“Location vs noise.”

NH Carlton Amsterdam
Ranked #252 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location!!! And great for the price. However in the website picture they photo shop all the bicycles and scooter parked on the side walk making out near impossible to enter and exit the hotel. (Like anywhere in Amsterdam be wary of bicycles) Also there is no noise insulation whatsoever!. There is a loud night club literally feet from the hotel. When we complained they gave us headphones. I am a deep sleeper and can pretty much sleep through anything but the music was soooooo loud our room was vibrating. So I would definitely recommend to get a room not close to the street. The staff here were helpful with checkin and planning out your day. It would be hard to say if I'd stay here again because the location is perfect to navigate the city and walking distance to a lot but it was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in my whole life.

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

What a shame this hotel has great potential, but our room with faded carpets a shower that needs updating as could the lighting and décor I felt somewhat shortchanged .Finding a silver fish in the bed was not my idea of company! so the hotel bugged me for the wrong reasons including turning up to breakfast bleary eyed to be told we had not booked it ,and that would be 20 euros, as I booked the evening before it appears this was not communicated!!
The breakfast is not good value as it would cost a minimum of 30 euros for two(discounted)
However this hotel is placed in a great position and that for me is the only redeeming feature but not enough for me to stay again.
Found the front of house staff friendly and helpful enough ,but not sure how happy I would be working in such a lowly lit environment.
Is it me but the pillows were half the size of anywhere else I have stayed ,I would also expect the rooms to be serviced everyday .If this was a cheap hotel I would have lowered the standard of expectation but there are plenty of other hotels to choose from.!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Having been to Amsterdam many times this hotel is brilliant in it's location, staff
were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, ideal for a long weekend in this lovely city.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel is extremely well placed for central Amsterdam. On top of the flower market makes for a quiet location, with close proximity to shopping and 2 key squares for drinks and eating.
It also benefits from have several trams pass the door so access is good.
Breakfast is unrealistic at €20 but otherwise a good experience.
The staff were very helpful in arranging to see several rooms ahead of selecting the final choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 night break visiting sights. We found the hotel to be efficient, clean and ideally situated for all the sights. The room was quite small but had everything we needed and was clean and quiet. Overall the hotel is not very special but we had no complaints.

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor on the back side and there was some noise from late night revellers on Saturday...
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Being shouted at by frontline staff at reception desk is not my idea of good service.

Save your money and stay somewhere else!

Although the hotel is in a good location and all ammenities were good quailty, the poor service by one particular staff member runied the entire experience.

I was glad to leave and will not be back!

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Arrived and our double room was a double mattress over two single beds, with two single duvets. I asked if we could get a double duvet and as there was none available the woman upgraded us to a superior room for free. Great customer service. Nice hotel. Good location. Nothing wrong with our stay at all.

Room Tip: Superior room was MUCH nicer than the standard room
1  Thank Dominic O