The Lancaster Hotel Amsterdam
$249
$229
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $295/night.

$563
$332
Travelocity
1,275 results
All reviewsartis zootram stophampshire hotelcity centrecentral stationluggage roomnice hoteldam squareminute walkquiet locationstayed here for nightsreception areabreakfast roombars and restaurantsmain attractionsshort stayhotel is situated
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel was situated opposite the Zoo. The room was small, but had a good view, clean and the beds comfortable. Just right for a base to explore Amsterdam. The hotel only served breakfast. Which is clearly mentioned on its site. There is a trek to get to your breakfast, but the food and service is alright once there. There are basement bedrooms which could be off putting. But if used as a base for exploring and the cost makes it a great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
Hansk020, General Manager at The Lancaster Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear LoweAm,

thank you for writing your review overhere.
We hope to welcome you back again in our hotel.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in March 2014. When we arrived the first room we were given was very small, the size of a cupboard. When I opened the door I could do one step and be in bed! I was shocked of the size of the room and I went to the reception to ask for it to be changed. Reception staff was very helpful during our stay and they offered to change our room the next day (no free rooms were available that day). The second room we were given was a bit bigger but still very cramped. Bathrooms were also very small. We stayed in the second room we were given as we thought it would do for a weekend break.
What I found good about the hotel:
- good location, close to areas of interest, tram 9 takes you straight to Dam Square and Centraal Station - 7 stops in total
- staff was polite and they did help when we needed assistance

What I did not like about the hotel:
- the rooms were not clean, curtains were covered in thick layer of dust which filled the room as soon as the curtains were pulled. Kettles in both rooms looked grubby and sticky therefore we did not use them
- bad smell in both rooms - smells like they need a good scrub off
- the images available on the hotel website do not reflect the true size of the rooms - images make rooms look much bigger than they are (not very fair marketing).
- do not ask the hotel to call you a cab to take you back to the airport - we made this mistake and for a 20 minutes ride the cabbie charged us €65! We realised something was doggy when we were half way through the journey and the clock was spinning like mad charging each time 10 cents. I am appalled that the hotel uses such companies!

Overall the hotel was ok-ish , beds were comfortable, but if we were to chose again we would not stay at Hampshire again due to the above reasons and overall impression.

Room Tip: check with the hotel the size of the room you will be allocated under your reservation ... to avoid having to sleep in a room the size of a storage cupboard.

Dear Mummyshorts,

thank you for writing your review overhere.
I am very surprised to hear about the taxi fair. The maximum a taxi should cost is € 45,- per ride and that is why we only work with the Amsterdam Taxi Centrale. If you still have the receipt or have the number of the taxi, I would be happy to contact the taxidriver for you.
Please let me know.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed at the Hampshire for 2 nights. The hotel is in a great location. The best tram to get from Centraal is the number 9 which stops at the "Artis" stop. Our room was on the street side of the building. It was very quiet and I got a good nights sleep both nights I was there. The room was a little small but I expected this looking at the reviews, and the building is an old building so nothing against them. The room was well presented but not very well cleaned for our second night. An exceptional shout out to the staff. Very good english and were extremely helpful when we wanted our room changed, and were very attentive when my friend injured her ankle and needed something to put her ankle in (Water). So very good stay, shame about the cleaning.
I will definitely choose this hotel again if I am in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jamied1992
Hansk020, General Manager at The Lancaster Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Jamiedave,

thank you very much for your kind words overhere.
I am sorry to read about the cleaning. I will certainly pass this on to our cleaningcompany; thank you for mentioning this to us.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed 2 nights at Hampshire Hotel on 18th /19th March. Didn,t expect a lot due to price and reviews, so was pleased with what was on offer. I,m not really a picky traveller and just expect what I pay for. Room wasn,t the biggest but suited me and my wife, beds single and pushed together but not a problem as very comfortable. shower room small but only showering not dancing everything was clean and tidy. Had to be careful when sitting on toilet as not a lot of room but that's not a holiday highlight. Any reception staff I dealt with were polite and helpful. complimentary coffee in lobby. Arrived at 10 30am and was allowed to check in even carried our bags in. On checkout was able to leave bags in luggage room while continued to explore city.. Hotel was in walking distance of centre but also on tram route . Overall a pleasant hotel with decent rooms and comfortable. is a 3 star after all and was only a base to sleep.

Room Tip: Our room as 219 at the back of hotel so was quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hansk020, General Manager at The Lancaster Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear MikeL5855,

thank your for writing your review overhere.
It is true that our rooms are not hte biggest ones but it's is good you appreciated our rooms and service.
We do hope to welcome you back in our hotel.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

A member of staff opened and removed half a box of chocolate oreo's which we had bought for a gift, although it was only biscuits taken you start to think what else is missing| Daytime staff not interested, just shrugged their shoulders, very disappointing. Room average, bad smell in room when we returned after first day, cups left unwashed after maid had been in, good location but no way would return after our incident, I agree with other reviewers that poor customer service at reception, both days we left and returned to the hotel we never got a single acknowledgment,

Room Tip: sounds like all rooms are small with two beds pushed together,

Sear Sir,

thank you for writing this review.
we have investigated this and asked our cleaningstaff but they did not even like sweets.
You mentioned to the reception that your wallet and passport were next to it but nothing else besides the cookies was missing.
We offered you a free breakfast and both evening and morning recpetionists were in the understanding that we had done everything for the inconvenience caused.
I am sorry to read that you did not like the room, we could have easily changed rooms for you if only we had known.
Again my apologies for the inconvenience and I do hope to welcome you in our hotel.