We arrived from the states and were greeted very kindly by the hotel staff. Having read all the reviews, we were not expecting much, but chose the location by well, locatiion, and price. And for that, this place is worth it. On the other hand, there were cigarette butt stains all over the tub which made me feel as though I was in a crack house, only without any crack! (:
A bit of street noise but that was to be expected. Some of our mates stayed in the Hotels near by and they were infinitely worse than the Van Cleve because at least the Van Cleve is fairly clean and has very large rooms,.
Because of the great bartender Faisal, the heineken bar becane the focal point and meeting place of 20 plus people in our party staying nearby. However, when we went to the bar when Faisal wasn't there opn Tuesday, March 14 we had to wait and beg for service from a cold and tall blond woman who ignored us and was rude for literally 45 minutes before we could get a beer.
Having said all that, the bar is beautiful,DO NOT MISS IT, make siure Faisal is your bartender, ask for the room without the nasty cigarette stains all over the bathroom (401 was ours) and you will have a wonderful stay at the Die port van cleve. Otherwise, it's a mixed bag!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam