“Fantastic food....ditzy waitress.”

MAX Amsterdam
Ranked #52 of 4,307 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Open only for dinner, starting at 6pm. Adventurous food in a Cosmopolitan relaxed setting, located in the heart of Amsterdam's most beautiful canal area. MAX is a place to explore a new International cuisine with the additional flavours of MamaMax' traditional Indonesian home cooking. No nonsene good food, fresh and sparkling spiced. Forget the Michellin star's copies on your plate but enjoy simply our well cooked classics with a new creatieve touch. Guests minded and friendly service. MAX has a short uncomplicated interesting wine list, excellence wines for reasonable prices. Seperate open room for function up 20 persons. Mondays open on request for business groups.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were lucky to get in without a reservation. Waitress took our order without writing anything down. 3 courses for my partner and two for me. Needless to say, she got it all mixed up but the food was amazing when we got it. Nice atmosphere. Delicious sorbet type drink for dessert!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,947)

A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Great style and a flair of Indonesian culture. Get the tasting menu and try a bit of everything!

The amout of food for your money is phenomenal. Great tasting food, and you will leave stuffed.

MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed our food. The Max' Rijsttafel is indeeed a good opportunity to try the different tastes of the Indonesian kitchen and a 3 course tasting menu for 35 euro is a good price, isn't it ? We try do our best to serve good food with good quality and also with good value.
Hope to see you back at MAX Amsterdam.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The first two times we visited this restaurant in 2012 we were absolutely 'wowed' by it. The service was friendly and impeccable, the food was memorable, the atmosphere and environment chic yet comfortable and we went away feeling we had experienced something really special.

When we revisited the restaurant in May 2013 the service was still good but the food was only adequate, and it seemed a lot of money for what we got. The lamb tasted like liver and my confit of duck was dry. We had booked to visit a second time during our trip, but I e-mailed to cancel, explaining our disappointment. I had a very charming and apologetic reply from Max, explaining he had been away on that evening and asking for more details, which I provided. So I'm quite prepared to believe that we happened to attend on a bad night - even the best restaurants get them.

I shall certainly give it another chance when we are next in Amsterdam, not least because my disappointment was dealt with with great courtesy

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place is a pearl in Amsterdam, inspiring food without paying too much. there is a 3 course meal for 35 euro that really worth this price. I tried the vegetarian option such as mushroom for starters and aubergine for main, i even couldn't resist and had the banana as a desert.

if you want to eat in style in amsterdam .. do try this place.

1  Thank dragnot
MaxLumankun, General Manager at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write about us and glad to know that you like our vegetarian options. They are very popular at MAX and actually the spicy egg plant became also one of my favourites.
Thank you again and hope to see you again.
Max

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Visited this restaurant we found totally by chance down one of the little streets between two canals. The service was fast and friendly, the food was just amazing! My husband had the medley of Indonesian food and I had a salad starter and a cod main course (which was cooked to perfection). All in all, would highly recommend and will definitely go back next time we visit Amsterdam.

MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write this friendly review. Happy to know that you like our International food and like a lot the words that you used: the medley of Indonesian food.
Thanks, Max.