“Disappointing Hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #100 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointing Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was not impressed with my stay at this hotel.
As I searched for hotels before my trip, my main concern was to stay somewhere where I had my own private bathroom. (side note: hotel availability was very limited during the time I was going to be in Amsterdam for some reason, a lot of hotels were fully booked, and those that weren't were very pricey).
The room I had did have its own private bathroom, but it was definitely outdated. It felt like I was staying in the attic of a house. It had really low angled ceilings with tiny windows. The room also seemed really outdated, and the bed was incredibly uncomfortable.
There was an unpleasant smell in the hallway outside the room.
The location of the hotel was good: there was a lot in walking distance and I didn't feel unsafe.
The staff wasn't overly friendly, but they were pleasant enough.

I would look for other hotels if I returned to Amsterdam, but would stay here for a night or two if I needed to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melissa R
Nina R, Guest Relations Manager at Die Port van Cleve, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Melissa R,

Thank you for taking the time writing a review about your stay in September 2012.
We are happy to inform you that we have been renovating and updating different parts of the hotel since you have visited our hotel. We have installed air-conditioning throughout the hotel, we have refurbished the lobby and all our hotel rooms are updated with new decoration. We have also replaced a large amount of hotel beds, including the bed in your room. In January 2013 we have stared with the replacements of the bathrooms as well.
We hope we can welcome you again in Hotel Die Port van Cleve and you feel more impressed with your stay in our updated hotel rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My boyfreind and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. The first thing to highlight is the location of this hotel. it is a 2 minute walk from Dam Square and at the other end of the street is Central station - probably a 10 minute walk. We took a taxi from the airport which was 60 Euro, so if I stay at the hotel again, I would probably just get the train and walk to the hotel from there. There is a shopping center right next to the hotel, and also a super market.
The hotel it's self is quite old fashioned and traditional looking. They charge a 15 Euro city tax. Breakfast is avalible and I think it costs between 14-19 Euro per day. We didn't eat at the hotel, so can't coment on the standard of food. The staff were very helpful and efficient.
The room was a little on the small side, but was clean, and the housekeeping serivce attended to the room on a daily basis. There was a TV in the room, but only 3 english channel's were avalilbe BBC1, BBC2 and BBC world news. The bathroom was a good size, but very cold. The bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch. There were tea and coffee making facilites in the room, but no fridge or mini bar.
The only other down side to the hotel was that there is only 1 lift, which is quite small and slow.
I would recomend this hotel, for couples, families and lone travellers. I would not recomend this hotel for large groups such as stag or hen parties.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank morag24
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

An excellent hotel, even if it was undergoing refurbishments on the outside. The room was very comfortable and adjusting the temperature was simple. The bar and restaurant could hardly be faulted and the staff were extemely efficient and helpful. When I am next in Amsterdam, this hotel will definitely be booked if available.

Room Tip: Some rooms have different levels and intrenal stairs, my mother (aged 86) was automatically put in a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I came here as a child whilst on holiday in Amsterdam with my family.

It has since then been my favourite hotel ever.

I remember it being very comfortable, very central and my favourite part of it was the AMAZING breakfast the hotel provided. I remember as a child it felt like mountains of EVERYTHING you could possibly want to eat and more.

Although this was 7 years ago now, I would love to go back again! And I recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Amsterdam that is very central and very nice!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I and another couple stayed at this lovely hotel on 16th February 2013 for 3 nights.
We were very very impressed with the hotel itself. Really efficient, helpful and friendly staff checked us in earlier than we expected. We arrived around 11am and room was ready so in we went - 3 hours early!
The rooms were perfect! Ample storage, great powerful shower in bathroom and always hot water. Free deposit box in room. Tea and coffee facilities, television, and telephone.
Rooms were always spotless - maid did a fantastic job and each evening it was as if we'd arrived for the first time - fresh towels, everything used was replaced, i.e. soap etc.
We didn't get round to eating at the restaurant, but the bar was our meeting place and again, very friendly and efficient staff.
Location was the best in Amsterdam!! 2 mins walk from Dam Square - how central do you want to be? We didn't use one cab, tram or bicycle all weekend as we walked everywhere.
Also, if you arrive at Central Station, it's around 10 mins walk.
We are definately coming back next year and suggest you do too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank nancymmKent
portadown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 day city break in Amsterdam staying at the Die Port Van Cleve, The reception staff were 1st class and extremely helpful at all times (offering advice on where to get the best tourist deals) as were the dining room and housekeeping staff we could find no fault with anyone. The food was good and plentiful, the location excellent within easy walking distance of a lot of the city sights and quiet at night .The bathroom was well stocked at all times as was the tea and coffee in our room, a bit more heat in the room would not have went amiss as it was as low as -3 at times outside and the windows were not double glazed. A little less music with breakfast should be considered We would not look any further for accommodation if we were to return to this lovely city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elizabeth o
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The rooms could do with a bit of updating, especially the bathrooms. Low quality fittings, cracked tiles and creaky floors.

The hotel is in a great location though; just a 2 min walk to the main square and a 10 min walk from the train station.

I wouldn't stay here again, for the money I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013