The good - The hotel is located just off Dam Square and is an ideal base for sight seeing on foot. It is only a 10 minute walk from Central Station and very easy to find. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and the public parts of the hotel are welcoming and well maintained, the breakfast is also pretty good too.
The not so good - Our room (607) was not the standard a 4 star hotel should be selling. Although clean, it was very small, the view from the bedroom window is the rear of the hotels neon sign and the metal air conditioning ducts. In terms of comfort the double bed only just squeezed into the space allocated to it, there was no room to walk around the bed. The bathroom in Room 607 has also seen better days, the shower screen was rusty and needs replacing at the very least. The plumbing is also old fashioned meaning you have to rotate two valves (hot and cold) to mix the water in order to get the shower temperate correct, if you get the mix wrong then it’s either too hot or too cold.
Summary – Even having made negative comments about our room I would stay in this hotel again, I believe by writing reviews the hotel management / owners can improve their service for others. We have fed back the same issues with the hotel using their “happy sheet”. In the end my only negative about this hotel is based on Room 607 so perhaps we just got unlucky with the room allocation as other comments on this site suggest different opinions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam