This was our first trip to Amsterdam and was a treat for my girlfriend so chose a 4* hotel as a special birthday surprise. As there was snow on the ground and was slightly worried about delayed flights and getting stuck for a couple of days in another country without a hotel room and ATOL protection I decided to book through a travel agent and pay in the region of £850 for 3 nights B&B and flights.
On arrival at the hotel we where really impressed with the check in, however I was slightly bemused when my credit card was charged £83 to cover any damages that may occur during our stay?? (Now in the hands of credit card dispute department as money taken without authority).
On arrival to our our room (607) I was really dismayed to see a small room with a double bed pushed against the the wall and every bit of floor space taken up with either chairs, or a table.etc (I could not sit on the floor by the side of the bed and put my shoes on due to lack of space. The room looked like a single with a double bed put in it.). To top matters off the room must have been a smoking room at one stage as the ceiling and walls where tinged with yellow.
The bathroom was not much better. As it was -7 outside I would have liked some heat, however with the radiator half hanging off we could not get it to turn on.
There was a maintainence tag to put on the door which we put out on the first morning for housekeeping, however that was simply placed back in our room every day and no action taken to fix the problems.
On the second day my girlfriend came back to our room as she forgot her camera. When she got back our room door was wide open where housekeeping had been in, then left it wide open for ANYONE else to come in as they please after they had finished.
Then only good thing about the hotel is the honesty and politness of the bar staff and the way in which they are meant to serve meals, run the bar, keep bar tabs and keep the bar clean as well as serving coffee in reception at the same time.
I think the way in which the star system is awarded, is awarded differently in Amsterdam compared to the UK and that possibly the "Die Port van Cleve Hotel" may be a three star rather than a four star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam