“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #18 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Durham UK
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed June 20, 2007

The hotel is in a quiet backwater very close to the centre. In fact the area is charming with lots of interesting shops and restaurants away from some of the busier (tackier) parts of Amsterdam. We booked a deluxe room on the hotels own website and requested a canal view. The room was quite small (but that is normal in cities like Amsterdam) but it was very nicely decorated and maintained. Nice bathroom with all the usual amenities. View of the canal was lovely. As stated by other reviewers the complimentary coffee, cookies, cakes and fruit etc is very nice. Breakfast at 14 Euros was also quite good. We loved the hotel and would stay there again without hesitation.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 20, 2007

This hotel hands-down deserves the Traveler's Choice award (very proudly displayed on their front counter - so cute!). I requested room 417 because I had read it had a really nice canal view. I kind of badgered the hotel about it before arriving, which apparently worked because I got room 317, which also had a nice view. They knew exactly my preferences when I checked in!

Nice size room, gorgeous linens, although the bathroom towels were itty-bitty! Very odd. Great bath products and the shower had a retractable clothesline, which was really cool and which we utilized.

I paid 220 per night for the room which did NOT include tax - so it was more like 230 per night. Well worth it though - it was close enough to be within walking distance of everything we wanted to see, yet far enough from the RLD to be away from the noise and riffraff. Excellent.

Everyone who worked the front desk was really friendly and nice - another place where you have to turn in and recieve your key whenever you leave or come back - sigh! The one exception was one lady who personally struck me as weird and not helpful. I don't recall her name, but she was in her late 40s or so, had blond hair and glasses and was short. She gave us a weird fake smile whenever we saw her and we ended up avoiding her whenever possible. When we first arrived, I asked for a recommendation for a good Thai restaurant within walking distance and she got this puzzled look on her face like she had never been asked that question in her life! she immediately went over to the computer, presumably to do a google search. Amsterdam has a gazillion good Thai restaurants, according to my guidebooks and friends who have visited there - not a weird question by any means! When I saw her going to the computer for help I said forget it, please just recommend anyplace good within walking distance. She recommended Broodje Bert, right next to the hotel. Although the food wasn't horrible, I can't recommend this place. They are just sandwiches and the service is excruciatingly slow, even by European standards. I would have walked a little further, had I known how close the pancake restaurants were to the hotel.

One really nice gentleman working the front desk recommended an Indian restaurant, Shiva, which was awesome. The free coffee and water were also a nice touch. The afternoon snacks were a nice idea, but imo didn't taste very good.

My only real complaint was that when I made the reservation, the hotel emailed me that the rate did not include tax or breakfast. But one day out of desperation, we decided to eat the breakfast even though it was 14 Euros per day. The buffet was excellent and no complaints - except that everyone there seemed to have the breakfast included in their rate. Nobody asked us for our room number or had us sign anything - we could have been eating the breakfast all three days!! Why tell me that it wasn't included? I felt kind of ripped off in that regard.

Overall I would stay here again without hesitation. I feel certain that this is the nicest hotel of its class in Amsterdam. Request a room facing the canal and you will be in heaven!

• Liked — Location and views of canal, beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Miscommunication about breakfast and weird front desk lady
1 Thank supremecourt25
USA
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Just got back from the Estherea. What a beautiful charming hotel. The decor is quite nice, rooms are spacious, and the location is excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Amesterdam. Very nice place. Hope to return in the future!

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — steep stairs, although there was an elevator.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Aixtrip
Kent
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I have just returned from a break with my husband in Amsterdam from 29th May to 1st June and had a fabulous time at Hotel Estherea.

I found the Hotel at the last minute going through the internet and booked direct with the hotel. Absolutely gorgeous hotel which is located down Singel Road right by a canal which was quiet and only a 5 minute walk to Dam Square. Room was a bit small but very tastefully decorated and enough space for what you needed. We also asked for a canal view room when we arrived and were not charged any extra for it. Hotel Staff were really friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble. Tea, coffee etc all complimentary 24 hours a day in the reception area, help yourself. Nothing in rooms but okay to go downstairs and take up to the room. Cake and fruit also complimentary. Did not have breakfast in hotel as not up early enough! We got a train from the airport for 4 euros each and it was only a 15/20 minute journey. Much cheaper than taxi and then we walked to the hotel from station.

Recommend Majestic Bar in Dam Square for a drink and spot of people watching! It served Thai food and nibbles as well which was reasonably priced and tasty. Also Caressa Restaurant (I think) little Italian behind the hotel which was really good. Very busy so a good sign to eat there. Bar De Waag in New Square Market really good for midday snacks and evening meal.

Definitely recommend to my friends and would definitely go back again.

One thing I would suggest is that we went from Tuesday to Friday so missed the majority of the stag/hen parties. As we sat in Dam Square on the Friday afternoon they were all turning up in their job lot t-shirts so if you wanted a romantic break without the rowdy parties then go midweek!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank MissContented
chester uk
Reviewed June 11, 2007

stayed in this hotel for 2 nights 9/10 June. Ellegent upmarket small Hotel in a great location. payed average of 190 euros per night which
represented excellent value for Amsterdam. The room (506) was a little small but very clean and well appointed.

Nice touch is the free coffee/tea cakes and fruit near reception.....
some great places to eat and people watch close by and the hotel is not too near smutty Amsterdam, but not too far away if you want to take a peak.

Have stayed many times before in this great City and would stay at the Estherea again

• Liked — elllegent
  • Disliked — a bit noisy in the morning
1 Thank michaelgould
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2007

Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff in this great hotel. Rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. Free tea and coffee (and lovely cakes!) in the lounge were much appreciated by tired travellers. Really convenient for all the major attractions, but in a lovely quiet location. Restaurant recommendations very helpful. I booked a canal view room which was lovely, but the interior room the kids had was just as nice. Can't praise it highly enough. If you're trying to choose between hotels when you're reading this, stop looking and book this one!!!!

• Liked — Family friendly, super clean and very convenient location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Hilary S
Norwich
Reviewed June 7, 2007

I booked this hotel for my mum and her friend for their trip to Amsterdam from 26th May to 30th May and I choose the Estherea based on all the comments from the website. I was a bit concerned about the comments regarding the room size but my mum and her friend were very pleased with the size of the room which was small but not too small!!

The things they loved was the location, the coffee and tea facilities and the helpfulness of the staff. They also had breakfast every day which they said was very good and had a choice of hot and cold food.

They said they would definitely recommend this hotel and if they visited Amsterdam again they would stay here again.

I am very pleased I booked this hotel for them and I can assure other readers that if my mum and her friend said it was excellent it really was as they have very high standards.

• Liked — Cleanliness and decor
  • Disliked — Not enough storage space in the drawers
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends