My girlfriend and I loved the Estherea. This was my second time in Amsterdam, and the hotel was definitely better than where I stayed the first time.
1) Central location on Singel, which is the innermost of Amsterdam's four concentric canals. Roughly 3 blocks from Dam Square, with easy access to virtually all Amsterdam attractions. You can walk anywhere from here or catch a tram, but if you have luggage, a taxi is Eur 10 or less from Amsterdam Centraal.
2) Very attractive lobby with extensive sitting areas, a big aquarium, and all the charm of a 17th century Dutch canalhouse.
3) Well-decorated room with soft lighting, a soft off-orange paint job, and very comfortable bed.
4) Responsive management. We had a billing problem that was very quickly resolved by management.
5) Informative website with detailed property history.
1) Breakfast is 14 Euro extra. We skipped it. There are dozens of quaint little cafes within a 10-minute walk of the hotel, most of which have English menus and good breakfasts for Eur 6/person. Just walk in the direction of Jordaan.
2) Bath amenities. You'll encounter quintessential Dutch cheapness when there is no soap, shampoo, or conditioner in the bathroom. Instead, there is a wall-mounted bottle of institutional-style chemical ooze that is said to work on both hair and skin. My girlfriend had a rough time, getting neither clean hair nor skin.
3) Views. If you want a canal view, be sure to ask for it (and pay extra). Our room had a view of a ventilation shaft and caught a lot of noise from the teenagers across the ventilation shaft. The clientele of the hotel appeared to trend towards college-age Americans and families.
Also note: wireless internet is 10 Eur per 24 hours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, Hotel Estherea is housed in a row of historic buildings on the major canal. Behind the 17th century façade, guests find a warm welcome in comfortable surroundings. With its woolen carpets, crystal chandeliers and sumptuous furniture, the hotel is an oasis of tranquility in the middle of the bustling city.The Estherea first opened its doors in the 1940s. this family business is currently run by the third generation. Although the hotel’s comforts and facilities have been brought up to date over the past sixty years, the concept of personal service and attention remains unchanged. All 92 rooms have been recently renovated and are all accessible by elevator. Each room has its own unique character: a wonderful place to unwind a day of exploring the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Estherea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estherea Hotel Amsterdam
- Hotel Estherea Amsterdam