“Got free upgrade into a lovely room!”

NH Carlton Amsterdam
Ranked #240 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tokyo, Japan
“Got free upgrade into a lovely room!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this hotel as i managed to geet a great deal through booking.com. it was a short walk into the city centre and to the main attractions like Madame Tussauds, the heineken museum and the Palace. We didn't need to use a tram all weekend as we walked everywhere however there was also a tram stop next to the hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who upgraded us to a deluxe room free of charge as we they were unable to provide us with a non- smoking twin room (we had been allocated to a double room). Although we said the double room was fine she insisted on us taking the larger room which we gladly accepted.

The room was large with a view over the street and the flower market. There was also a sofa and 2 chairs which made the room very comfortable. Included in the room was also tea and coffee making facilities, a large amount of toiletries, hairdryer and a safe all free of charge. The bath also had jets in it however we couldn't work out how to turn them on! As others have said, yes the decor was a bit dated, but it was clean and it really didn't bother us at all!We were also not bothered by the sound of traffic outside.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting amsterdam!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The location is very good, but the rooms are a bit dated.

We didnt't have breakfast included in the price, and decided to try one of the local places instead. Can highly recommend taking the two minute walk from the hotel to a fantastic well stocked foodcourt La Place. You get a wide variety of fresh food for a fraction of the price of breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Frode78
Bolton UK
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in jan 2013. Great location but have to agree its not worthy of 4stars. Rooms very dated, worn out carpet and quite noisy if your room overlooks the street which is heavy with traffic and trams. Beds were OK and quite comfortable.
No issues with service at the desk and good breakfast with plenty of continental style food on offer - however if you eat late the food seems to have been out since breakfast is first served i.e 3hrs earlier - hard cheese / bread etc. Only small moans, overall the hotel is worth what we paid (£200 for 3 nights city centre incl breakfast). But hotel rooms needs modernising. Ive stayed in Amsterdam many times and Im aware rooms are very expensive so this is OK but stayed in better 4stars in the centre.

• Stayed January 2013
scotland
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Comfortable hotel ... offering late buffet breakfast (up to midday on Sunday). Hotel well located in Southern canal area with comprehensive choice of restaurants (world food)
Professional staff and relaxed atmosphere in hotel. Rooms small but well equiped and some with balcony facing main road (can be noisy in 24 hour city). Please check when the room is available after cleaning as I did not get access to my room until after 3pm, had early morning tour (would have appreciated being able to access room to 'thaw out' and relax after tour) Possibly due to 6th Floor location? Unsure.
Busy hotel with solo's, couples, groups and families. Recommended

Room Tip: Room with balcaony facing main road may be a bonus or not ...depending on noise level ...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

checkin was good, location great, price was right but not a four star hotel,
more like two star, rooms small, not that clean ,furniture run down,noisy onstreet at nightand even with windows closed interrupted my sleep.I suggest you ask for inside room.

Room Tip: ask for inside room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank music-soul
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed 3 night in last December I booked a deluxe room which was spacious and nice with a good size bathroom and a nice view as all mention the furniture is old and need to be refurbished but it was clean and in a good condition every things worked well in the room the soundproofed windows worked well even my room was faced the flower market once u close the windows u cant hear anything and I got a good sleep the bathroom was in a good size with all the aments u could need am happy and satisfied with everything, the check in staff was too friendly and helpful and always with a smile even the guy who checked me inn show me the room and asked if am happy with it and I absolutely like the room I stayed many time at this hotel and always for a longer time than this stay even the check out took a second , the hotel location is the best location ever its in the middle of every things I highly recommend this hotel to everyone and for sure I will stay at this hotel again thanks to all of nh carlton staff who make me feel like am staying at home cant wait tell my next visit to nh carlton one more thing please note that all my reviews’ about nh carlton based on a deluxe room I never booked a standard room once so I have no idea about there condition.

Room Tip: book a deluxe room its really worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Macduff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Booked this hotel for my partners' birthday, having stayed in Amsterdam before I specifically wanted a hotel which was in walking distance to all the sights and in this respect the NH Carlton did not disappoint.
Check in was easy and we were offered an upgrade for 25 Euros per night which I accepted however the upgraded room turned out to be non-smoking so we ended up keeping our pre-booked standard smoking room and were very happy with it.
The room was spacious with a bay window housing a table and 2 chairs overlooking the street. The room was clean and the bed comfy, I agree with others regarding the decor, which is a little "tired" and could probably benefit from a refurbishment but although the furnishings were dated there were no issues with cleanliness.
The fridge in our room did not work and I reported this daily to reception with various promises made that it would be attended to, in fact 4 days later on the day of our departure it had still not been fixed. The hotel however gave us a voucher for complimentary breakfast for the morning of our departure as an apology which we happily accepted.
Breakfast was varied and pretty extensive however had we not been given the complimentary voucher I would not have paid the money wanted for this as there a multitude of places to eat all within a stones throw of the hotel.
WiFi worked in our room (if a little slow) but this was not really an issue for us as we spent very little time on the net.
Overall we found this a comfortable and conveniently located hotel and would not hesitate to return there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple