New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Zug, Switzerland
“Expectations Exceeded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

As an American I usually think of the Crowne Plaza as the hotel my parents used to take us to--back in the day before Marriott and the burgeoning of the "upscale" middle class hotel. Unless I've been gone from the US for too long, the Crowne Plaza isn't generally the go to brand where you'd expect modern facilities and truly great food. The Crowne Plaza City Center blows the old stereotypes away--don't get me wrong, this is not a "luxury" hotel by any stretch and I am not sure why it won the Trip Advisor for luxury. But it's a truly solid, clean, consistent, and convenient hotel. Rooms are comfortable and well decorated and lit. Front desk staff lovely, welcoming, friendly. Restaurant--my biggest surprise--was fantastic for dinner! Very friendly servers and a decent breakfast in the morning. In my view this is solid and admirable 4* service--better than most Marriotts I've been to, and with better food than I've had at any hotel chain of this class. Well done Crowne Plaza! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EUtravelgal
, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear valued guest,

How wonderful to read we changed your mind about Crowne Plaza from stuffy and oldfashioned to "modern facilities and truly great food".

It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed our New Dorrius Restaurant and Bar and used it for both your breakfast and dinner. Our Executive Chef and his team work with pleasure to deliver the best dishes to our guests.

I hope to welcome you back soon to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre so you can continue to enjoy our service and comfortable facility in the heart of Amsterdam.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

The best part of this hotel is the location. It's a 5 minute walk to central station. Most of the central Amsterdam sights are just a short walk away, and for the more distant ones, you are directly next to a tram stop. We were upgraded for some reason to a larger room that had a living room area with a couch, so I can't comment on the average room size. It also faced an inner courtyard so there was no hint of street noise. The room was clean and well-maintained. The only negative to the stay was the wireless internet, which requires you to accept charges to use (even if internet is included in your rate--the charges get removed by the front desk). Throughout the day, the internet would stop working until you re-accepted the charges on a web browser screen (even though the sign-up is for a 24 hour period). Overall a minor nuisance. The hotel remains one of the best choices in the city for a central location with clean modern facilities.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

The hotel is indeed centrally located which we are very fortunate with our locating being this close to all the major venues in Amsterdam. I am very happy to see we were able to provide you with an upgrade.

I am sorry to read you were dissappointed with our internet service and connectivity. We do take take these comments seriously and are currently assessing which options we have to change the service and costs of the Internet.

We are delighted to read we are one of the best choices of the city because of location and facilities.

I hope to welcome you back to Amsterdam and the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam.

Best Wishes,

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel was renovated since the last time i was there 5 yrs. ago. Pretty lobby and the room I had was new, clean and really nice. Very impressed with the service. The staff was amazing. The staff is very attentive and friendly, 5-star service.
The location of this hotel is also great. It's about a 5 minute walk from Central Station so if you take the train into town you just cross the road and walk 1 block and your there.
Highly recommend this hotel, I hope i'm able to go back for a 3rd time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wtravels
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in regards to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre with the travel community.

The hotel in indeed fully renovated in 2009 all guest rooms and public areas were updated and We are delighted to see you enjoyed our efforts to rejuvenate the hotel.

It is wonderful to read your kind words in regards to our colleagues who are at our guests service every day.

We look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre in the near future.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Once again, we are impressed with this hotel and it's convenience to public transport. A block away from Centraal station and the tram stops as well as a block or two away from many shopping options.

Friendly, efficient, prompt service, housekeeping was right on top of things as was the front desk staff, received daily newspaper, coffee/tea facilities in room. Nothing was out of place or out of sync. All was exactly as it should be.

It rained the whole time we were here, so, once again, I take off one star since I had to go outside in the rain each time I wanted to smoke as the hotel is 100% non-smoking. The only place to smoke is right in front of the hotel.

I'll review the restaurant separately, but it breakfast was a very extensive spread. However, when not included in the rate it is 25 Euro per person so a 50 Euro breakfast for 2 is very, very expensive and worth looking elsewhere for a quick bite before exploring the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel so you do not hear the trams or trains.
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your kind review following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and are regulars to the Crowne Plaza.
I am sorry to read it rained during your entire stay. I will try and get some sun out for you on your next visit.

Looking forward welcoming you back to Amsterdam in the near future.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Super clean and friendly. Large sized rooms and great bathrooms. Staff was as friendly as could be. Manager even sent me surprise for my birthday, it was great!
Close to all and also across from main train station. Great restaurants steps away.
Grammy Sharon

Room Tip: Rooms were very quiet and spacious
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Ms Sharon,

Many thanks for your wonderful review following your Birthday visit to Amsterdam. I am delighted to read you decided to spent such a special occasion with us at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

I am also very pleased to read your comments in regards to the rooms size, cleanliness, location and friendliness of staff. It is great to receive such positive notes on so many assets of the hotel.

Hope to welcome you back to Amsterdam on your next celebrations.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

It was actually October of 2010 that we stayed at this property for 3 nights.
Very nice location to the heart of Amsterdam! Only about a 5 minute walk from train station.
Almost all of the main attractions in Amsterdam are within walking distance.
Great staff and the rooms were a nice change from most hotels in Amsterdam. Big rooms and big comfy beds which are nice after walking around all day.
We only ate their once and it was on the last day so we ordered room service. Great food and very fast service. They had overcharged us for 3 meals instead of two but we made one phone call downstairs and they fixed it no problem.
Only real complaint I had about this hotel was that one night my friend and I were returning to the hotel and the doors were locked. There were already two other couples there trying to buzz in and the two guys behind the front desk saw us and just stared. We all had keys but we couldn't even get into our own hotel! It was around 10-1am and we literally had to stand in the cold for about 30 minutes before they let us in.
I would recommend staying here if you want bigger rooms in the central part of Amsterdam which can be hard to find.
Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions that I may have left out about this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

many thanks for you comments following your stay of October 2010. It is always great to hear our guests thoughts on their stay.

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the location and size of the rooms. We have a mixture of rooms throughout the hotel from Standard to Executive rooms. The last roomtype includes Clublounge access and internet as well your room is equipped with a Nespresso coffeemaker and Ritual bath amenities.

My sincere apologies that you had to wait outside the hotel while trying to enter the hotel. It was not the intention to keep you waiting while getting access to the hotel. The doors overnight are indeed locked for security purposes, this does not however mean that our own guests should not be allowed access.

I would love to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. I promise you we will not keep you waiting,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I am just returning from a 3 nights stay in this excellent hotel prior to a Baltic cruise. I was with my husband and we were celebrating our 2 years aniversary, which I mentioned in an e-mail prior to arriving. We received a room upgrade and a "surprise" in the room (cava, cookies, a special note, complimentary wi-fi, etc). Even without this extra details, I could not have make a better choice for our Amsterdam stay.
Hotel is centrally located, short distance to Central Station, Dam Square, Red Distric; there is a tram station in front of the hotel. Room was in a corner, we were able to see 2 busy streets, in a low floor, but it was quiet, comfortable bed, modern decoration. Room and service was excellent, all staff very atentive and friendly (fast check in, good restaurant advise, concierge very helpful). We felt welcome. Taking into consideration all the advantages, price paid was well spend. I recommend without a doubt. After checking Tripadvisor and the advise of a travel agent, we are so glad that we chose to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review following your anniversary trip to Amsterdam and the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

It is great to hear you could not have made a better choice then to stay at our hotel during this special occasion. It was a pleasure to host you pre your Baltic Cruise.

We would be honoured to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre on your next special occasion.