“Perfect location, lovely hotel, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect location, lovely hotel, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights in this lovely, perfectly located hotel and recommend it highly. We will definitely be staying here again on future visits to Amsterdam.

The proprietors and staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. The hotel is beautiful, charming and well-maintained, the rooms are large (at least ours was) and well-designed, and the location is ideal (at least for what we wanted—which was a nice, neighborhood setting but within easy walking distance to many sights). The Toren is just around the corner from the Westerkerk (a handy landmark to find your way back to the neighborhood) and from the Anne Frank House. The Jordaan district, filled with great restaurants, is right at hand. And it's a fairly short walk to Centraal Station and Dam Square, but a world away in terms of noise and crowds. We walked easily to Museumplein (although not a short walk) and other attractions throughout the central city. If you're not a walker, the Toren is also close to several tram lines, making it a very convenient location no matter how you like to get around.

We stayed in the Annex, which is a few doors down from the main building. It is a minor inconvenience to be in the Annex as opposed to the main building, where breakfast is available and where the bar is located. (The staff will be only too happy to accommodate your particular needs in terms of location within the hotel complex. Just ask when you book. At least that was our experience, and the owners are clearly very interested in guest feedback and suggestions. They followed up on more than one comment I made in the survey they sent us following our stay.)

Our room was on the second floor of the Annex, overlooking the Keizersgracht Canal. The view was absolutely beautiful and exactly what we were hoping for. Our room featured nearly floor-to-ceiling windows, which opened onto the canal and were the full width of the room. The room was very large, by European standards, and very comfortable, especially the bed. The closet had lots of nice shelves, a refrigerator, safe. The bathroom even had a large pullout drawer (in addition to a shelf above the toilet), which was very convenient. The room also had plentiful electrical outlets. In short, the management and owners have thought of many small extras that make your stay more convenient and enjoyable. The design of the room was dramatic and charming at the same time.

The staff of The Toren are really terrific, among the best we have experienced. When we first arrived, the handle on my husband's suitcase broke off as we were getting out of the cab. One of the staff members repaired it so it was usable again and took care of it almost before we checked in. We called the front desk for a couple of small things during our stay, and within minutes the staff had taken care of our request. Everyone (EVERY one) on the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: My only suggestion about getting a good room is knowing your own preferences, checking the hotel web...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Susie523

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Arabic first
County Meath, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my (newly)fiancé stayed here in January and all I can say is WOW!!
If your looking for Romantic,Elegant,Classy, Stunning,Unique,Intimate,Friendly Professional, Clean and just an all round excellent stay, then The Toren is for you!
Im am terribly fussy about booking a hotel when I go away and would always book into a 5 star hotel as being a business owner myself and working extremely hard I like to spoil myself when we travel. Even though The Toren is a 4 star hotel something just struck me about it, also the reviews were so positive. The decor is truely beautiful.very much the Wow factor. Its very different to the big hotels we've stayed at with 500+ rooms and that what we loved about it.the staff are so welcoming and friendly and always smiling,but so professional.We also had a complimentary bottle of champagne sitting waiting for us in our room as I happened to mention we got engaged recently!
When booking our holiday I decided to break it up and do 2 nights in The Toren and 2 nights at a very well known and and might I add (way too expensive)€36.50per person for breakfast 5star hotel 5 minutes away.And although our stay was really nice here we were sorry we didn't book the 4 nights at The Toren and both agreed within minutes we preferred The charming and quirky Toren!
I hope this helps because if your fussy about where you stay like me and want the best,remember size doesn't always matter!! ;-)
Book The Toren!

6 Thank lyonsy87
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was staying for Christmas and New Year in Amsterdam with the person I love more than anything in the world and I wanted to find somewhere romantic and comfortable that would give her the break of her life and The Toren was the perfect choice. An historic 17th Century property -it was a perfect hideaway for a romantic break and Angela and I had the time of our lives. The hotel staff went out of their way to be polite and helpful and they delivered a high level of service straight from the heart. I was delighted to see how special they made Angela feel.....

The Toren is situated along a canal, and is a very quiet, though convenient for the centre of the city. A five minute walk to Dam square makes this an ideal location - ten minutes walk to the central train station....

Although there is no restaurant in the hotel, there are numerous fabulous eateries within walking distance. The hotel does, however, have an excellent bar where food is served throughout the day and late into the night. The food is extremely good and was always delivered hot and with a big smile...

The hotel reception is well versed on local restaurants and they have a well researched list of eateries to suit every taste and budget. Both Angela and I found that not only did they know what was available but also went to great lengths to recommend the sort of places they felt we might enjoy. They were always keen to know what we thought of the restaurants we ate in, which showed a refreshing level of interest. We stayed at The Toren for 10 days and did not have a disappointing meal the whole time. I have to say that both Angela and I felt that the staff were very well trained and researched everything very well. In short, they made us feel that we were special to them and that set the tone for an excellent break.

For local excursions, the reception were also terribly helpful and guided us is a very professional manner. It was a real pleasure in every respect.....

The facilities in the hotel rooms are exceptional with all manner of special wellness features - the double Jacuzzi bath and the steam room shower box were just superb and added to the romantic ambience. The heating/cooling system was intuitive and effective, as was the mood lighting system....the skylight blinds were controlled electronically and were excellent in the room we had.

For a very old building, it was amazing that so many lovely features could be incorporated and I have to say that the hotel help make this the happiest time of our lives. I cannot recommend the hotel too much...

This was the first time we have stayed in Amsterdam but it seems that we made the right choice with the hotel having heard what friends have said about the hit and miss nature of booking hotels in Amsterdam city centre. It was really important to me that Angela was happy and this hotel was the foundation of a truly memorable Christmas and New Year.

The staff at The Toren were exceptional and their kindness made the difference between a nice holiday and a great holiday.....

Both Angela and I would like to thank The Toren hotel and all the staff for such a splendid break -we have never been happier.

Room Tip: For a longer stay or for those looking for a bit of extra comfort, it is worth upgrading to an execu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tim-Everest
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I had our first weekend away without the kids in more than 2 years when we stayed at The Toren in Amsterdam (Jan. 4-6, 2014). We had been to Amsterdam several times in the past but this was by far the best hotel experience we've had. The hotel has a fun and funky decor, which I appreciated - it is unique and definitely has a groovy vibe. Our room in the annex building a couple doors down from the main hotel. It was nice and while the bathroom could have benefited from an update it did not detract from our stay. Probably the absolute BEST thing about this place was how kind and helpful the staff were. The gals at the front desk spent a fair amount of time with us talking about restaurants, places to go, the neighborhood, etc. And they made two dinner reservations for us - both of which turned out to be the very best restaurant meals we have had in a very long time (definitely hit up Brasserie Vlaming and Max Restaurant!).

A couple days after our stay, I got an email survey from the hotel - just about 5 or so questions. I filled it out and within an hour the owner of the hotel personally contacted me by email to thank me for filling out the survey and to explain that they are working hard to get permits to update the bathroom that we had in our room (a challenge due to the fact that it is in an old building). That is seriously impressive. As someone with a client in the customer satisfaction industry, I was blown away by the fact the owner personally reads and responds to customer feedback. This is why this hotel consistently wins top honors and rave reviews. Well done!!!

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the main hotel building are a bit nicer than the ones in the annex building but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank loves2travelALOT
_TheTorenFamily, Owner at The Toren, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Special Guests

Your lovely comments are the reason my wife and I are in this business! We are so grateful for your feelings of our hotel and that you found it to be fun and funky with a groovy vibe :) We do our best to make a unique atmosphere at The Toren and so glad that you fully experienced that! As our guest your perfect satisfaction is our number one priority and we find it important to follow up with our guests with any concern that they express so we are glad to inform you about our bathrooms being updated. Thanks a million for your lovely comments about the hotel and our staff, we have shared your comments with them! From The Toren Family to Yours we look forward to welcoming you back to Amsterdam and to The Toren!

Kindest Wishes

Eric and Petra Toren
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Amazing room worth every penny very romantic highly recommend hot tub was amazing every part of this suite was perfect great for a romantic weekend away nice quiet part of Amsterdam no noise easy walk into main square plenty of nice eating places also perfect location stunning views

3 Thank Tracey D
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel having had several interesting experiences with Amsterdam hotels. Hotels in the city centre can be dreadfully hit and miss.

The Toren simply blew my fiance and I away. The rooms are beautiful in deep reds and blacks. The bed was comfortable, the heating and cooling was simple and (wait for it...) effective, and the bath was huge - easily large enough for two with a great bubble spa function.

The staff were great. We arrived at about 9am from an overnight train and just wanted to drop our bags off. The staff were welcoming, and offered to change our room to one which was already ready...but then suggested we leave our bags as the room we had been allocated was better. We were then told we'd been given complimentary breakfast for our stay...and were then offered it for that morning as well.

The staff were also more than happy to make recommendations on tours and restaurants. I wanted to take my fiance fora nice romantic dinner on our last night in Amsterdam (also our last night in Europe) and the recommendation of the girls on reception was perfect.

All in all - an excellent hotel. Great location, great staff, great cocktail list, great breakfast. We would absolutely stay again.

PS - the chocolates and strawberries waiting in our room was a nice surprise, as were the free welcome cocktails.

2 Thank Flying_economy_class
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Recently spent 3 nights in Amsterdam staying at the Toren. We arrived at about midday (before check in time) and they kindly informed us that one of the rooms was ready and we could take our bags there. The receptionist was also very helpful in giving extensive meals recommendations and giving tram numbers for getting to museums etc. Staff were also helpful in taking our bags to the rooms and spoke excellent English and were overall nice to us. The rooms were well furnished with great taste and style - brilliant and funky. Location was within walking distance of everything you could want. Breakfast on the last day was great and we wished we had used it earlier! Would stay again without question.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family