We just returned from a 3 night trip to Amsterdam and stayed at Die Port van Cleve.
The location is superb - a 10 minute walk from central station, or hop on a tram (no.s 2 or 5, get off at Dam Square). If you are fit you can walk to almost every tourist site in the city from here, but if you don't fancy walking, there is a tram stop on the doorstep.
From outside the building is very impressive, but first impressions as you approach reception are not quite so good, the reception area is small, dark and a bit haphazard, however the friendly and efficient staff make up for that.
Our room was on the third floor at the front overlooking Dam square, but we didn't experience any noise at all. The room was not that large, but it was clean, with lots of character and had all the amenities you would expect, although the bathrooms were a bit basic for a 4*.
The beds were some of the most comfortable we have ever slept in.
Downstairs, there is a fairly standard-looking hotel restaurant, and a very old bar.
The bar is the stand out feature for this hotel in my opinion. It oozes character from the original wood panelling and the Delft tile frieze (which is the the hotel trademark, and repeated in the lifts and the rooms). The menu is the same in the restaurant and the bar, so try to get a table there. The hotel is famous with locals for their steaks (each steak is numbered), and with good reason - one of the best I have ever tasted, but not cheap. If you have an 'IAmsterdam' card, they offer a special menu which is a much better price and still excellent.
In my opinion, any rating for this hotel has to be based on the value for the price paid. We paid less than €100 per night for the room, and we considered it excellent value for money. Some reviewers claim to have paid €240 per night, and are obviously not as happy.
We would certainly return to this hotel when we next visit Amsterdam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam