“Short Break to Amsterdam”
Review of Die Port van Cleve

Die Port van Cleve
Ranked #99 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Short Break to Amsterdam”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have just had a short break in Amsterdam and stayed in this hotel (2 nights - 5 & 6 July) - Lovely hotel, in a prime location for exploring the City. The staff were all very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Whilst our room was average to small (adequate), it was very clean and tidy. How much time do you spend in a room, when you have such a splendid City to explore. We stayed B & B and thoroughly enjoyed the Hot & Cold Buffet Breakfast. Would certainly stay here again, and would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a room out the back and it was quiet - Not sure what the front ones would be like with the Tr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel we were informed our room had been upgraded, for which I expressed appreciation for the consideration. The room’s décor and carpeting was definitely dated and reminded me more of what one would expect from in a motel or rather cheap hotel; however, the room was appreciably clean, with several amenities. The first night was comfortable, but the next day we noted the air-conditioning was not working. While it was not terribly hot during that time of the month with the windows open, my wife and I were both suffering from allergies at that time and would have preferred not to have to leave the windows open. We also had quite a bit of Belgium chocolates we wished to keep cool. More importantly, if one prefers (and pays) to sleep quite cool, then it should be provided if at all possible. We filled out a form that is provided in the room if maintenance is needed and left it on the door as instructed, but upon returning that evening we noticed the request slip was still hanging on the door and the air had not been fixed. I reported it to the concierge and rather than offering another room, all we received was a suggestion to use the refrigerator for our chocolates. Mind you, I’m not saying the staff was unpleasant; it’s just that some of them lacked a concerned professionalism and it was disappointing that no accommodation was offered and no repairs done in the remaining two days of our stay.

The breakfasts were included and offered something for everybody and while it would be considered an average tasting fare, the restaurant was clean and the staff polite. The hotel is actually in a fairly convenient location for quite a bit of sightseeing and is particularly close to the Red Light District. If you want a relaxed location or one that is romantic, this is not for you; however, it served our purposes well enough. Most hotels I research and arrange myself, but I admit this was one I actually left up to a travel agent to plan and this I regret doing. I would not stay there again, nor recommend it out of hand, but if it fits your budget best and seems like an ideal location in which to center your touring, then it is a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alvinsimms
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Port van Cleve for four nights. This hotel was selected because of it's proximity to most of the attractions in Amsterdam and the central station for Eurostar. The location was excellent with a 5-10 minute walk from the station, or just two short stops on the tram. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many of the wide range of restaurants and bars in Amsterdam. It is also close to Dam square, the beautiful area around the Westerkerk and 10 minutes from the red light district. There is also a large supermarket and a shopping mall very close by. I would recommend taking the hop on - hop off bus tour first if you are a new visitor and don't know Amsterdam very well. The hotel itself is more than adequate for a short stay. It has a classical look with dark wood and a delft motif in the bedrooms, plus, for art lovers, a reproduction of 'The Night Watch' Rembrandt painting in the foyer. The bathroom is well stocked with towels and toiletries etc. and the coffee making facilities are a bonus. Staff were friendly and welcoming. My only reservation is that the dark wood made the room seem gloomy, so next time I would request a room on a higher floor - we stayed on the third.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite dark during the day. Ask for a room on a high floor where there is likely to be...
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Little problems with the hotel when I stayed there. Air conditioning fell apart but I told reception and it was fixed straight away. Room was a good size and the location was great. Staff at reception were somewhat cold towards my group but everyone has bad days or weeks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

The outside looks a beautiful hotel!
But what we had inside, wasn't that good. Specially the room we stayed. Unfortunately I didn't see the other rooms, so it would be unfair to give a general criticism.

Because the staff was really sympathy at the reception.

But we got a really tiny room and not comfortable beds at all! For the price....The mattresses it seems pretty old, and after 3 days at hotel I started to have pain in my back of those beds.

Also the room wasn't that clean when we got there.
And the Wifi at the room, just terrible! I think they should provide something better for the guests, specially in this days!

My partner and me are not the kind of person who complains often, but I don't think we would go back there.

I think you pay more for the location, than all!

Stayed July 2014
Wales
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed for three nights as part of a pre-booked package with BA. The location is perfect - just across the road from Dam Square, with the quieter Jordaan area just behind it, great for strolling around. The hotel has a traditional feel, with Delft tiling and dark wood, and has a bar, restaurant and coffee shop that serves wonderful warm Dutch apple cake. Our room was on the first floor at the front, and I was a bit concerned about the noise of the trams, but it was fully double-glazed, so no problem. The room was charming, with plenty of storage space (I asked for more coat hangers), a safe, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and air conditioning. The shower is just a 'mixer' type and the bath has no rubber mat and is quite deep, which made getting in and out a bit problematic if, like me, you're a bit unsteady. I'm sure the friendly and helpful staff would supply a mat, if asked. I advise bringing your own hairdryer, as this is a wall-mounted bathroom one, not brilliant. We had a problem with the basin plug, I filled in a card to hang on the door in the morning and it was fixed by the time we returned in the afternoon.

Try to get a deal that include breakfast, as it's excellent, with plenty of the usual choices, plus waffles, pancakes etc. Otherwise it's a bit expensive at 19.50 euros each. We didn't eat in the restaurant as there are so many places nearby, but the menu looked interesting!

The staff were particularly friendly and helpful (lots of football banter!) and we would definitely return to this little gem.

Room Tip: Rooms 121 and 122 on the first floor are a good size and overlooked the main street if you like some...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great location and price. Close to grocery store and all main attractions. Room small but comfortable. Use valet parking! No parking anywhere. Bar and restaurant on the main floor. Friendly and helpful staff. Would stay here again.