“26 Euros for Breakfast!”
Review of The Alfred Hotel

The Alfred Hotel
Ranked #215 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We enjoyed staying here. Our room in back was quiet. Staff was nice. Wifi okay. Neighborhood lovely, you're just a short walk from local markets and Vondelpark. Just two things: carpet was worn out, though clean. And price if you call hotel direct is 99 euros- or 125 euros with breakfast! No way is breakfast worth that much! We walked down the street and bought yogurt and fruit, took it back and had a better breakfast for 4 eoros!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stockmktgenius

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We received very good service at this average, no-frills hotel.

Considering what is typical for a European hotel, it is probably a good hotel.

If we were to stay there again, we would try to avoid the top floor rooms where the ceiling is angled inward.

Room Tip: As above, try to avoid the top floor rooms where the ceiling angles inward. You loose useful floor...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MJBaer
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Quiet hotel in quiet area. Easy to reach city center by tram or rentable bicycle at the hotel. Forget internet, wifi speed is really bad except at the middle of the night. They claim to have Eurosport on tv but they don't. When asked about nearest shop the didn't know. Bar is supposed to close at 23:00 but it was closed 22:40. Friendly staff but no way a four star hotel. Breakfast was good with enough to choose from. Rooms neat and tidy, very good beds/matress. Safe box in room and bicycle for rent at €15/24h makes this hotel a good choice for anyone who likes a quiet area and doesnt need an good internet hookup.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

With a late arrival at 11pm I was hoping for a welcoming face at the Memphis - but almost immediately on approaching the reception area it was clear that was not going to happen! Clearly I presented a major inconvenience to the lady at reception interrupting her counting cash as I filled in my details on the relevant card that was thrust at me. Once completed I waited patiently as she continued to count cash and bundle it ignoring me until she was ready. What a disappointing start to what was a lovely stay at the Memphis - great room, good location, generous breakfast and other than my lady of little welcome the staff were great and couldn't be more attentive. Perhaps Memphis should pay more attention to their welcome process - a critical part of the customer experience - and focus on getting some consistency around their service quality.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank MARK D
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great area to stay in. Very safe. Residential area. Nice breakfast place near by in the small piazza. No smoking in the rooms - which sucks cause its a large hotel so you have to go up and down the elevator just to have a smoke. Tram is conveniently steps away from the hotel. I highly recommend purchasing an unlimited tram pass while you are there. We didn't do the bike thing cause it was a bit cold - so we just trammed it everywhere. The hotel is definitely away from the loud partying of Leidensplein - but just a 10 min tram ride when you wanted to go there to eat / party / smoke. We walked there once......a little more then 30min so just tram it there. A short tram ride to Dam square - the centre of everything!! Dont forget to visit the Famous Street Market. Buy all of your souvenirs from there (magnets, clog slippers). Those clog slippers are the warmest and most comfortable slippers EVER!! Great gift too!!! The hotel room was a good size. Decor was old.... a little stuffy (carpets) - but clean. We had a terrible view out the window of a brick wall - I asked for a balcony on my reservation = didnt get it. The bed was comfortable. The rooms were a good tempurature. Our bathroom was clean & old. The shower temperature would not stay at what we selected......temperature would rise to the hottest degree.....after I felt the heat going up I had to call my husband to hold the temperature dial in place while I finished. I was already naked and tired and didn't have the energy to ask the maintenance people to come. Also, our room did not have a safe. We called front desk - they told us that one should be there - I told them that there wasn't........again, it was too late and I didn't care that much. Besides, it was the end of our European vacation anyways so we had already spent most of our cash. The receptionists were not very helpful.....no eagerness to assist us - i felt like i was bothering them when i asked them a question. Upon arriving I had paid cash for our tram cards......but they charged them to our room anyway. We had a few words upon our check out.....but in the end I was right and they didn't charge my visa card. Never call a cab to take you to the airport in Amsterdam. It is a rip off and they are soooo rude - like you are a bother in there busy day. We had no choice but to take a cab because there was a strike that Sunday. The best part of the hotel was the bellhop Mr.Khan!!! What a nice gentleman. I wish he was checking us in instead of those girls. He is so informative, and so willing to help us with our Amsterdam travel and questions. Everyone's English in Amsterdam is amazing!!! No need to worry. Amsterdam is wonderful!! I cant wait to go back!! I think i would try a different hotel though but in the same area. Unless I find this hotel for the same price of $140 CAD a night.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Princess_Elena
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed at the Memphis for a long weekend in April. As we arrived on early flight we left our bags at the station in the lockers and explored central Amsterdam before taking the tram to the hotel in the late afternoon.We did the same when we left on the Monday as our flight wasn't until late.
We were impressed with the hotel and found it very quiet, room was clean and staff were most friendly and helpful.We did not have breakfast in the hotel but choose to stop off at a bakers on the way to our first visit of the day. Did not eat in the hotel in the evening but choose to eat in one of the many local restaurants although we found most of the nearby ones were shut on Sunday evening so had to walk some distance to central Amsterdam.
Location was nice being near Vondel Park and quite close to the museum area. Most areas were an easy pleasant walk away although the tram was available close by.
Cons-None
Pros-Much cheaper than hotels in central Amsterdam and much quieter.Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btex
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend. It's close to tram lines, or alternatively you can hire a bike to ride around. There are some shops near by e.g. Pain de Quotidienne where you can have breakfast if you don't want to have it at the hotel, and a mini supermarket round the corner. It was a nice quiet area where it was close enough to the rest of the city but wasn't subjected to the noise constantly.

All in all it was a good stay at a decent 3* hotel, we had a nice meal at the hotel restaurant which offered a 3 course menu at a discount. Unfortunately it was the same 3 courses every night even though it said in the booklet in the room that it would be different. But we didn't mind as we liked to eat out as well.

The staff were friendly, they were very informative about the area, gave out leaflets on excursions and map of the city, and always said hello when they saw you leaving or entering the foyer.

The room and bathroom were of a decent size and had the usual amenities.

The cons were: the fridge in our room didn't work which we didn't find out until after buying some milk for our hot drinks; the walls are really thin, you can hear neighbours on the same floor, above and below, using the bathroom or shutting the doors loudly which isn't ideal when they're getting up early to go to the airport and you're not.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple