“Fall in Amsterdam”

Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American
Ranked #74 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in Amsterdam. It is one of the most beautiful and exciting cities I've visited. The Amsterdam American Hotel is nice. It's not fancy, but it is clean and it has terrific room service. We ordered a pizza and wine around midnight. It arrived quickly and the pizza was great! The hotel also has a very good restaurant. I had the most incredible French onion soup. The hotel is centrally located so you are able to walk or take a water taxi any where in the city. I also bought water taxi passes before we left the states. Passes are a must have.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,308)

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel is convenient to many popular tourist spots and a large variety of restaurants. Rooms are relatively large with a small seating area by the window. We had a balcony over the square and enjoyed the sights, but had no noise problem so long as the window was closed. Rooms are clean and modern, Internet is free, this is a pleasant, practical hotel.

1  Thank Ann W
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel offered great location and great value, and is a stunning landmark in its own right (though unprepossessing lobby). The location just off Leidesplein and on the Singel was excellent, 10-15 minute walk to the center, a 5 minute walk to the Museumplein, with Blue Boat canal boats located just down the Stadhouderskade as is the Vondelpark. Just around the corner in the Leidseplein there is a very helpful ticket/information bureau Uitburo -- where we bought our Museumkaart museum passes (since we used them at 10 sights, we found it a great deal). Rooms are spacious by Amsterdam standards, with free wifi IN ROOM (unusual) as well as a business center with computers/printers, and AC. There are paddleboats for rent right by hotel's boat dock, and the hotel itself has bikes you can use (there is a fee). Our rooms did not face square and were among the quietest we have ever stayed in. The hotel's Bar Americain and Cafe Americain (especially the latter) are stunning, and have outdoor terraces by a fountain. Food at Cafe Americain, sadly, was a big disappointment (and we never breakfasted there). Go for a drink or dessert only. We were four people with a fair amount of luggage -- cab from airport was less than 40 euros (would have cost more to take the Connexion hotel shuttle from Schiphol with a per person cost of 16 euros - and more time, as well).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PamoNewYork
A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A lovely view of the canal and beside the best square in Amsterdam. Noisy during the night but was not really a problem. Excellent hotel and exceptional service. I liked the view of the canal, but others might like to see the life in the square.
I was here for my birthday and was able to have a bucks fizz at 0930 and I am not a drinker. It was so special enjoying breakfast in this elegant and gorgeous restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our room was clean, neat, well-appointed and sizable, esp. for Europe. Main hotel interaction was with the front desk staff, all of whom were terrific in answering questions and otherwise helping us out. We stayed here some 15 years ago, and the breakfast buffet then was amazing, now very ordinary, but the hotel overall was a very good choice. Location by the museums was very convenient. Easy to recommend staying here, can't say enough about the front desk folks. Free internet access also much appreciated.

Room Tip: A room facing the canal gives a very nice view, and is not noisy.
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Located on the Leidseplein within a short walk from Vondelpark, the fashion and museum district (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedeljk Museum) as well as across the street from the on and off Canal Boats. Also you can take the number 197 bus directly from Schipal Airport to in front of the hotel for 4 Euro instead of 45 Euro by taxi ($37 fixed rate from the hotel to the airport so if you want a taxi do negociate.) The desk people and staff could not be nicer and more helpful. The rooms are large by European standards. You can ask for a room with a balcony overlooking Leisestraat. They gave it to us twice without an upcharge. There is coffee in the rooms and a bakery and cheese shop up the street so you could have breakfast on the balcony. The rooms are clean but have very basic older furniture. Since there were additions to the hotel over the years there are steps in halls in some sections so you can ask for a room where you would not encounter them. There is free WiFi for guests and four computers for guest use. Other people said that they enjoyed the American Bar at the front of the hotel that has outside seating on the square with a very nice fountain and pedestrian traffic to enjoy. I booked online for both June and July dates before and after a cruise and that rate was about $176.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies facing the street would be noisier but still worth having the balcony. Interio...
2  Thank RUguy
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Ww decided to stay in this hotel based on its location. We took the bus,197, from the airport so its as easy as it can be to reach the hotel. A small ride enjoyed the scenery. We booked a triple room, with a canal view from the hotel's webside and thats what we took.
The free computers at the lobby was a plus!
The room was a double room with an extra bed at the first floor and it wasn't very large.The bathroom on the other hand, was the smallest I even stayed!!!!
When checking in, I was asked for a credit card, so I gave one, I thought they wanted to check something as I already paid for the room, in advanced by charging my visa card.
When leaving I paid for the extra tax in cash, and I was told that I had no other charge.
After a week when I was looking my credit card statement, I found a charge from the hotel, on the day of my arrival for 90 euro. After some e-mails, I was told that it was a guarantee charge and it took 15-20 days to have the money back. I must say that the management immediately answered to my e-mail, explaining the situation, and maybe the banks, are to blame for resolving the problem after 2-3 weeks.
But I think that the employee at the front desk should have informed me about charging my credit card before proceeding. Cause its a really bad surprise to see an unexpected charge on your credit card!
And of course the other employee forgot to recall the guarantee charge???!!!
Nevertheless when in Amsterdam I'll choose for the same hotel, as the location is one of a kind and its a really clean hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends