Today is my fifth day staying at Amsterdam American Hotel. I am happy to report that I have no regret to stay here.
When I planned a trip to Netherlands for my husband's birthday, I did a lot of research and reserved a room at Amsterdam American Hotel as our base because of its location, history, architecture characteristics, and pricing. Two days before we left for our trip, I almost canceled my reservation after reading some recent posts about problems with Amsterdam American Hotel, including noise from exterior repair, unhelpful staff, and rundown interior, etc. I started to search for other hotels, but found about 10% "terrible" or "poor" rating for almost all 4-star hotels in Amsterdam except one hotel - Notting Hill Hotel. I decided to take a chance thinking that 90% of the reviews of Amsterdam American Hotel was positive. I am glad we took a risk to stay at this hotel despite some negative commons. I planned to write a review of our stay after our trip (we will stay here for another three days), but I could not wait to share our experience with everyone here.
(1) Noise: It is true that the hotel is under exterior repair. Approximately one forth of the exterior is currently covered with scaffold, but not "entirely covered with scaffold" as noted in other posts. We are staying in room 4, a room facing canal, which is not covered with scaffold. It is a very quiet room and there is no street noise or noise from repair.
(2) Staff: All the staff we have encountered so far are very helpful. They are not chatty, but always willing to help, from giving directions to places to making recommendations for restaurants and attractions. Prior to our trip, I emailed the hotel to ask about direction from the airport to the hotel. I received a whole page long detailed instruction about how to get to the hotel by taxi, train, or bus. The hotel staff recommended taking bus #197, which is the best option based on our experience. However, we did not find out this until yesterday when we went to Keukenhof Garden via the airport. When we arrived in Amsterdam, we were tired and thought taking an airport hotel shuttle bus would be easier than the bus #197 due to concerns of handling our luggages on the bus. The reality is that the bust #197 has luggage racks and it has a stop right outside of the hotel. On the other hand, the airport hotel shuttle made us waited for nearly two hours until there were enough passengers going to hotels in the same area as our hotel. We regret we did not follow the recommendation of our hotel staff. Oh, the bus #197 costs 4 Euros per person per trip; the airport hotel shuttle costs 16 Euros per person per trip. It is no brainer that the bus #197 is the best choice.
(3) Interior: The interior of this hotel is beautiful, clean, and well maintained. There are some beautiful paintings on display, showing the rich history of art in this beautiful city.
(4) Location: As noted in previous posts, this hotel is centrally located. Several major museums are within walking distance, plenty of eateries are right outside of the hotel, and all means of transportation (i.e., tram, bus, and boat) (we have not used metro yet) are in front of the hotel.
(5) Room: Our room is specious with a seating area and a fireplace. it is clean and comfortable. I was concerned about bed and pillows because of some negative comments in previous posts. I am happy to report that our bed and pillows are very comfortable. Oh, I prepared for the worst, but pleasantly suprised that robs, slippers, toothbrush, and toothpaste are provided. Our bathroom is not too spacious, but sufficient. No compliant.
(6) Extra: We arrived on my husband's birthday. Prior to our trip, I emailed the hotel to do something special for his birthday when we check in, such as a note card saying "Happy Birthday" in our room. My request was honored with (1) a staff member checked us gave my husband a handshake and said "Happy Birthday" to him; and (2) we got a coupon of a free drink at the American Cafe/Bar. Both my husband and I appreciate it.
(7) Anything that could have been better? So far our experience has been very positive except one thing. We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 am and we were tired after a long flight. We were told our room was not ready and had to wait until 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon. I wish the hotel staff had told us we could go upstairs to rest or get something to eat at their Cafe knowing that we had a long flight overnight. Because nothing was offered at our check in, we decided to venture out. We went to the park nearby and stayed in the cold in the park until 2 pm. Luckily, our room was ready then. On our way to our room, we realized that there were plenty of comfortable seatings upstair. where we could have waited there. The business center is also upstairs, where we could have used for emailing our family and friends while we were waiting. We wish the hotel staff have told us that. Or we should have asked.
(8) Stay tuned: We are going to stay here for another three days. I might share more experience here. Stay tuned. Thank you for reading this long review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American has a rich history. In 1882, the first hotel guests stayed at this unique location on Leidseplein. The current building dates from 1902 and is a wonderful example of Jugenstil. Right at the centre of this national monument is Cafe Americain, the hotspot where (hotel) guests and Amsterdam residents enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- American Hotel Amsterdam