WINNER WONDERLAND

NH Carlton Amsterdam
Ranked #241 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice hotel, great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, with very elegant rooms and decor. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the location is great for getting around. Would highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marchelle2321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I,ve been staying in this hotel three or four times a year on business for four years or so now. My client in Amsterdam books it.

They pay a hefty corporate rate if €200 or so night and I have never checked in here without a problem.

They lose reservations. They always try to put you in the worst room available. I've resisted the temptation t review it as its not a hotel I would choose despite it's excellent central location. However checking in tonight I have had enough.

This evening they had lost my reservation despite it having been guaranteed with a credit card this morning.

The client had booked a superior room. I was shown to a cupboard on the third floor. On saying I was not pleased I was moved to another room.which is perfectly pleasant and roomy on the same floor, but why did I have to complain to get a decent room. Who we they saving this one for?

It seems that being a regular customer counts for nothing.

They swipe your card but I don't know why as the mini bar is empty. Internet is free in the oh but charged at a hefty rate in the rooms.

Get your act together. If you're a business hotel charging premium corporate rates then Internet should be free. It'es a deal breaker when I book a hotel myself.

I will try and advise my client to book a different hotel but it's difficult. I suppose I'll just have to go on complaining about rooms in order to get a decent one, praying that they haven't lost my reservation in the first place, and hoping against hope that being a regularly visitor starts to count for something.

There are loads of good business hotels in Amsterdam with god services, up to date decor and a warm welcome.

The NH Carlton I'm afraid isn't one of them.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank claytoncast
NH Carlton A, General Manager at NH Carlton Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to fill in a review, I'm very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't like you should expect from us. I have done some research to find out what happened with your reservation details. Please can you be so kind to contact me on my personal e-mail address so that I can explain to you and we can find a proper solution.

Best regards,

Marcel Wijnberger
General manager
m.wijnberger@nh-hotels.com

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

arrived at the hotel at 10am but could not check in til as the room was not ready. they did let us leave our bags in storage whilst we went off to have a look around. We checked back in at 3pm and was given quite a small room but very clean and modern. We asked to be moved and they kidly moved us the following day, to a much larger room with 2 balconies and a great view. They upgraded my friends room to a suite as it was his 40th.

They hotle is 20mins walk from the station or 2.50 euro on the tram. very easy to find as its a straight road down from the station walking through Dam Sq. Dam sq is 10mins walk and the flower market is right outside the hotel. The red light district is 10mins walk. Beer is 5-6 euro pint and for those that smoke is 15-20 euro per gram bag.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the front of the hotel we had 721
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaffar71
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

The NH Carlton is a large, reasonable standard chain hotel that is well located for reaching all Amsterdam`s attractions, many within walking distance. Our room was fairly small but adequate, as was the bathroom which came with complimentary shampoos and shower creams. I had asked for a room with a balcony, and was pleased to get one with a good view over the locality; this turned out to be a double edged sword as it meant we got a lot of noise from the streets below. Although not in the very heart of the entertainment area, the hotel is near to Rembrandt Square which is a lively nightclub area and we stayed a week before Christmas – although to be honest the main noise was sirens and car horns (not sure if rooms on the inside of the hotel suffer the same problem). Service was efficient, rooms and hotel generally spotless, and there is a pleasant seating area on the 1st floor. Buffet breakfast was very good; varied (with decent cooked option), as well as the customary European fare (croissants, cakes, cold meats, fruit etc) and there was plenty of tables in the spacious room. Slightly disappointing was, on returning, tired, on our first night, planning to have a quiet nightcap in the bar, only to find it closed – it was only about 11.15pm. Decided to settle for the minibar (as advertised) only to find that it is not stocked unless you pre-order (and then you have to pay for everything regardless of what you use). Other than that, no complaints – a bit pricey for an average 3-star hotel and having now seen some of the slightly cheaper independent options (our sons stayed elsewhere), would consider them next time. Overall, a safe bet - a well located average 3 star hotel offering a good breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

I stayed here 21 December, and in the run up to Christmas understandably the hotel was only half full. I paid for a superior room and would say that the small extra cost was worthwhile, in particular the bathroom was larger with two basins and a walk in closet I have stayed here twice over the last year. I would say this was 3.5 star hotel business hotel Rooms OK, pretty central, let down by cafeteria style breakfast - a real scrum (the previous time when the hotel was full), good value at a little over Euro 100 pn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NHCarltonAmsterdam, General Manager at NH Carlton Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in your review. I really appreciate your comments. Is it possible that you explain a little more about your experience at our breakfast?

You may send it to my personal e-mail address:

Kind regards,

Marcel Wijnberger
m.wijnberger@nh-hotels.com
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed here for five nights on a 2-week business trip. The location was great -- on a Tram line, an easy walk to the Metro that took me to Biljmer Arena (the stop for my company's office), and right in the middle of things. My room was at the back of the hotel -- on check in, the staff did ask for my preference -- but a little too small and "tired." There was an electric kettle to make tea and a refrigerator (nice, with an Albert Heijn just around the corner), but *very* few electric outlets. I unplugged the desk lamp to make room for my lap top, and unplugged the TV so that I could use the electric kettle. The bathroom had a hair dryer, but it came apart in my hand and the sink was extremely slow to drain. Still, it had a nice electric towel bar. I think the hotel needs some refurbishing and I probably won't stay there again if I have other comparably-priced options.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

good location, staff friendly, room clean and tidy, breakfast has a wide variety and very tasty.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends