“Very very good!!!!!”

MAX Amsterdam
Ranked #39 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Open only for dinner, starting at 6pm. Adventurous food in a Cosmopolitan relaxed setting, located in the heart of Amsterdam's most beautiful canal area. MAX is a place to explore a new International cuisine with the additional flavours of MamaMax' traditional Indonesian home cooking. No nonsene good food, fresh and sparkling spiced. Forget the Michellin star's copies on your plate but enjoy simply our well cooked classics with a new creatieve touch. Guests minded and friendly service. MAX has a short uncomplicated interesting wine list, excellence wines for reasonable prices. Seperate open room for function up 20 persons. Mondays open on request for business groups.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Blending of indo and French and morracan were wonderful. For ny city standards this place ranks high for a place witlh a medium price.
Also decent wine list at good prices.

MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for liking our International food combination. We do our best to select tose tastes. Would be nice to introduce the our Indonesian International food in MAX New York. Till that time hope we can see you soon again in MAX Amsterdam.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is one of the best meals I have had in the past few years - interestingly modern Indonesian-fusion food. Service was really outstanding - you get everything you need and the waiter was professional and friendly without being obtrusive (which is quite a rare combination).

Food was cooked perfectly. We had the spicy pumpkin starter (wonderful - it is pretty spicy but utterly delicious) and the chicken in pancake (one of the best starters I have had ever), followed by sea bass on a banana leaf (my ideal kind of food).

Our meal was about 100 euros with drinks and pudding, so it is not cheap. But a truly lovely experience that made our trip to Amsterdam. Thanks!

1  Thank Cerys450

Thank you for enjoying and describing our food and service and hope to see you and your friends soon again in MAX Amsterdam.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived about 9:30 on a sat night and there were only 2 other tables in so lacked atmosphere a bit. The food is not too badly priced but the drinks are expensive. Also they put a bottle of water on the table as soon as we sat down however failed to mention that it was €5 and not complimentary.
The cheapest wine is €20 and its average wine.
For dinner we had the beef, which was tasty but a little rich with the merlot sauce and sauerkraut. Our bill came to €90 for 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of wine.
Overall was an ok restaurant but not as good as we'd hoped from the previous reviews.

1  Thank SMW2002
MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear guest, We had a very busy Saturday night, it was even fully booked but most of them had an early dinner maybe Party plans? who knows. Your table was even already used before you came in at 21.30 that's why we still had to put a bottle of water on your table as soon you sat down. We are not use and don't have to mention our regular guests that a bottle of mineral water will cost you 5 euro if you drink that. If you don't understand this maybe MAX Amsterdam is just not the right place for you.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked MAX well in advance of our visit to Amsterdam. I mentioned to Max by email that it was my partner's birthday the evening of our visit & when we were seated he brought two lovely flutes containing an aperitif on the house.

Service was fantastic, unhurried & unobtrusive, yet with a personal touch. I must agree with other reviewers that haven eaten in some of the top restaurants across Europe & America I rate this as probably the best food I have tasted in many years.

We opted for the starter & main courses to leave room for dessert. I devoured the Balinese curry, aubergine salad & the famous banana pie, whilst the birthday boy thoroughly enjoyed a tomato & mozzarella salad, beef & a chocolate dessert. We also enjoyed the dessert wine recommendations & I'd a lovely glass of white Rioja whilst the BB had a rich red to accompany the beef.

There seemed to be a large group of work colleagues there during our visit who were in good spirits, but that just added to the atmosphere & the quality of food & didn't suffer.

I was so impressed I want to return with guests for my 40th in almost two years time, but hope to return sooner! Keep up the good work Max & all the team.

1  Thank Dellywelly
MaxLumankun, Owner at MAX Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for writing this nice review. It was a pleasure for us to make you happy on your birthday. Hope see you next time again, Max.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We chose the 29E menu, one small plate and one main. My first course of pumpkin salad, described as sweet and spicy, was WAY to spicy for me. I specifically asked if it would be and was assured that it would not.... wish that had been true! However my main course of lamb, sauced with a port/coconut sauce also described as spicy, was just perfect - in fact outstanding! And my husband's duck breast was stellar, with a star anise and cinnamon reduction that was quite unusual. Very interesting flavors here - Indonesian and European, a cool vibe with interesting jazz playing in the background. Would definitely return, but would stick with dishes not described as spicy!

Thank you for taking time to write this good review. I'm sorry that some food are good spiced. Because the colonial Indonesian heritage the Dutch might be more used in eating spicy food. If you're coming next time, please try our Not Indonesian dishes, they are not spicy at all.
Max