“A comfortable, well located, pleasant hotel with lovely staff.”

Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken
Ranked #74 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel recently and was overall very pleased with my stay. The welcome at the reception when I arrived was very friendly, I asked for a room on the topfloor & was given one. It was small with slanted ceiling but with a nice view of the city. One night I had a problem with the people in next room, they were very loud, back at 1am & by 2am still banging doors. The clerk downstairs was very understanding & helpful. The problem was obviously dealt with the day after as I didn't hear a noise after that. I found the staff really nice, pleasant,
whatever you may need. That makes a difference. The location is good, 2mn from the Rikjsmuseum and 5mn from the famous Concert Hall. About 20mn from the center.
My two down marks would be the expensive breakfast at €19.50, a quick, cheaper version would be needed. And wifi should be free. Otherwise it is an warm, quiet, comfortable, lovely hotel I totally recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Josephien
Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Very nice and good located boutique hotel with clean rooms and very friendly staff in the city of Amsterdam! Close to a couple of Museums, the Grachten area and very easily to reach by Tram or Bus. Nice but easy breakfast, very helpful and friendly staff!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank chsp01
Reviewed March 15, 2014

A good hotel which is in an excellent position for visiting the nearby Rijks Museum. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was excellent (eg smoked salmon available) but pricey. The cost is 15 euros if ordered in advance and 19.50 if not. However, staff did not seem to be that rigid about whether it had been ordered and gave us our at 15 euros anyway. The 197 bus for 5 euros from Schipol is the easiest way to get there.
Internet access is a fairly expensive extra.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014

In a perfect place for visiting Rijskmuseum andConcertboeuw , plus Van Gogh museum . Easy to get to by bus from Schipol (no197....5 euros ) stop (Rejksmuseum ) very close by , as are the trams (lines 2and 5 ) to central Amsterdam and the main railway station for those travelling out of town .
Hotel charming , clean , expensive( but plenty of it) breakfast , excellent and friendly staff . test always is would one stay a second time . In our case definitely yes

Room Tip: we had a superior room ..only minor complaint is that the room safe is on the floor and numbers are...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twobags
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very friendly staff and the hotel is perefectly located as it is close to the museum qaurter (Van Gogh museum, Diamond museum, Ryjk's museum) and the local tram line. They also have a very nice baby cot. The hotel doesnot offer dinner and there is very few restaurants close to the hotel, but because the tram line is close this is not a major concern.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Louise G
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Located just minutes from the Rijksmuseum and a short walk to Leidseplein, this hotel is ideally situated for easy access to major city attractions. Yet it's still cozy and quiet for sleeping.
It has boutique feel, with nicely appointed interiors. Based on other reviews, we opted for a Superior Room, which was well worth it. It was spacious, comfortable and clean. Service was good, not great. Bar service in particular was very slow. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but it was a bit pricey. Overall, it's a great place while you explore Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Opt for a Superior Room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JudyFW16
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I arrived around midnight for a two night stay. The receptionist was named Anderson.
I had prepaid for a two night package which included 'free breakfast'.

Anderson couldn't find a confirmation I had prepaid, but he did find the reservation. Instead of offering to figure out where the payment went, he asked me to pay twice.

I politely declined.

He was ready to charge €200 to my card, but I stopped him. I repeated to ask him to find proof of payment. All he found was a clause reading, "this guest shall only pay incidentals."

I agreed to pay the €100 (€50/night) incidental deposit via my card. When I go to sign the receipt, it's actually for €150. Excuse me? Did he just intentionally charge me an additional €50 without my consent? Yes, he did. And he acted perfectly entitled to do so.

When pressed, he said "I told you it would be €150, you are 'too tired' to remember and should go sleep."

Ok, I thought, at least I'll just have a breakfast and go sleep. I asked his manager's name (Miriam) and made plans to discuss with her tomorrow.

Ready to go, I quickly ask about my included breakfast.

"Oh you don't have breakfast included" Anderson smirks while talking.

But I did! Another small detail this hotel can't get right.

Why even stay here?

Rooms:
Grimy, in need of update. Almost everything could be replaced. From creaky floors to crusty sinks, this place is antiquated. See attached images of some blood stains.

Volume:
I arrived on a Friday, people can be heard from the street. It's not soundproofed. You'll hear each word in each sentence of each minute of each late night conversation while you try sleeping. You better be here to party and not for business, because this hotel is not for the hardworking.

Internet:
You'll be asked to pay exorbitant rates for third world speeds.

In the end I met with Miriam, who consoled me with the typical "We're so sorry" and "Anderson will be spoken to" pseudo-assurances of repair.

Miriam reversed the charge (yes, the one I should have never had) and as a gesture of apology she offered me the generous prize of 'free breakfast'.

Just stay away from this craphole. It needs new management, new fixtures, and new staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business