This hotel is recommended for American travellers that don't want to gamble on European boutique hotels. How do I know? Because I am that American traveller that doesn't like to gamble on European boutique hotels.
The Crowne Plaza City Centre is in a great location. Do NOT make the mistake my wife and I made of taking the bus from the airport (This is especially for those that purchase the Holland pass). PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take the train to the Central Station. The tickets are quite reasonable and the ride is about 15mins. Once you arrive at the Central Station, you have a pleasant 10min walk to the hotel. If you're feeling tired- you can always hop on the tram.
The hotel is modern; the staff is quite hospitable; and last but not least- the hotel is clean! Cleanliness means a great deal to my wife and I. We were both very pleased.
Note to fellow American travellers: unlike many European hotels, the Crowne Plaza City Centre has face towels. Face towels (aka as wash cloths) and European hotels don't always go hand and hand. When we visited Prague, they offered hand towels rather than face towels. It's the little things, you know?
As for ammenities, the fitness room they have is quite adequate. If memory serves me correctly, there are five cardio machines; a dumbbell rack; a bench; one palates ball; and a three station machine weight centre. The fitness room is of descent size- I didn't feel smothered at all (and I worked out twice in a 3-day stay). The room also has a water cooler w/ cups; and a mens and women's changing room (w/ additional towels available). The fitness room also has a good size flat screen mounted on the wall.
The office centre has 3 desktops and a printer for those that need to print directions, passes or plane tickets. Your lodging fee also includes one bottle of Spa sparkling water that housekeeping replaces after each visit. Note: My wife and I don't believe anything is complimentary- YOU PAID FOR IT! The rooms also have easy to use safes. We didn’t have any worries about locking up our passports; jewellery; gadgets; etc.
We didn’t eat at the onsite restaurant, or make use of the snack refrigerator in our room. Ice machines are not on every floor. We stayed on the 5th floor, and I had to go to the 6th floor for ice. That was not a big deal at all.
Last but not least, the hotel is surrounded by plenty of shops; eateries; cafes, and coffee shops. If you're not one for walking, the closest tram stop is no more than a 3min walk from the hotel.
The only gripe I have is the fee associated w/ wifi. There is no reason anyone should have to pay for Internet or wifi. I didn’t allow this one hiccup to jade my overall experience.
My wife and I have already made this our hotel of choice if we're ever in Amsterdam.
Bottom line: Great location; clean; secure, convenient and a descent rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimpton De Witt is the first Kimpton hotel outside the Americas, a true debut in Europe. The hotel is situated in the heart of Amsterdam's vibrant city centre and near Amsterdam’s Centraal station. Set within three original Renaissance-era buildings, it features 274 guest rooms, including 15 signature rooms and suites, and eight meeting rooms. Wyers Bar & Restaurant, run by Executive Chef SammyD, offers American comfort food with a Dutch twist. In line with Kimpton’s innovative and playful approach to design, the hotel features a “house within a hotel” – a four-storey ‘Little House’ which was once the childhood home of Dutch playwright, P.C. Hooft and dates back to the 1500s. Other distinctive features include a flower shop within the hotel and a Miss Louisa Coffee & Beignets walk-up window for locals to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Amsterdam