“A gem of a boutique hotel in delightful Amsterdam” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Toren

The Toren
Ranked #2 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reigate
“A gem of a boutique hotel in delightful Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We popped over for a quick 3 day visit and follwoing the recommendations of Trip Advisor stayed at The Toren. We weren't disappointed - it was excellent with beautiful interior decor and immaculate, professional service from the staff - especially those on reception who couldn't do enough to help us get the most from our visit. We had a canal facing room which again was chic, glamourous and totally delightful - especially the open bathroom and the chandeliers!

You could walk and see most of the centre of Amsterdam from the hotel - once you found your directions and the right canal! However, a canal boat trip is well worth doing to see other parts.

Thank you Toren for a wonderful few days and we will certainly recommend others visit.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Arabic first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at The Toren as a single traveler en route from Australia to Scandinavia. I enjoyed my stay, but if I were to return to Amsterdam, I'd probably try somewhere else.

The good things

The location is good, in a nice part of town. It is convenient for the Ann Frank house (if you want to queue round the street to visit), and close to the Westerkerk so convenient for trams. This also one of my 'not so good's - see later
The beds are wonderfully comfortable, with lovely linens and great pillows and doona / duvet. In fact it was hard to get out of bed ( I should note double beds have 2 single duvets which is common to many European countries - I do tend to find them a bit challenging if I want to sleep in the middle of the bed!)
The rooms have radiators / air con and opening windows so you can get the temperature of the room as you like it
The breakfast buffet is good, with hot items, smoked salmon, cold meats and cheeses, a variety of bread and croissants etc. Quality is good -the dark brown bread rolls were delicious and the croissants lovely.
The staff are very service-oriented - reception staff were friendly and helpful, and happy to chat, all other staff in the restaurant etc were also nice. I did have a bit of a chuckle about the gentleman serving breakfast on my first morning who addressed me and other female guests as 'lady'.... 'Good morning lady, would you like some coffee?"
There's a mini-bar fridge which refreshingly doesn't have those stupid 'auto' buttons under bottles - is you can pop items of your own in there if you wish
The bathroom was clean with nice toiletries and a good power shower, and good hot water

The 'not so good' bits - in my opinion anyway!

The decor is quite 'glamourous' but really not to my liking. Although I like quite 'opulent' fabrics and colours such as red and gold, I found the red carpets and black furniture / paintwork a bit tacky / 'boudoir'-stylee. I would imagine within a few years with a few chips in the paint and carpets a bit tired, the rooms won't look too great. I did keep losing black socks against the black velvet seats when it was dark outside and I had the lights on in the room!
I found the decor in the common areas a bit over-the-top, and the corridors in the annexe where I stayed were dark as the result of the choice of wallpapers and paint.
I didn't sleep particularly well despite the great bed - my room was to the back and I was woken several times by guests on the floor above, or nearby. The Westerkerk also rings its bells every 15 minutes - every half hour there's a tune from the carrillion and it strikes the hour. It is very loud, easily heard even with the windows closed. I'm sure the staff would have offered another room if asked, however I enjoyed having the natural light of the room at the back.
The choice of fittings in the bathroom seems to be a good example of .'form over function' -they are high quality but the basin was so huge it took up about half of the available floor area in the bathroom.
Finally, a few 'final touches' seemed to be missing in the breakfast buffet - lemon wedges or capers to go with the smoked salmon, syrup ('stroop') to go with the pancakes and on the second day there was no brown bread. Again, I'm sure staff would have attempted to address these items if asked, but having already asked about several other items I thought I didn't mention those.

So in summary, I enjoyed my stay, and found staff very willing to help, but because of the church noise and a few other bits and pieces would probably try a different hotel if I were to return ro Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank claire_fowler
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I used trip advisor to help select a hotel for our 30th wedding anniversary. What a wonderful choice. The location was a pleasant surprise, it is right in the heart of the Jordan district close to some of the finest canals and walks in amsterdam. We purchased a 48h city card (only available at the central station or official tourist offices). This got us full use of the trams and busses as well as entrance into all the museums.

The hotel is very interesting! An absolute delight to stay in such a luxury room with its own jacuzzi and expresso machine! The room was very clean and we had champagne waiting for us on arrival..a nice touch.

The breakfast was the best I have had in any hotel stay...and I have travelled allot..

Best of all was the staff.. All were very pleasant and always helpful

Highly recommended

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was given a wonderful surprise for Valentine's - a trip to Amsterdam and my husband had booked us into this amazing hotel.

And so, to start - for my husband to say he was impressed with the way in which a hotel reservation is handled is something indeed - take my word for it - he is not easily pleased! The team were immediate with a personalized response when he booked the room and everything they confirmed in writing, they delivered during our stay....AND MORE!!

We arrived to complimentary champagne, chocolates and strawberries in our room - this was such a lovely touch to make the start to the stay all the more special! And the room itself - beautiful - we had a deluxe with jacuzzi and cannot recommend this room highly enough if you want that little bit more in your accommodation. The bed was super comfy, the linen was of extremely high standard, the toiletries wonderful and the furnishings of an extremely high standard - sumptuous, luxurious....

And so onto the team - each and every staff member we encountered clearly has the same core values - to ensure that the guests' stay is enjoyable and memorable (for all the right reasons of course!) and they most certainly delivered on this without fail. Cannot compliment them highly enough.

The hotel's location is perfect, whatever your interests may be - history, art, retail therapy, great restaurants, bars.....all within easy walking distance....

To conclude, cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, be mindful this is traditional hotel with beautiful traditional windows...
1 Thank carusel
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here with two friends last weekend and from the moment we walked in we were made to feel welcome. The staff here go above and beyond and really look after you. The girl on reception was so friendly and pointed out all the places we needed on the map as wel as suggesting other place, and then gave us complimentary breakfast and a free cocktail each. Then a friendly guy carried our bags to our room. Id left my passport at reception and he brought it to us with strawberries and chocolates. Such a sweet thing to do after a tiring journey started our trip on a happy foot.

The hotel was very quaint and the room clean and the bathroom nice with a powerful shower. The bed slightly narrow but the room was very warm which was great when it was so cold and snowing outside. We all slept very well and it was quiet. Our room didnt not have a view but that really didnt matter. The hotel offers free wifi and a tv and a coffee machine. The breakfast was really nice, it was served until 11a, but we got there around then and they were still bringing out food. A great choice of food meant we were set for the day. The place you eat the breakfast is also the bar area, and the decoration is really cozy and nice, they have gone to a lot of effort for a nice effect. Again, the staff were very friendly. I didnt know what to expect for the free cocktail but i was very pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. We got majitos and they were very tasty.

The location is just round the corner from Anne Franks house. Its walkable to central station and not far from dam square. Plenty of things to do and see you on your doorstep. There is a really nice stone baked pizza shop 2 minute walk away across the canal which i recommend.

I cant stress enough how helpful and nice the staff are here. Its a great place to stay and I would recommend staying here as I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
saint petersburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My fiancé and i just returned from a few days in Amsterdam. The hotel was wonderful. The breakfast was nice, the room exceptionally clean and well kept. But what really made this hotel wonderful was how attentive the staff was. They really turn this hotel in the most cosy place to stay and they realy make you feel like home. All these small touches made our stay truly memorable. I definitely recommend this hotel.