“Super stay! Great service and location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #1 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Boston, Massachusetts
“Super stay! Great service and location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

What a wonderful hotel experience. Our family stayed for 4 nights. The location is great, facing on to the canal and close to all the city center attractions. The hotel is strikingly furnished - making the most of the slightly cramped townhouse space. The rooms are nicely appointed and neatly designed - the jacuzzi in one of our rooms was a big hit. The breakfast area and the breakfast itself are particularly delightful. Best of all the service was just great: friendly, informal, witty, unobtrusive but always ready to help. They certailnly helped us to feel at home in a new city and to make the most of our time. Every member of our family enjoyed themselves - and that is special!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Eric and Petra Toren should give lessons on how to manage a hotel! We stayed for two nights in August and have already reserved for our next passage through Amsterdam. I was a little afraid of getting a triple room (we travel with our 5 yerar-old son) in the city, as I know space is uslally limited, but this room was large and inviting, with a gorgous view of the canal. That had me thinking about the noise, but my worries were completely unfounded. At first I thought it was only because the street was quiet, but one day saw a group pf people talking and laughing just a few feet away, almost directly under the window, and the noise was barely perceptible. It's still within less than 5 minutes' walk from the hustle and bustle, and has two different canal tour stops within a block of the front door. Extremely comfortable beds, a powerful shower, great toiletries in generous quantities, an assortment of teas and Nespressos in the room, very friendly staff, and one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever seen, what is there to complain about? Oh, by the way - the breakfast room/bar should be a tourist attraction in its own right!
In addition, I have remained in contact with the hotel, and can say that every contact with them has been a pleasure.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

The Toren is a great small hotel, elegant in design and professionally run by staff who make you feel at home away from home. This was our first visit to Amsterdam and we wanted a location close to the Anne Frank House and the Westerkirk as well as convenient to other sights and sounds of the city. Location for us was perfect. Amsterdam is such a beautiful and interesting city and our 4 day stay there was only too short. But the service and kindness of the Toren's staff made such a difference to us in being able to navigate to different venues in the area and around the city. Especially appreciated was the kindness of staff when my wife sprained her ankle during one of the museum visits, providing ice and pointing us to medical assistance and nearby pharmacies (Apothek) as needed. The Toren's elevator (lift) was especially appreciated (rare for for small hotels here) at that point.

If you visit Amsterdam, do consider the Toren as your home base to see the city...you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

After 3 year spent in Amsterdam, it is one of my favorite place:
- team is great
- location is wonderful (calm and beautiful Jordan)
- Room comfort is very good
- Breakfast is lovely and well balanced
Summer time is even better: there is a small garden / terrace in the courtyard: very restful and so precious.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Groningen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Very friendly staff. Extraordinary special setting. Excellent breakfast in a perfect atmosphere. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Toren last month for two nights. We highly recommend it. My top priority is a comfy bed . . .which the Toren has! Of course the bathroom was small, but perfectly fine. The bedroom itself was actually bigger than I expected. Fun decor gave it a cosy, comfortable feel.
The staff was very helpful and kind. We especially enjoyed Jimmy--not sure of spelling-- (pronounced "yeemy), the bartender. He had quite a few bartending adventures to share and makes fantastic cocktails.
I wouldn't get the breakfast there, though. It was 15 EU...good food, but very expensive!
Overall we had a great stay at the Toren and would go back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I spent almost three weeks in Europe for our honeymoon. We decided to book through a travel agent (who was excellent), and she had us stay at the Toren in Amsterdam, our first city of the trip.

We arrived at the Toren early in the morning, because our flight came in at 7 am. Our room was not ready, but we expected that to be the case. To pass time, we decided to explore Amsterdam, and immediately, the front desk staff were helping us get our bearings, making suggestions and really making us feel comfortable in the city.

The hotel's location is perfect. It is on a nice, mellow canal, but just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of city center. It is walking distance from everything, and close to many private homes, with niche restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and local flavor peppered throughout the neighborhood.

When we returned to the Toren, we were offered a drink before heading to our room. The bar in the hotel, along with the sitting/dining room is really well designed. It is a perfect mix of old world (as in castle) furniture with a fresh, modern feeling. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the people that worked at the hotel.

Anyway, they had us follow the bellman to our room, and it was way, way, way better than we could have ever anticipated. It was probably the most unique and relaxing hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. With direct access to the courtyard, our room was fully loaded with a huge bed with a ton of soft and fluffy pillows, a giant jacuzzi tub, high-tech steam shower, cappuccino/espresso machine, flat-screen tvs, and even a bottle of champagne and some other goodies.

It was the perfect environment for us to relax, unwind and retire to after explorations in such a neat and unique city.

The question I always ask myself after exploring a new city or place: "Will I go back?"

I can say that the comfort offered by this boutique hotel, the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, location and overall experience of staying at this place added a ton of value to our trip and helped to make Amsterdam stand out in my head as one of the most friendly, fun and interesting cities in the world.

Will I go back? Absolutely! I would recommend anyone traveling to Amsterdam to spend their nights at the Toren Hotel. I've found "my spot" for sure. Highly recommended for an upscale, non-snooty, warm, comfortable and laid back place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple