“Cozy and homely feel”

Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam
Ranked #154 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The first thought I had before I stepped into the hotel I didn't expect the place to be so homely and cozy. The receptionist was friendly. We arrived early therefore had to leave our luggages in the storage room. Do put the important bags behind the less important one as no one is manning the room. The rooms are clean and neat. If I'm not wrong they do provide breakfast but you need to pay seperately. Do check and find out if there is any closing of roads as the hotel is a distance from the city center. Its fine to walk back but if you have 2 jetlagged kids its not going to be easy. We nearly got lost as our tram diverted and we don't understand a word of dutch!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MummyGoh
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Dear MummyGoh,

thank you for your time to write this review.

Hans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Amsterdam is overall expensive and low quality, as far as accommodation is concerned, so this review has to be taken in context. Fact is that this hotel is not particularly clean (bathroom sink, toilet, bed covers... not properly cleaned), the bed was very uncomfortable (totally worn out mattress, synthetic sheets that made you sweat no matter which way you lay), breakfast overpriced. They have no wireless internet connection: you pay 5€ an hour for a wired connection that is as slow as modems in the 90s. In any other city, this hotel would not have any customers, but given Amsterdam standards, they can get away with it... I do think you'd be better off staying in a cheaper hostel - they are the same quality, but at a lower price.

Room Tip: stay in a hostel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pat1680
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Dear Pat1680,
thank you for taking the time and effort to write this review.
The rates in Amsterdam can not be compared to other cities, our rates are in comparison with the other 3 star rated hotels in Amsterdam. We offer an extensive breakfast for € 15,- per person. Breakfast is subjective to the taste and habits of a guest.
We do have wireless internet in the lobby which is free, if guests prefere to use the internet in the room there is a charge for it ( € 5,- per hour or € 12.50 per 24 hours). The system we use is placed in 2007.
I am sorry to hear that your stay was not good. It would have been better to hear this during your stay or at check out rather than reading it here.
I do hope you enjoyed the beautiful city of Amsterdam.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

Only two nights in Amsterdam for business purposes, but the Eden Lancaster was an excellent choice. My room was roomy by European standards, reasonably priced, in a central and accessible location. The staff was especially courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Dear JLeo25,

thank you for your review. Good to hear that you had a nice stay.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

I booked our trip as a surprise for my fiance's 30th birthday and we had a fantastic time.

I took great care in selecting this hotel. It is a little out of town but that is what I wanted. It takes 5-10 minutes on the tram to get into town and we even walked to central station from the hotel on our last day (due to a tram strike) which only took 30 minutes at a leisurely pace. The area is quiet and away from the hustle and bustle - perfect for couples and families.

We were welcomed immediately when we arrived by a polite and pleasant young man. We stayed in room 208. The hotel rooms in Amsterdam are generally quite small but we didn't need a large room. Our double bed was two twin beds pushed together but this is common practice in hotels (I worked in hotels for years while I was at university) and makes sense. We were given two single duvets instead of a double which we actually really liked! No fighting for covers (we may implement this at home!). The bed and pillows were supersoft and we were reluctant to get out of bed in the morning.

When we arrived back to the hotel each day our room was clean and tidy - we didn't have to ask for anything.

Breakfast wasn't included in our room rate which we knew. Initially we thought that 15 euros per person was quite expensive but it is actually pretty good value compared to what we would have had to pay in a restaurant for the same meal. The quality and selection of food was great - sausages, bacon, eggs, breads, cheeses, meats, spreads, jams and a selection of hot and cold juices. The breakfast staff were excellent as well - efficient and friendly.

I'd recommend this hotel to most people. However, if you're planning wild nights out then don't stay here. The trams stop around 12.30 and a taxi will cost around 12 euros. My fiance is returning to Amsterdam in April for his stag weekend and probably won't stay at the Eden Lancaster for this reason. In saying that, he and his friends are keen to stay at one of the more central Eden hotels instead.

A lot of people will always try to find something to complain about wherever they stay. The hotel isn't right in the centre of town but it doesn't claim to be. It is on more than one tram route though and the trams run every 6 minutes through the day and every 10 minutes at night. The rooms aren't large but you'll be hard pushed to find a large room for the same price in Amsterdam. The double beds will be two singles pushed together but you can't tell the difference anyway.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear mcshazz,

Thank you for your time to write this review.
It is good to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

Location was great! Previous reviewers are correct - easy to get to, quiet section of city. The room was small - had just enough room to walk around the bed. Bathroom was sufficient. Breakfast is self-serving buffet style with typical European menu. Only problem is I got the bed with wire poking from matress! I read about this.... the staff wanted us to pack up all our belongings in the morning before we leave and it was too much trouble so I decided to tough it up. They did not have comment card in the hotel - they said that the are getting it from other hotel - yea, I am sure. But aver all, if the price is right, I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear shizukow,

thank you for your review.
I am happy to inform you that we did receive the comment cards from the other hotel, they came with some delay. It is always good to hear comments from our guests.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor of this hotel and was prepared with my tinopener to get into the bedroom! However, the room we got was absolutely fine, small but adequate & the bathroom likewise. The staff were extremely helpful, changing our rooms on arrival from 2 adjoining rooms to a family room and offering us the choice of moving the next day if we weren't happy. Our stay was for 4 nights and the family room was perfect. We have 2 small children, aged 7 and 5 so the location of the hotel couldn't have been better as it faced the Amsterdam Artis Zoo & was a short tram ride (or cycle) to the city centre. The breakfast was very good, plenty of variety to suit even the fussiest child (or adult!). I would stay there again when visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask the staff what they recommend for you.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dinosaurmamma
Hans1018, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Dear Sir,

thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.
Good to hear that you had a nice stay.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I took my boyfriend to this hotel over christmas time 2010.
When i arrived I was ordered to pay a 50 deposit because and i quote ' People have been smoking in the room, if you are found to have smoked then you will not recieve it back' so reluctantly i paid the fee. When i got to our room the curtain nets were full of burns from cigerettes and there were lots of butts outside our window.
The bathroom facilities were ok but very very small and connected directly to the room so make sure you are comfortable with whoever your staying with! The man at reception and the only member of staff i saw was very rude to me throughout my stay starting with the fee at the beggining.
The hotel reception is very nice but again small, and i read when booking that they provided free wifi which for me did not work and the man behind reception was not helpful at all!!
The best part of the hotel was our bed it was very comfortable and regularly changed, the images of the rooms are how they appear in real life.
To be honest it was quite expensive and i wasnt happy with mainly the treatment i recieved from the receptionist but apart from that its not a bad hotel.
Trams operate right outside to amsterdam centre but is a bit annoying having to get on them all the time (and there was heavy snow which stopped them completely), if i were you book near the town centre unless you like the zoo which is opposite!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Miss,

thank you for letting us know about your stay in our hotel.
Unfortunateley we have to ask a deposit of € 50,- cash or a reservation on a credit card for incidentals. Our guests are free to put items on the roomcharge like public transport tickets, museumtickets or the breakfast. As I wrote, it is a deposit and when no charges were booked on the room, the full deposit will be returned.
We have had some experiences with guests who have put items on the roomcharge and did not pay for it.
When it comes to smoking, due to Dutch Law, smoking is not allowed in hotels. We do inform our guests at check in and through the hotel but some of our guests still "forget" and try to smoke in the room which explains the burning holes in curtains and burned cigarettes outside the window.
Maybe the explaination of the deposit procedure could have been more extensive and more friendly but I do hope taht the reason for the procedure is clear to you.