“Maximalism”
Review of Hotel Estherea

Hotel Estherea
Ranked #18 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A very cosy hotell. Very different sizes on the rooms. I got a big one. A good bed, large bathroom. The breakfast was excellent, including sparkling for the glass. Good location, close to Dam.
Perfect for couples, maybe not for the youngest :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a large for a large one. I think f.ex. room 218 and 318 are large.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after concluding my business in Amsterdam. It's an older but fairly stately European hotel. If you are looking for ultra- modern chrome and glass with a super-wide flat screen TV, this is not the hotel for you. But I found it to be a great stay which I thoroughly enjoyed. The location (along the Single canal) is absolutely perfect with proximity to Dam Square, the Ann Frank House, the Hermitage Museum and much more. The hotel can be easily reached from the Central Station by Trams #1, #2 or #5, or on foot - about a 15min walk. The staff at the hotel was extremely helfpul with information and directions. A free internet connection is available and it worked flawlessly. The room was large, clean, and nicely furnished and the bed was comfortable. I received an upgrade through TA which may be the reason my room had a sofa and two arm chairs.
Breakfast (which I elected not to take) is available for an additional fee. Coffee and tea are available for no charge in the lobby around the clock and there is a surfeit of restaurants of all types within walking distance of the hotel.
The bathroom was very clean and had all the essentials. My only complaint was that the bathroom had louvered doors which might had been a minor annoyance had I not been alone.
The Estherea had everything I needed. It was clean, and comfortable, had a helpful staff, and was well situated in central Amsterdam. I would stay here again and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JeffNewJersey
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked this hotel very last minute just for a night for a romantic break with my husband. It was just beautiful! We chose a deluxe room with canal view, it was beautifully decorated, it has an old fashioned feel, but quite modern at the same time (check out their website, you will understand ). The bed was 10/10. The staff is super friendly and helpful, and although there is no dining area in the hotel, the breakfast room, the library, the sitting room and especially the bar are dreamy. The breakfast is extra at 18 euros per person, and if you really eat a lot it is worth it. Freshly made eggs, fresh fruit, everything in great variety and plentiful. However, if you do not eat for two, there are so many places all around the hotel and you can save some money. A very nice service that they provide is that you can get coffee and all hot beverages whenever you wish from a machine right next to reception. You can either help yourself and enjoy your drink in one of the hotel areas, or take it with you in paper cups and go out and about in the city.
Another great plus of this hotel is the location. I do not think there is a better one! Right on the ´nine streets´, central and picturesque as well.
A final note if you are considering going to Amsterdam but have a choice on when: Until at least May 2013 the city is going through MAJOR work on the underground, streets, pavements, museums, you name it, to prepare for the Queens retirement and what not. If you can delay it, I think you would be rewarded...

Room Tip: Call before you book. You can find out about specific rooms, because they differ in size and locatio...
1  Thank travelsandeats
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Its a 15 - 20 minute walk from the central station so a good base for exploring Amsterdam. The staff at the hotel are extremely welcoming and helpful. They booked all our museum tickets, canal trips etc for us. This does help with the Anne Frank museum as you do not have to queue and pre-booked tickets have a separate entrance. They recommended different restaurants to eat and made the necessary reservations for us.

The hotel is beautifully decorated throughout and our deluxe room was elegant and we did not want for anything. As previous reviews have stated the breakfast is excellent, a nice glass of bucks fizz to start your day off!!!! There is also free tea, coffee, biscuits just off reception which is a nice touch.

The bar area is relaxing and the staff are experienced and very friendly.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we will always use when visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We did not see the standard rooms but the deluxe rooms and about are beautiful.
1  Thank Holiday29
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This Hotel is one of the best my husband and I have ever stayed in. We walked from the station with our case and bags when we arrived - a tram or taxi was not needed. It was lovely to walk by the canals and take in the atmosphere. On arrival at the Hotel the staff were very kind, helpful, and did everything they could to make your stay a pleasant one. The Hotel decoration was well thought out, and very relaxing. Our room, or should I say suite, was lovely and we had everything we needed. The whole Hotel was very, very clean. Breakfast was a joy because not only was the area clean and well decorated there was plenty of food and you could eat as much as you wanted. The breakfast provided catered for all tastes. There was no evening meal at the Hotel, but the staff recommended a Dutch restaurant round the corner which was excellent. The Hotel is so close to all you would wish to see, and nothing is better than a leisurely walk taking in all there is to see. We even borrowed an ipad during the weekend. We would both recommend this Hotel to anybody as a base to stay in Amsterdam.

1  Thank Gloria S
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel, where my husband and I recently stayed to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
- The location is very central, close to all the major attractions, right on a beautiful canal
- The lobby, library, bar, sitting area are beautiful and welcoming (I like pinks and reds so the color was a plus for me).
- The hotel has a friendly cat in residence - I didn't catch her name, but she's black with a white tie and a little tummy. My husband and I got a chance to play with her a few times.
- The hotel remembered our anniversary - when we returned to the room (which was ready early!) after a day of sightseeing, two small bottles of Prosecco and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates, with a nice note, were waiting for us. Our room (519) faced away from the canal but was spacious by European standards and had a jacuzzi. I liked that the toilet was in a separate room, and also liked a separate glass shower and his/hers vanities. I also liked that we had a small balcony, though for the most part it was too cold to enjoy it.
- I recommend pre-buying breakfast (EUR 13 pp instead of EUR 18 if you buy it later). The selections were great - cold salads, cold cuts and cheeses, breads, yogurts, fruit, hot sausage/egg type dishes, juices, hard boiled eggs, etc., etc., etc., pastries, croissants - in other words, more than plenty to choose from. (Our package also included fee WiFi in the room. If you don't get it as part of a package, there is a EUR 10/day charge.)
- I enjoyed the free coffee/cappuccino/tea machine (all hours) and candy/cookies available to guests. A nice touch.
- The mini-fridge had free water and we were able to store some fruit we brought with us.
- The gym seemed nice, though I didn't have a chance to use it.
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and I would not hesitate to stay at Estherea again or recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

1  Thank giulietta429
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful find, we stayed for 3 nights recently and found everything to be a very good standard. Coffee and tea in lobby, free all day with cakes and biscuits. English newspapers and most friendly and helpful staff. It is centrally located behind Dam Square, 10-15 mins walk from Central Station near a tram line but on a quiet canal. Breakfast seemed expensive so we just had free coffee in the hotel and went out for an early lunch nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms at front overlooking the canal are the ones to choose if you have choice
1  Thank CharlesH2013