“Fun and romantic”
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Arrived unexpectedly because of a miscommunication elsewhere. Called in afternoon for a room for the night. The staff could not have been more helpful. The location is great. The decor is almost over the top - lots of red and black - thirties? The bar is delightful - met a friend for a glass of wine and some hamburger sliders - delicious. Breakfast was among the best hotel buffets. The room was small - booked that deliberately. Fabulous bathroom, felt luxurious. As others have said, the lighting is on the dim side. I could not figure out how to turn off the sconces on either side of the bed so ended up sleeping with an eye mask leftover from the flight.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Gourmand2013

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I never write any reviews but I thought this hotel really deserves one. I have been to so many stunning hotels but this one really stands out. Basically you will be hoping that something goes wrong during your stay to see how they make it up to you. Let me explain : Our check-in was delayed by an hour because the previous client decided he wanted to take his time. We were in a good mood so we didn't make a fuss and decided to play a game of chess and order some food in their stunning baroque style bar. We were handed the bill and said thank you very much for the upgrade to the next category suite( Executive Garden suite for 2 people with jaccuzi and steam room ) . A couple of hours later, i get a call from the assistant of the owners who said a BIG mistake was made by handing me a bill for the food as it is their fault we ended up in the bar, so the bill was waved, a bottle of Moet et Chandon was sent and breakfast was complimentary as well. I have never seen this anywhere else, they surely know how to spoil their clients and manage a (mini) crisis! Anyway, we were extremely happy, we loved our room, it was beautiful and perfect for a romantic getaway and the location was just ideal for us, close to everything.
This place is a gem and we will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahGvdw
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Strong points:-
1. Efficient friendly helpful staff from the Portuguese man who showed us to our room to the reception staff who made all our restaurant bookings.
2. Its lovely central position in the Jordaan district near Westerkirk on the Kaisergracht Canal. An area that is interesting and tranquil.
Weak Point ( for us) subdued lighting and dark wall coverings in small bedroom which would be romantic and sexy for some. Rather worryingly gloomy for us more advanced in age!

1  Thank John J
Reviewed February 9, 2014

After spending several days sleeping on a lumpy mattress at a hotel in another city, sleeping on the bed at The Toren was like being hugged by a cloud. The location is perfect for all of the activities available within the city. The decor is wonderfully historic and the staff are absolutely wonderful. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have just returned from our second stay at The Toren and I must say the staff here are most friendliest staff I have ever met. Nothing is too much for them and the bath is to die for after a long day walking around Amsterdam.

When you walk in the decor is sultry but beautiful. The rooms are very clean and the beds are so comfortable that you don't want to get out. For me it is the little things in the rooms that count like the decent coffee and the slippers that I need after the long days.

It is on the higher end of the price scale but is in the nice part of Amsterdam but it is only a short walk from Dam square.

If you a looking for a romantic get away the Toren is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Even the cheapest room is wonderful
1  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have just returned from our first trip to Amsterdam and were lucky enough to have stayed at the Toren. The hotel is exquisite, décor beautiful, atmosphere superb, staff helpful, friendly and professional. Eric and Petra Toren, hotel owners, have created a perfect oasis from which to enjoy the wonderful city. Their attention to detail and all the extra finishing touches make all the difference.
On a practical note, the hotel is in a great central location and the beautifully decorated rooms have every amenity you could need for a comfortable stay.
We can't wait to return in the summer, you must try it!!

2  Thank 100Paula
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My first trip to Amsterdam in more than 45 years. I chose The Toren because it is #1 on TripAdvisor. The rating is warranted! What a lovely hotel. I stayed a week beginning Jan 18th. The hotel is charming, the staff especially attentive. They reached out to me before I arrived to make sure I had a ticket to the Ann Frank house so I didn't have to stand in line. They also upgraded my room! The best sleep I've had in months.
The style is edgy and 1930s at the same time. Very intimate. Good bar and breakfast.
I highly recommend the hotel and plan to return.
Great location. Never needed anything but the tram.
Just amazing.