“We loved the location” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“We loved the location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great 3-4 star hotel with incredible breakfast buffet included. Free internet. Beds,linens,towels, shower wonderful. Service was great. Perfect just perfect. We are going back next year. You can walk to absolutely everything. On tram route too.

Room Tip: Perfect location and great staff and food
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pookeygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in nh carlton from 27th of december till 11th of january this the first time righting a review for nh carlton without rating it excellent as usually this is my favorite hotel i had a bad experience with the house keeper the first week which is the first time i had any issue with this hotel they didn't change the towels for 7 days although i throw them in the floor several time and when i came back to room they just took it from the floor and put it again in the rail towel!!!! Thats happened 5 times and there was an obvious make up stain in the towels and i didn't complain as am not that kind of customer who like to complain on the 8th day i was really upset and throw all the towels again and the bed sheet which they didn't change also for 7 night on saturday i came back late at night and i was drunk so i slept with my make up on and the bed sheet was full with make up stains which they only change it up down and it remains for several days without changing them!!!!! So after 8 night i throw the bed sheets and the towels again and left the room at 10 am and when i came back at 11 pm so tired i found that they didn't even make the room all the towels on the ground and the bed sheet off!!!! Its not a nice thing in a 4 star hotel when u came tired and just want to go your bed and found the room in that situation!!! This time i went to reception and complain to give them credits all the receptionist were so friendly and helpful one lady came with me to the room she feel shocked when interning my room and see it in that condition specially when i mention that no one change any thing for 8 night!!! She immediately went and bring me a clean bed sheets and offer to help but i did it by My self as that wasn't her fault she told me that she gonna wrote a letter to the house keeping company the second day i found a sorry letter from the manager with a reduction of one night of breakfast and since then the rest of my stay were perfect and i didn't have any problem with the house keeping, on the check out i paid in cash and the rest from the nh credit point which i had that what i usually did if i have much credit but the receptionist on check out have no idea what am talking about and ask me how does that work!!! Which she should know i usually paid with credits without any problem and its just took a second this time its almost took 1 hour but other than this 2 issues my stay was good all of the hotel staff were so helpful and friendly i will choose nh carlton again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A group of us went to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. I contacted the hotel in advance to arrange some champagne in the room on arrival, book a table in the restaurant and a 40th helium balloon. The hotel were fantastic. Everything was carried out as planned, they upgraded our room and even gave my wife a birthday card. The food in the bar/restaurant was really nice although the menu is limited. Nothing was too much trouble, the reception booked tickets for the pizza cruise and sorted out a taxi within minutes when the one I booked myself failed to turn up. All bar staff were friendly, I must mention Rachid who again went the extra mile. A good choice at breakfast. Fantastic location. Would recommend. Thank you for a fantastic stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank David D
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were given a basic room, no view but was functionally but smelt of cigarette smoke. Finding such a good deal we thought we could bare it for 2 nights, until our friends had a look! They went down stairs with us and ask to be moved which was no problem at all and got moved to the 7th floor and what a difference the room was!
Breakfast was very good no complaints, staff very helpful. They booked us a taxi for the morning and the taxi driver has to come in to collect u - we found out why! There was another taxi driver trying from outside the reception window to lear us outside. Speaking to staff at reception they contacted the firm Within seconds the taxi boss was here and things were sorted and the illegal taxi driver was sent packing! It would of cost us twice the price to get to the airport! So thank you staff at NH Carlton!! Would I stay there again? Yes I would!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirsten R
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The location is the best thing about this hotel, it was very central and was walking distance to everything we wanted to see. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was an ok size and although some of the furnishings were a little worn it was clean. There was some noise at night from the tram and the revellers but this is to be expected in this district. The room was a little chilly at times and the duvets are not the thickest considering it was winter but fortunately it wasn't too cold while we were there. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel and fortunately found plenty of nice places nearby that weren't too expensive. We did have the rib eye sandwich in the hotel restaurant one night and it was simple but delicious. I would stay again as the price was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

First off I have to say that I've stayed in complete dives and had to pay more money for the privilege than I did for our two nights stay at the NH Carlton. Granted our stay was midweek in rainy January but I'm still amazed at how little it cost for our twin room. Location was superb, a brisk 15 minute walk from Central Station and a 15 minute walk to the Museums or in our case The Paradiso. Check in was quick, pleasant and efficient (in my experience not always the case with NH hotels). We stayed on the fourth floor facing the street which I always find fun, in fact watching people down below I find a lot more entertaining than the telly. With the window open, it was a little noisy but then I like the sound of trams and Amsterdam life. With the double glazed window shut we heard no noise at all. Decor wise, it's not too sharp and probably could do with a freshen up but we found it perfectly adequate. Bathroom was good, clean with a powerful shower. My only real gripe was the pillow which as per norm was the size of a cushion and a lot less comfortable. We would definitely stay here if the price was as good as on this occasion. I've stayed at a lot of NH hotels and found the standards vary a lot but this one was one of the better.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor for the chance of a better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have just returned from 3 nights at the Carlton,the location of the hotel is perfect.
Although we had requested a double bed we had been allocated twin beds, our room was "upgraded" , we had a double bed, but if the room we had was an upgrade, I dread to think what we were due to stay in.
Overall the staff were friendly, and thank goodness it was one of the few positives.
In the lift going up there is an advert stating you can get rooms in nh hotels for 30 euro's per person, it seems the car parking at 40 euros a night is more expensive than a room!
When we complained we were told it was clearly shown on the web site, I have checked it says paid for service with no indicate of price.
When our room was made up each day, tea bags were not always refreshed, and when they were only 2 tea bags of the breakfast tea, no milk. The toiletries were not always replaced and the bed spread was left scrunched up on the side left in a heap.
Access to wifi ..... well I gave up in the end.
The pillows were lumpy
The rooms decor was tired and dated, as was the bathroom.
I will not be returning the whole experience was a disappointment

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcb08121995

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels