“The worst experience of Amsterdam”

Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam
Ranked #154 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had chosen another hotel to stay in for my final 3 days in Amsterdam of my 21 day Europe trip. However, it was fully booked so my travel agent suggested 2 hotels - one of which was the Hamshire Lancaster. I checked on Trip Advisor and it seemed O.K. Upon arrival and checking in(rather chaotic due to a marathon) we went to our room. From the moment I entered the hotel
and my room I had a bad feeling. The room had an awful smell which we later determined smelled like sewage. The couch in the room was dirty and tattered. The washroom (especially the toilet) was terrible. The washroom door wouldn't close properly nor the main door to the room. So we always heard people slamming doors. The whole 3 nights and days that room smelled. We had breakfast at the hotel for a charge but I didn't find out until checkout that the charge was 15 euros each for a similar breakfast that we got for free at other hotels that we stayed at. The desk people were helpful but all the rest was a horrible experience. I couldn't wait to check out- which I should have done earlier except most good hotels were already booked. If your travel agent suggests staying at the Hampshire Hotel Lancaster say NO THANKS.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelbugsueToronto
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

thank you for your review.
I would like to reply to your comments on the breakfast. The cost of breakfast has been informed to all the agents we work with and is informed to all our guests on check in.
If your travel agent did not, or informed you wrong, please inform me so I can contact the travel agency.
I am sorry to hear that you did not like the room. it could have easily been resolved if you had told us during your stay rather than reading it now on Tripadvisor. We would have been happy to offer you another room.

Hans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is pretty much average. Our room was pretty small - probably because an en-suite had been added to an already small double room. The en-suite "cupboard" is very small and basic, and, too be totally honest, not very nice.
Bed was comfortable but was made up of two singles which kept drifting apart.
Didn't realise there was free internet until literally the minute we left when we saw it hidden away around a corner of reception.
Good location with only a 10 minute walk to the centre.
Stayed two nights and wouldn't want to stay any longer.

Room Tip: Don't pick the basic double room - if you can afford it, upgrade!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for writing your review here.

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I found the room pretty basic. It could do with a hand soap dispenser for the sink!
The bed was made daily, but the room wasn't cleaned very well. Our dirty coffee cups weren't replaced.

The breakfast was very expensive, if you haven't included this in your stay, costing €15 each for a fairly basic selection I thought this was very steep.
We stayed on the 4th floor next door to a store cupboard which was slammed closed about 10 times throughout our 2nd night which went on til about 5am or so, meaning I hardly slept.
We had to give a €50 deposit when we arrived which was inconvenient but i suppose its understandable.

Minus these issues, the hotel is in a fab location very close to the tram into town, a short walk to some lovely local pubs and the amazing Artis zoo. Be ready for a €2.10 tax charge when checking out

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Not great. On arrival we were told room was ready, only to find out it hadn't been serviced from the previous occupants. They didn't service the room at all the following day, despite us being out of the room at 7am. Main light didn't work and it took two days of requesting before we were finally given the bulb to change it ourselves! On the plus side the room was clean (when they actually serviced it), and the staff were polite, but useless.

• Stayed: October 2012
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for writing your review.
I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
This will certainly be discussed with our cleaning company to make sure that it will never happen again.
I do hope we may welcome you in the near future as one of our guests.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room was small but functional, it was clean and the bed was comfortable.
General appearance is middle of the road, I cannot be too critical as it was much better than the hotel my colleagues were unfortunate to be placed in.

Convenient for the city centre or the more upmarket areas. The number 9 or 14 tram virtually dropped you off at the doorstep which was a bonus after all the walking.

Breakfast was ok....much the same as most hotels across Europe

Not the best....but far from the worst hotel.....at least the local area is quiet and safe.

Cheers

Alan

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Alan,

thank you for your time and effort to write your kind review here.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have booked a room for me and my friends for one night. We were four people and I have to say that the room was a bit small and the bathroom very simple. The luggage storage room had no cctv in it and you just had to ask the clerk to open it remotely which means anybody in the hotel can search in your luggage and steal anything you may have. Also I would have apreciated to have a minibar in the room, instead we just had a kettle and some tea. WiFi was free in the lobby but was not free in the rooms. To finish I would just say that the room was expensive. I would not recommend that hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for writing your review.
our roomrates are based on the average room rate in the city.
A minibar is not available in our hotel, we do offer coffee and tea facilities in the room aswell as free internet in our lobby. This is mentioned on our site.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very nice and comfortable rooms. The bed was very nice and large enough for me.

The only drawback is that it didn't clarify the internet is available at the rooms only with charge. It only mention "internet in the room" so I thought this would be free of charge. And the cost of 12.5euro/day for internet is too expensive for this room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank KonstV

thank you for your review.
We offer free wifi in our lobby; when one would like to use the internet in the room we charge € 5,- per hour or € 12.50 for 24 hours.