“Excellent”

MAX Amsterdam
Ranked #38 of 4,096 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Open only for dinner, starting at 6pm. Adventurous food in a Cosmopolitan relaxed setting, located in the heart of Amsterdam's most beautiful canal area. MAX is a place to explore a new International cuisine with the additional flavours of MamaMax' traditional Indonesian home cooking. No nonsene good food, fresh and sparkling spiced. Forget the Michellin star's copies on your plate but enjoy simply our well cooked classics with a new creatieve touch. Guests minded and friendly service. MAX has a short uncomplicated interesting wine list, excellence wines for reasonable prices. Seperate open room for function up 20 persons. Mondays open on request for business groups.
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Dined here on 1 occasion, the food was fantastic-we were a group of 7 and had clean plates all round.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

As a true foodie, i am always looking for good restaurants, both for business and pleasure. This is an absolute treasure i found last night! The food is great! Healthy but extremely tasty, good portions: i took the rendang (slowly cooked meat) on a bed of crispy salad as starter and the aubergine as main course. My friends had the scallops/salad for starter and shared the MAX's special (tender chicken) - amazing! We had good wine, but Max has also wine by the glass- equally good. The desert: perfect! I had the chocolate cake with fruit and a kind or clodded cream or sour cream, exciting combination that leaves you with a happy feeling. Before someone reads this and thinks: "eeuuw, healthy food" i feel i should add a brief clarification. It is so nice to eat a tender and tasty chicken with CRISPY vegetable that is not overcooked and tastes like boiled water! What i never like with Asian kitchen is the overcooked boring vegetable and the rice. Also, you will leave with a good feeling: your throat will not be in flames for a week meanwhile it is spicy but the spices are used great and you will not have the feeling that you swallowed a half cow. I will come back here regularly: a happy place for my vegetarian mom also! Well done, Max!

1  Thank Belletjeheenenweer
MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your Fantastic review about us. It makes me and also the rest of the team really happy to read such beautiful reviews.
I like healthy food, I like crispy vegetables, I like slow food, I like tasteful food and I like a lot of my mom's Indonesian no nonsens home cooking food,. Creating a new combination with all of those good things is an important part of our style of cooking and presentation. It's our signature.
Thank you again for enjoying our food.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had just one night in Amsterdam and managed to get a table at this little hidden gem. Waiters were very helpful, food was amazing and it was reasonably priced.

I had the lamb and it was cooked perfectly and the sauce was delicious. To top it all off the dessert was a banana pie with rum sauce and ice cream. One of the best desserts I have ever had.

Definitely worth a visit

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The food is awesome. Lot of choice and it is very special. We are disappointed about the service from Max. Maybe it's a mistake. Hope next time the service is better.

3  Thank Wilsonontour
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went last night without reservation and all the personal were very nice... Finally they gave us a table, the food was exclellent and amazing convination of flavours, the desserts OMG!!!! Tks... I recommend the food, service and everything there. I am afraid of indonesian food but in MAX I'll eat again!!

1  Thank Natalia G