Hotel Estherea
NH Hotels
$292
$180
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $215/night.

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel(Amsterdam)
Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$85
$57
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $77/night.

Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$414
$384
Agoda.com
The Toren(Amsterdam)
$318
$251
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $280/night.

$559
$316
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Van Gogh(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$107
Priceline
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $123/night.

4,228 results
All reviewssingel canalbeautiful hotelcanal view roomdam squarecomplimentary coffeewithin walking distancejacuzzi bathdeluxe roomnine streetsperfect locationlobby areaanne frank houseflower marketloved this hotellovely roommajor attractionswalked everywhere
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Located on a beautiful canal in Amsterdam, this hotel has a lot to offer. Terrific central location close to all major sights, beautifully decorated, excellent service and a great breakfast (additional cost, but well worth it). Some rooms tend to be small but offer excellent canal views so not worth changing. Would return in a heartbeat!!!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you plan to stay in Estherea Hotel be prepared for an unexpected deposit payment and a hassle to get it back.

I booked my stay via the official website. I arrived for my stay on 22nd December and was surprised to be asked for my credit card even though I had paid in full €707 in advance. Only when a large amount appeared on the card reader and I was asked to enter my pin was I made aware of this charge vaguely explained as for "incidental occurrences".
Not exactly a friendly welcome. I don't mind paying deposits but was very disappointed at that point as it wasn't mentioned anywhere on their website/booking confirmation.
On the day of my departure I checked out and was promised that the deposit would be refunded to my account that day. I was also asked to pay 5.5% city tax which was fine as it's clearly mentioned on the website/booking confirmation so I was aware of this extra charge.

I was expecting to see the deposit refund on my account within 24 hours as promised but after 3 days there was no sign of it. Be aware that the actual transaction may not be visible on your account (as in my case) but the balance will be much higher than the available amount.
I emailed the hotel and was told the following:
"It is common policy to request a credit card inprint on arrival, on which we request an authorization of euro xx.xx for any possible charges guests may book on their room account like breakfast charges, drinks at the bar, laundry, etc… The authorization is not an actual deposit, it is an amount which is reserved by the credit card company for usually 5 to 10 working days after which it is automatically released. The period may change according to the country or bank guests use." I was also told that if I don't get it back within 10 days I should email my card number and its expiry date so they can check it. Strange this "common policy" is not mentioned anywhere on the website or booking confirmation (unlike the 5.5% city tax) and when I asked about that my question was ignored.

It's been more than 10 days since I checked out and still no sign of the refund. I decided to contact my bank to see if there's anything they can do about it. I was told the refund should have been made within one business day as it doesn't depend on the bank location. I was given transaction details (which I can't see on my account) and was advised to contact the hotel which I did and was told the following: "We have contacted the company and the authorization is released,
but it may take another 2 weeks before all systems have been cleared."
At this point I'm not sure if I get my money back but I just wanted to say I'm very disappointed with this hotel.

You should make it clear on your website and booking confirmations that there is a deposit charge which takes 5-10 days (or a month!) to refund. Otherwise it makes you look like scammers earning interest.

8  Thank Nila M
EsthereaHotel, Owner at Hotel Estherea, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Ms Nila,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have taken your advise and we have now mentioned our policy on our room confirmation. It is also already mentioned on Booking.com. Please also be advise that we have a plate at the reception where we also mention the procedure during check-in. Furthermore please be advised that it does depend on the bank you use and country you come from, how long it takes for the authorization to be released. We request daily around 50 authorisation of arriving guests and usually the authorization is released within 10 working days by the creditcard company. The number of complaints we receive regarding this topic is very limited therefore we have never mentioned it on our confirmation and I would like to point out that we do not receive the authorization amount. This amount is reserved by the credit card company and not transferred to our bank account, therefore we are dependent on the credit card company to release the authorization and arrange the refund. This is not something we can do ourselves.

Herewith we would like to inform you more about our hotel policy conditions regarding credit cards.

Your credit card details are required to guarantee your booking up to your arrival at the hotel. Payment will be made exclusively to the hotel. If you cannot take up your booking, you need to cancel no later than 1 day before your date of arrival. Please take into account that the date of arrival starts at 0.00 am (CET.). Bookings not cancelled 1 day before arrival will be billed at a cost equivalent to the price of the first night. In case of no-show, the total price of the booking will be charged. A different cancellation policy may apply for group bookings. The hotel will contact you within 24 hrs. if this is the case.

In case you booked a NON REFUNDABLE room or package, the following conditions are applicable: Your credit card details are necessary to qualify for this promotion. No change or cancellation can be made after booking. Upon booking, you accept to be charged for the full price of the stay, this amount is non-refundable in case of cancellation or change of dates of stay.

Please be advised of our authorization policy. We do ask an authorization (room rates + deposit for any additional charges) on your credit card or full pre-payment in cash (room rates + deposit for any additional charges) at check-in. Debit and check cards will actually hold a euro amount from your checking account until released after at check-out.

Once thank you for your feedback and consideration.

Kind regards,
Esther Peper-Esselaar
Owner at Hotel Estherea

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here for 2-nights in December and this hotel has it all! Excellent location! The lobby, library, bar, and dining areas were beautifully decorated for the holidays. The well-appointed room was large, comfortable, and very clean. It was in the front of the building with a nice view of the canal, but just a bit noisy in the morning.

The receptionists were helpful, professional, and friendly.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and would stay there again if we ever visit Amsterdam again.

1  Thank FairReview2
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The location is great and the room was clean. Service was very good. Only complaint is that there is no door lock inside the room which is very unusual in my experience. The hotel provides free coffee 24/7 and ponchos in the rain. I would stay here again but wish there was a lock I could lock on the inside.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great City , Great Location , Great Hotel , Great Service... Great Breakfast,
we enjoyed our stay very much , everyone was a great help to find us good restaurants arrange the boat trips etc, , definitely coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends