“Perfect location and ambiance”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 3, 2011

This hotel is in the centre of Amsterdam, a perfect location for wherevever you want to visit whether walking or a short tram ride. The first impression of the hotel is of a large town house, when you walk in you are immediately greeted to a warm friendly atmosphere. I can only speak for the main hotel building ( as I believe the hotel does have an annex a couple of buildings away) but after checking in, the room (Junior Suite)met all expectations, from fittings, spa bath, to the underfloor heating in the bathroom. The bar ( which is the breakfast area as well) is a wonderful relaxing area after an afternoon / evening exploring the city.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We had a 2 night layover in Amsterdam after traveling three weeks in Kenya and wanted a place that would be restful, romantic and provide easy access to museums and the delights of Amsterdam. Incredible! The Toren was an easy 5 minute cab ride from Central Station (we took the train from the airport -- also very easy), we were warmly welcomed, served like royalty at the front desk, in the cozy bar, by the bellman in our room set up, at breakfast (which is delicious, varied and more than anyone could want) and by all the staff who made sure we found we our way to all the sights we wanted, excellent meals and locations for dinner within walking distance and, what else can we say. We will be back! You won't be disappointed staying at The Toren and you are likely to be delighted.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Location is very good. It is on a quiet street in a very nice part of town and yet very centrally located , so that you can walk everywhere.
The staff was very very friendly and our room had everything one needs when traveling,I.e robe slippers ,nespresso coffee etc. Really we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2011

It's a great -clean- economic hotel in the city center. Nice staff. I recommend it everybody: families-couples- friends!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2010

There are many glowing reviews of the Toren and they all ring true: Lovely rooms, gorgeous setting (the view overlooking the canal was special), friendly staff, quaint bar (with a great martini), superb location near the Jordaan and the 'Nine Little Streets' - but then they went beyond the call of duty in a way that no chain could ever have done.

We (myself, wife, and 7-month old baby) were in the Toren during the blizzard that dumped a half foot of snow on Amsterdam recently (late Dec). As we made our way to check out, Mr. Toren stopped us and said, "if your train doesn't leave, call me immediately and I'll hold a room for you." Sure enough, trains out got cancelled, and the situation at the station started to get chaotic. And true to his word Mr. Toren held us a room - at a superb rate I should add - when what few rooms available in the city were otherwise being offered to stranded travellers at extortionate prices. What could have been a nightmare turned out to be another wonderful night in Amsterdam. In a world full of chains, it's nice to know that there's still a few family owned places that believe in hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hedgie01
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed at the Toren for two nights in November. My room was in the annex, which is several doors down from the main building that houses both the reception as well as the dining room.

The Toren is in a what appears to be a residential area right on the Keizersgracht ... one of the major canals that ring the Amsterdam. The two buildings appear to be townhomes that was converted to a hotel. I had a room on the fourth floor, and I think I was upgraded to a canal view room. The decor and furnishings are rich and classical ... maroon velvet furniture abound, and even the rooms are framed with crown moulding and a chandelier. My room was a nice size as a single traveler and I would consider it average sized for a European hotel room. The bathroom was a surprise because it had a combo shower and jacuzzi tub. Frankly, the jacuzzi seemed a little unnecessary for such a little bathroom, but it was a nice touch.

The service is what set this hotel apart. I arrived at the hotel at about 9:00AM, after having taken the Thalys from Brussels to Amsterdam. I had just expected to drop my bags off so that I could go have breakfast and explore the city until check-in time. The reception offered breakfast, and I had initially refused because I just didn't want to have a hotel breakfast. I had misunderstood, because they were offering breakfast to me for free. That was a really nice start. Breakfast was a hot buffet breakfast, with wonderfully polite service. From start to finish, the staff all were helpful, exhbiting true hospitality ... I felt like a guest in their house.

In terms of location, I was initially hesitant because it seemed a little off the beaten path. Don't let the location on the map fool you ... it's close enough to the big tourist sights, while being far enough away that you feel like you can explore the "real" Amsterdam. The Anne Frank house is around the corner, and the very interesting district of Jordaan is right nearby. The Amsterdam Centraal station is a fifteen minute walk for a fast-walking urban dweller, so everything is very accessible by foot. What's great about being in a residential area is that you can explore restaurants, cafe's and bars that have a nice local/tourist mix. And it's wonderfully quiet at night, except for the church bells of the Westerkirk which ring all day and all night long ... it's a lovely auditory frame for an European city. If you want to explore further, the tram is less than two blocks away.

Since it's not a big hotel, the amenities are at a smaller scale. There's a restaurant lounge that might seat 20 (and that would feel crowded) where breakfast and cocktails are served. There's also free internet here, so if you need to connect come here instead of paying in your room.

The next time I'm in Amsterdam (and I hope to return!) I will definitely be back over the big luxury chains.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank PoodleRank
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We just returned from a long weekend at the Toren in Amsterdam. We were really impressed, not only with the decor of the hotel but also the really helpful staff at the hotel. On arrival they will give you a detailed map of the city and also a list of recommended restaurants (which we did follow and were really pleased with).
The hotel is located in a lovely part of Amsterdam - straddling the canal district and Jordaan, so there are plenty of nice cafes, shops and markets to visit as well as only being a short walk from Anne Frank museum
Definitely worth a stay!