“Good choice for visting Amsterdam at a peacful part of the city”

Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam
Ranked #162 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We have just got back from spending 3 nights at this hotel and I have to say, you get what you pay for, the room was ridiculously small. We aren't big people by any means and we were practically standing on each other when trying to get ready. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was clean. It was only serviced on one day though which I was quite shocked at considering it says on the website they are serviced daily. We only paid about €25 a night so honestly I think it's worth the money. As other people have said there's no point getting the breakfast as there is a cafe just next door that is a third of the price, €15 in the hotel is quite extortionate really. Easy tram access into town help the fact that's its away from the main square. As annoying as that felt at times, it was nice to be in a quiet area. If your looking for something cheap so you can spend more money in the expensive city of Amsterdam I would recommend this hotel. A lot of people complain how crap this hotel is but I don't think they take into consideration just how little it costs to stay there.

Hope this helps you decide where to stay and you enjoy the dam, it's an amazing place to go.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Tomhewy
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We reserved a very unreasonably expensive room to end our Amsterdam visit at this hotel. Our priorities were to get a room with space for ourselves and our two small children. We almost got that.
First, reception was neither overly friendly or overly helpful. I actually had one staff member roll their eyes at me when I asked a question, which was not cool.
On check in, we were warned that there is a fine for smoking in the hotel. We were NOT told that this is not enforced. Most nights we were breathing unbelievably smokey air. Either marijuana or cigarettes, just depending on the whim of whomever was smoking.
Other guests were quite loud and there's just no soundproofing in those rooms.
Now let's discuss the room.
The deadbolt didn't work, which felt quite unsafe. Not to mention the large gap between the door and the doorjamb. Yikes!
Our room was FREEZING. We all had cold fingers and noses every night. The radiator didn't seem to work.
This was not a big room. I knew that in advance, but was still surprised that I literally had to turn sideways to move anywhere in the room. The two double beds are placed foot to foot with less than 12 inches between them. Nowhere to put luggage.
And man oh man was this room dirty. Giant dust balls behind te curtains. Lots of litter under the beds ( Chapstick, maps, a sock, papers- none of which were ours). The shower was downright disgusting. Hair and mold everywhere. Shocking also to hear the toilet habits of the neighbouring room in such detail.
We did not eat breakfast there.
"free wifi". Ummmmm....if you count unreliable, super slow "wifi."

So, all in all, we were not impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mamacassola

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Toronto
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had chosen another hotel to stay in for my final 3 days in Amsterdam of my 21 day Europe trip. However, it was fully booked so my travel agent suggested 2 hotels - one of which was the Hamshire Lancaster. I checked on Trip Advisor and it seemed O.K. Upon arrival and checking in(rather chaotic due to a marathon) we went to our room. From the moment I entered the hotel
and my room I had a bad feeling. The room had an awful smell which we later determined smelled like sewage. The couch in the room was dirty and tattered. The washroom (especially the toilet) was terrible. The washroom door wouldn't close properly nor the main door to the room. So we always heard people slamming doors. The whole 3 nights and days that room smelled. We had breakfast at the hotel for a charge but I didn't find out until checkout that the charge was 15 euros each for a similar breakfast that we got for free at other hotels that we stayed at. The desk people were helpful but all the rest was a horrible experience. I couldn't wait to check out- which I should have done earlier except most good hotels were already booked. If your travel agent suggests staying at the Hampshire Hotel Lancaster say NO THANKS.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelbugsueToronto
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for your review.
I would like to reply to your comments on the breakfast. The cost of breakfast has been informed to all the agents we work with and is informed to all our guests on check in.
If your travel agent did not, or informed you wrong, please inform me so I can contact the travel agency.
I am sorry to hear that you did not like the room. it could have easily been resolved if you had told us during your stay rather than reading it now on Tripadvisor. We would have been happy to offer you another room.

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is pretty much average. Our room was pretty small - probably because an en-suite had been added to an already small double room. The en-suite "cupboard" is very small and basic, and, too be totally honest, not very nice.
Bed was comfortable but was made up of two singles which kept drifting apart.
Didn't realise there was free internet until literally the minute we left when we saw it hidden away around a corner of reception.
Good location with only a 10 minute walk to the centre.
Stayed two nights and wouldn't want to stay any longer.

Room Tip: Don't pick the basic double room - if you can afford it, upgrade!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for writing your review here.

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I found the room pretty basic. It could do with a hand soap dispenser for the sink!
The bed was made daily, but the room wasn't cleaned very well. Our dirty coffee cups weren't replaced.

The breakfast was very expensive, if you haven't included this in your stay, costing €15 each for a fairly basic selection I thought this was very steep.
We stayed on the 4th floor next door to a store cupboard which was slammed closed about 10 times throughout our 2nd night which went on til about 5am or so, meaning I hardly slept.
We had to give a €50 deposit when we arrived which was inconvenient but i suppose its understandable.

Minus these issues, the hotel is in a fab location very close to the tram into town, a short walk to some lovely local pubs and the amazing Artis zoo. Be ready for a €2.10 tax charge when checking out

Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Not great. On arrival we were told room was ready, only to find out it hadn't been serviced from the previous occupants. They didn't service the room at all the following day, despite us being out of the room at 7am. Main light didn't work and it took two days of requesting before we were finally given the bulb to change it ourselves! On the plus side the room was clean (when they actually serviced it), and the staff were polite, but useless.

• Stayed October 2012
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for writing your review.
I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
This will certainly be discussed with our cleaning company to make sure that it will never happen again.
I do hope we may welcome you in the near future as one of our guests.