4,331 results
All reviews singel canal beautiful hotel dam square canal view room complimentary coffee within walking distance jacuzzi bath deluxe room nine streets perfect location lobby area anne frank house flower market loved this hotel beautiful room major attractions would highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Just returned from Amsterdam last evening and wanted to share my experience being there. I flew from Manston (in Kent, UK) to AMS with a friend and took the train into Central Station. Easy peasy. Then walked to the Estherea. If you're reasonably fit and have carry ons only, it is an easy walk; (head out of the station to your right, cross Prins Heindrikkade, and walk to your right; you will hit Singel, make the left (you have no choice) and just walk down the street (approximately a 10 minute walk) if you have mobility issues and lots of bags, then take a taxi.

Our rooms faced the canal and were wonderful. The young bellman showed us how to use the electricity and advised that this was our home and to enjoy. A small refrig and safe are there for your use (along with 2 small bottles of water, free).

There is coffee, tea and hot chocolate available (I think) all the time in the lobby. There are biscuits/cookies out for eating along with your beverage. I wish I had taken a photo of the coffee/hot chocolate/hot water machine; it has compartments on top for the coffee beans and the hot chocolate so when you want your coffee or hot chocolate, it grinds the coffee or chocolate fresh and chucks it into your waiting cup below!

The rooms are a treat; each one is different but decorated in such a chic, eclectic manner that if you are the type who likes cozy, chic decor, this will be the place for you. It is not shabby chic; it is comfy chic. If you like super modern rooms with lots of space and a big bathroom where everything looks cookie cutter, then do not stay here. The bathroom toiletries are Bio Olive Naturals from Germany (I would have preferred Dutch body care but they were still pretty nice) include shower gel, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, a shower cap and a shoe buffer. The bathroom sink is by Villeroy et Boch which gives you an idea of the detail that was put into this hotel. One of the sister/owners did the decorating in each room and she must really love her job.

The rooms are all different; mine was the smaller of the two; it had two windows and a smaller bathroom than my friend's room; my friend had a bigger bathroom and bedroom but only one window (the windows are a good size). Both faced the canal and it was wonderful to wake up to the sight of the canal and bicycles moving on the other side of it.

Breakfast is served downstairs but we felt it was a tad expensive so we went around the corner to one of the many cafes that serve breakfast. There is a bar on the first floor which looked very appealing but we didn't stop there; too much to do in Amsterdam!

Since it is during the holidays, it is tastefully Christmasy decorated in the public rooms. There was a couple with one of their mothers and they were using the Estherea as a home base to do day trips to Bruges and the other trainable cities for two weeks. I wish that we could have done that, too!

It was raining yesterday but that didn't stop anyone; the Estherea has umbrellas to lend to their patrons (solid handles and full size umbrellas in hot pink - their color). There may not be enough for late risers but we were able to get ours.

Walking distance to much shopping, the Anne Frank house, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, supermarket Albert Heijn (pick up Dutch treats there instead of shopping at tourist places).

The beds are wonderful; we both slept really well; wonderful covers and big pillows make for a great sleep.

They have a baggage hold in case you are checking out but your flight is not until later that day.

The staff is attentive and helpful.

We were very sorry to leave this fabulous touch of Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Ask for a canal room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank BZM_13
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I travel to Amsterdam quite a bit on business and have a couple of favoured hotels, they were booked out this time so I tried the Estherea on recommendation from a colleague and was not disappointed.
Lobby is extremely ornate and rooms are nicely done, quite small, but the bathroom was a good size.
Service was excellent and quite personable, think the hotel is privately owned, though i would suggest getting to breakfast before 8 am as the dining room is compact for a lot of people and so there was queuing for food. Good point though was the free coffee in the lobby,
The location is good being close to Dam Square so the clientèle were mainly tourists.

Room Tip: High up is quieter but lifts are slow, so tough choice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I tend to stay in more modern hotels so this hotel was such a fun change. It's decorated a little bit like your widowed aunt Esther's house, with wonderful colors, velvet, and lots of crystal chandeliers and wallpaper. It's incredibly cozy, clean and fun. Your room key is attached to a big, clunky keychain and you bring it back to the front desk every time you leave so you get to know the very friendly and helpful staff during your stay. The hotel is in a perfect location, as everyone mentions. It's right on the Singel canal and easy walking distance to all the sites, or transportation. I was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the canal, which was lovely. My particular room was small but since I was traveling alone, it wasn't a big deal. (I did look at a layout of the hotel and most rooms are much bigger. Since I was traveling for business alone.) There is a huge crystal chandelier over the bed. The bathrooms are modern and have everything you need. Breakfast is good and the restaurant staff is friendly. No issues with my stay at all. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Very friendly and helpfull staff, beautiful hotel and rooms, excellent location. The views from the rooms are stunning. We had a great time and met with some other nice couples at the lobby bar. We will definitely return to this hotel next time we're in Amsterdam.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Having spent a night in the outskirts of Amsterdam, we were pleased to be within walking distance of many important sights at the Estherea. We had a very enjoyable overnight stay and wished we were there longer, to sample other breakfast options! Ours was a very quiet and comfortable room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel