“Very nice hotel”

Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American
Ranked #73 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Was welcomed by Clayton at the front desk and from the very first impressions he gave I knew it would be a great stay, and we was not disappointed, the hotel is clean, tidy and the staff, from the front desk to the cleaners, bar staff were all very polite, the room we stayed in was the basic kind, but rest assured the room was big, as was the bed, we had an internal balcony which was great, quiet and very private, the Hotel is right on top of the main square, which can get noisy, but we heard nothing from our room, this is the forth time I have visited Amsterdam and have stayed in lower end hotels as well as higher end hotel/apartments, but let me say when I return it will be here I stay again, it's not the most expensive I have stayed in, but value for money you will not beat, one very small downside was the Sauna was out of service whilst some work was be done during renovation works, but to be honest that did not take away anything from the break, thanks to everyone at the Hotel for a lovely break,

Room Tip: room with internal balcony are very quiet, and during the summer a great sun trap for those who enjo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and your review posting. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit. Our apologies for the necessary healt & safety maintenance works to our sauna during your stay. We hope to be able to welcome you again soon. With best regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My grand daughter and I shared a lovely evening sitting in the bar overlooking the beautiful fountain. The lights in the water shimmered against the dark night sky as we chatted about her dreams and expectations from life.
The staff were very kind and the bar serves a great martini cocktail.
Thanks so much.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your experiences, we are happy that you enjoyed your visit to the bar. Best regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a very nice hotel for a city holiday in Amsterdam, great location, professional staff, a special mention for the morning shift concierge who is really friendly and always willing to help out.
The breakfast at 20 euros per head is excellent.
The rooms are okay, I would recommend an upgrade to deluxe rooms with a view at 50 euros per night if you will be spending any considerable length of time in the room.
Would definitely stay there again.
Tip : there's a bus that goes to the airport right across from the hotel at 5 euros only, discovered that a bit late, but thought my fellow travellers should know.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank brightstar777

Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and your review posting. We are glad to hear that you had a satisfactory stay at the hotel. With best regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights on business. I appreciated the central location, just steps from the bus to/from the airport. The staff was very helpful and the sleeping room quite large. At least one other reviewer noted the availability of elevators, but they may only get you so far. I stayed on the mezzanine level and there are a few stairs between the elevator and the rooms, so you still have to lift your bags up and down a bit.

The large room I had facing the canal was excellent and clean. One of my colleagues had a room that was so drafty he had to ask for blankets to stuff around the windows, but that was not my experience. It may be because I was on the mezzanine level and the windows were doubled up. I would recommend this hotel for either business or leisure.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are much nicer.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and your review posting. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. With best regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have stayed at this property over the last 25 years as it has changed management over the years. The current team is one disaster after another. For a four star hotel this is pathetic. The windows leaked cold air, there were no extra blankets - the management did provide an electric heater and blankets when advised about the situation. There were no shampoo, conditioner, shower cap in the bathroom. There was construction noise during the day. Despite paying for a deluxe room at almost 200 euros a night the check in folks refused to give us a renovated room!

The bar service was appalling - it took over 30 minutes to get served and when the bill came they had charged for the wrong order. Instead of a simple acknowledgement of an error they tried to blame the wrong order on me.
The cafe is wonderful but again the service was appalling - one morning they claimed to have even run out of croissants! They claimed to have corrected a mischarge but when I was ready to check out the error was still there!

The hotel is a classic with a very good location - especially for the trams and the museums. I suggest avoiding the restaurants on the Leidesplein - ask the concierge for recommendations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canals
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atamrao

Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and your review posting. Our apologies for some malfunctionings and service hick-ups. Could you inform us in which room you stayed? We are in the starting phase of renovating the less contemporary rooms. Should you wish to book with us again, we should discuss the preferred room type upfront to avoid renewed disappointment. Construction works in the city are sometimes unfortunately inevitable. With best regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were generally quite satisfied with the hotel. It even has an elevator, not many of Amsterdam hotels have a lift. Room was spacy and a quite one. Breakfast was really great. They even served Prosecco for breakfast, we didn't go for it, but for our amusement some pensioners from Germany did. One incident we had with cleaning services as when we came back from the city in the evening, our room had not been cleaned. Our notification was handled appropriately, and this really did not affect our general positive impression at all. I would recommend this hotel for everyone.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your visit and your review posting. Our apologies for the late room cleaning. In fact, we even serve champagne with our breakfast buffet! We hope to be able to welcome you again soon. With best regards,

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My business has brought me through Amsterdam several times a year since 2001. I cannot say enough good things. The staff has primarily remained the same. So many of the staff members remember my name and greet me when I arrive as well as during my stay there. My rooms are upgraded often, great bar, restaurant. It is an absolutely beautiful building in a prime location! I cannot recommend this hotel enough! I have even contacted them in the past when online reservations told me there was not availability for my dates and they manged to find me a room nevertheless. It is my Amsterdam home - and the restaurant CASTEL, down the street is excellent as well!

Room Tip: Alwasy say you are 2 guests, same rate, bigger room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Dear Guest, thank you for your review posting and frequent visits. Your encouraging remarks are an absolute motivation to keep working on product and services. In order to keep matching, and hopefully, exceeding expectations. With best regards,