“Very Average..”
Review of Die Port van Cleve

Die Port van Cleve
Ranked #90 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went here with my boyfriend back in Febraury 2013, it was a christmas present for myself, we went with another couple. When first arriving we literally went straight to a coffee shop just to try some stuff out because we couldn't check into our hotel? After smoking an little bit of weed, we were in a bit of a daze and were standing right outside our hotel but didn't know because there was scaffholdings all infront of it! After entering and checking in, we were asked to sign a no smoking form which is weird because I have never seen a form for no smoking, which made us feel a bit odd because obviously we'd just come from a coffee shop!

The hotel was just average, nothing really special about it, it's good but I could find better. Location is very good as the square is just across the road so it didn't take long. They were very helpful with getting us a cab to make our way home. If you are a couple and looking for a romantic hotel, I suggest looking into the Toren, our friends stayed there and it was so lovely, I was so jealous! But nothing really too bad to say about this hotel, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Located close to the central station and city center. A bit noisy from the street outside since the tram stops just outside the hotel. Nice and clean rooms. The staff was a bit uninterested at times but they were good at answering questions.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a decent hotel with a good standard. Great location for getting around in the Dam. It's not far from the Central Station (trains to and from Schipol), walking distance, about 15 minutes. The only problem I had with it is that the rooms are way to small.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights from 7th July 2014 . Very central location , beside Dam square , good shops nearby,10 minute walk to central station. Tram and bus stop outside. Staff very friendly and efficient . The hotel has character , love the tiles ,it was the original Heineken brewery .Hotel clean and tidy.Our room was on 4th floor. 2 lifts to floors as well as stairs. Spacious bedroom with amble storage space. Extra pillows provided. The room had tea /coffee making facilities , safe , loads of towels and toiletries in bathroom. Hair dryer was provided in bathroom , I only used it to clear condensation of mirror as I had brought my own. Good tv signal and choice of channels to watch including BBC . Numerous sockets which is handy when trying to charge a couple of phones. Good wifi signal. Bed comfortable . Loads of hot water for showers .2 extra chairs and a small table . Small fridge . Air conditioning unit. Hotel information booklet. Room clean and maid service daily changed towels and replenished supplies. Booked breakfast it a buffet serve yourself . Good choice of hot and cold . Cereals, cold meats and cheese, fruit , yoghurt , breads, fruit juice , bacon , eggs , sausages , waffles , pancakes , muffins , tea and coffee. Left luggage facility. Will recommend to friends and will use again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Turky26
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days 2 nights. Had a fantastic time, could not fault the hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and the range of choice for breakfast was fantastic!! Would stay here again.
Very helpful staff.
Room was lovely and clean.
Excellent!!!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have just had a short break in Amsterdam and stayed in this hotel (2 nights - 5 & 6 July) - Lovely hotel, in a prime location for exploring the City. The staff were all very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Whilst our room was average to small (adequate), it was very clean and tidy. How much time do you spend in a room, when you have such a splendid City to explore. We stayed B & B and thoroughly enjoyed the Hot & Cold Buffet Breakfast. Would certainly stay here again, and would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a room out the back and it was quiet - Not sure what the front ones would be like with the Tr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel we were informed our room had been upgraded, for which I expressed appreciation for the consideration. The room’s décor and carpeting was definitely dated and reminded me more of what one would expect from in a motel or rather cheap hotel; however, the room was appreciably clean, with several amenities. The first night was comfortable, but the next day we noted the air-conditioning was not working. While it was not terribly hot during that time of the month with the windows open, my wife and I were both suffering from allergies at that time and would have preferred not to have to leave the windows open. We also had quite a bit of Belgium chocolates we wished to keep cool. More importantly, if one prefers (and pays) to sleep quite cool, then it should be provided if at all possible. We filled out a form that is provided in the room if maintenance is needed and left it on the door as instructed, but upon returning that evening we noticed the request slip was still hanging on the door and the air had not been fixed. I reported it to the concierge and rather than offering another room, all we received was a suggestion to use the refrigerator for our chocolates. Mind you, I’m not saying the staff was unpleasant; it’s just that some of them lacked a concerned professionalism and it was disappointing that no accommodation was offered and no repairs done in the remaining two days of our stay.

The breakfasts were included and offered something for everybody and while it would be considered an average tasting fare, the restaurant was clean and the staff polite. The hotel is actually in a fairly convenient location for quite a bit of sightseeing and is particularly close to the Red Light District. If you want a relaxed location or one that is romantic, this is not for you; however, it served our purposes well enough. Most hotels I research and arrange myself, but I admit this was one I actually left up to a travel agent to plan and this I regret doing. I would not stay there again, nor recommend it out of hand, but if it fits your budget best and seems like an ideal location in which to center your touring, then it is a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple