WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“The Way It Should Be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was a very good stay at the American. Quite different that my last stay and review. As I've said before, something about my experience at this hotel seems to always go the way check in goes. I emailed ahead of time that I hope that an early check in will be available for me. My flight was quite delayed, so I only got there about 45 minutes before the posted check in time. I got to the front desk, asked if I can check in. After a pause, looking at the computer and a card file, I was reminded check in time was 3pm (it was 2:15), and that my room was ready. That was nice of them to let me in...In my mind, the rooms at the American with a balcony over looking the canal cannot be beat for scenery and ambiance. The first thing I did was turn the air conditioning on full blast as it was July, the room was hot; and I needed to make sure before I cracked a bag open that it was working. I checked out the beautiful view, relaxed, and; the air was working fine! I like that the hotel has 24 hour room service. The late night menu is fine, and the fact that you can order a beer at any hour of the day is nice. This is the first year in many that William did not deliver anything when I ordered late. The concierge/bellman I have seen every year as long as I can remember. They cheerfully answer the same question that I ask every year as if it was the first time that they have been asked by anyone; "how do I get to Haarlem from here". The free internet is kind of slow; but it is free. I did not use the pay version, so I can't say how that is. Last year I had to get a card from the front desk that had a code to punch in to use the internet. During several of my days they were out of the 24 hour cards, and only had 1 hour cards, so I had to keep logging on going through the entire process. This year you do not need the cards, you just log in once for the day, and you are set, a nice improvement. I did not stop at the Café, but did at Bar Americain. The service was good, and got a nice recommendation on food. This was a nice stay, and I hope that my next will be just as good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dwight S
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for re-trying us and your review. It was much appreciated that you did make the effort book us agin to experience the comprehensive modifications that were carried out to our air-conditioning system. Right on time for the hot summer we had. Of course it is our goal to make all your future visits as satisfactory as this one. With best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We loved this hotel. Could not fault the service from the very friendly staff, the rooms was large and clean. Fab decor and much more character than the generic chain hotels.
We got a taxi from the train station but walked everywhere once we'd got our bearings. The hotel was perfect location for the sights and there's lots of bars and restaurants nearby for the evening.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank xxtigerxx
Dear Guest, Thank you for your stay and your review posting. We are proud that the character of the hotel was acknowledged and appreicated so much. This is a real motivation for the entire team to continue to radiate the right charm and service. With best regards,
Espoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Good, traditional hotel in an old building (once a castle?). Renovated with care. Situation next to Leideplein, which is the hub of theatres, cinemas etc. Rooms are of medium size, very clean. We took room facing inner yard, as we wanted aquiet room. There was no view but we could not hear any noise from the streets nor canals and slept very well indeed.

Room Tip: As mentioned earlier: if you want to have a good night's sleep, take a room facing inner yard. I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and your visit. Although the building indeed has some charasteristics of a castle, it was build as a hotel 111 years ago. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. With best regards,
Riyadh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Booked this hotel through Emirates Holidays and selected it because I liked the look of the place and most of the reviews I read. We stayed a week and had a room on the 4th floor, canal side with a balcony, which we really appreciated as we sat out most evenings with a drink before heading out for dinner. Location is withing easy reach of everything, walking or cycling, and there are some great restaurants close by.
Only minor complaint would be that it seemed impossible to adjust the AC to lower than 20degC - I like a cold room for sleeping.
I'd be happy to stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Canal side is quieter than the side over the square.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review posting. Because the weather had turned to colder "Autumn" weather, the air-conditioning system was shifted to heating. In that case, cooling is limited to approx. 19 degrees. We hope to welcome you again. Best regards,
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are looking for an reasonably price and well situated hotel, this is the place. The staff is kind, courteous, knowledgeable, patient and kind. The rooms are larger than most European hotels and the property is located very close to all the museums as well as within reasonable walking distance to Dam Square. If you want to take a canal tour, it's right outside the hotel door plus you can take a bus directly to/from the airport to the hotel (bus 197). The price is reasonable for this city and you will stay in a historic building with an amazing ambiance.

Room Tip: Many people have stated that the rooms are noisy, we had no problem.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue E
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and review posting. You have summarized the advantages of our hotel and location very well for future travellers. We are glad that you also enjoyed the service and entourage. We hope to see you again. Best regards,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

pay 280euro per night got a small room with a view to a service place to air condition that was under construction so people was working outside ,internet connection of 128K .
bathroom to small and with no water pressure.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oferka
Dear Guest, thank you for your visit and your review posting. We are sorry to hear that the necessary renovation works caused disturbance and frustration. Some guests prefer your room type because it is rather quiet. The wifi capacity is actually more than 128KB, should you desire even more, vouchers for high capacity can be purchased. We shall carefully look into the water pressure. It is at a certain level to comply with environmental standards for the Green Key label. I you would try us again, let us arrange a room that meets with all your requirements to try and change your opinion. We hope that you will take us up on that proposal. With best regards,
Lillestrom, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is has the City theater and the Bellevue theater as neighbors and just a short walk to find bus or the tram line. Outside the main entrance you will find a canal and one of the many boat stops for sightseeing.
The hotel is old and there are a wide range of different rooms and stairways to the rooms. Some of the rooms are on the same level as an elevator, but not all of them. If you have problems with stairs advice the hotel up front. They will do their best to help you.
We met a helpful and smiling service at the reception. The concierge doubled as a bellboy and our suitcases came pretty fast to our room.
Our room was on the 4 floor on the corner facing Leidseplein and the city theater. Please be aware that this also is a bit noisy. The tramway almost runs 24 hours a day and especially often in the early morning bringing the commuters to their jobs. It is possible, but not recommended to sleep with an open window.
Cleaning was as good as expected. The maid was also making sure that you was the right person to enter the room if you tested her. I liked that.
Breakfast was OK, but nothing special. The cost was aprox 15,50 euros when ordered and payed up front at the reception and 4,- euros extra if you just turned up. The restaurant and the bar where popular and had a decent service.
A taxi from the airport was aprox 40,- euros (August 2013).
We where 8 persons in 4 rooms and had a good offer for the price. To just by a full price room seams expensive, but so are Amsterdam hotels. For a private person I would recommend to consider a hotel outside the city limits even though this location was nice and close nough to several interesting sights.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal is quieter than rooms facing Leidseplein.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 50_years
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your detailed review> A review that describes the hotel and its services in a manner that is hopefully useful for travellers that are looking for the most befitting accomodation in Amsterdam. With best regards,