“my 3rd stay in nh carlton!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

NH Carlton Amsterdam
Ranked #237 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“my 3rd stay in nh carlton!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

please note that all my reviews pased on deluxe room i never booked a standard room once so i have no idea about them, the hotel manager was so kind and helpfull and gave me agood offer for adeluxe room cuz this was my 3rd long stay in nh carlton i stayed 27 night in nh carlton the room was huge and clean the location is the best all the staff was friendly and helpfull and am sure next time i will stay there thanks alot for all the staff and for the hotel manager Marcel Wijnberger.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaLaL_ShaNe3a
NHCarltonAmsterdam, General Manager at NH Carlton Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear Dalal_sha,

Thank you again for staying with us, hope to meet you again soon.

regards Marcel Wijnberger
General-Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Swansea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

When we arrived there was some discussion amongst the reception staff... the room we were allocated was essentially just off the lobby, which seemed strange. It became clear to us that this room wasn't intended to be a bedroom. The bed was one that pulled down from the wall - it wasn't very comfortable. We suspect it was some sort of business meeting room that could double as a bedroom if needed. We were staying for 2 nights and so we went down to reception to see if we could change rooms. They told us they were fully booked but we could change rooms the nexrt day. The next morning we went back and asked again. The receptionist tried to tell us that it was too late to change rooms, being after 11am (they hadn't mentioned this the night before). Eventually (after pushing the point) we got given another room. The new room was absolutely fine, and if we had been given a room like that in the first place it would have been a much more enjoyable stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laura B

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed at the Carlton for one night, as part of a tour. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I figured it was good to be there for only one night. The complaints about noise had me worried enough to purchase earplugs. Then, we arrived only to find that the Dutch team had won the Futbol (soccer) final; and there was "partying" galore!! I was dreading the night. So, I was surprised and happy to see that the hotel had invested in what appears to be fairly new double pane windows. With the low hum from the fan (it didn't work like air conditioning) and the new windows, we didn't hear any noise, and slept soundly. We really enjoyed our canal cruise-all the humpback bridges, houseboats, etc.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EuropeDreamer
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is a nice hotel with pretty helpful staff. Everyone smiles and is cordial. There's a nice lobby and restaurant on lobby level as well. Late at night the front doors are locked and you have to intercom to the front desk clerk with name and room number in order to gain access. If you're inviting "late night" guest you'll need to be prepared to provide them this information or go down and let them in yourself. :-)

The hallways could use a little updating but hey, this isn't meant to be a permanent residence so it was fine. It's not dirty, it doesn't smell..it could just use some updating. I stayed in room 441. I think the air conditioner was broken so it was a bit warm a few times, but it wasn't so bad considering the fact that Amsterdam is one of the VERY few places in the world where you can function a day or so without air in mid August. I could have requested attention and I have confidence that they would have fixed the issue or moved my room but it wasn't that serious.

The room was actually spacious and modern overall (despite the older style TV) and the bathroom was spacious and updated. The soaking tub was nice. Clean room, clean bathroom, no insects, rodents, problems, hallway noises, etc.

I would say that this hotel is expensive. There's no doubt, especially for special events. Whew!! I'm sure most people would expect more for the $$ but it's still a reliable place by all means. For a hotel this expensive I think they need FREE WIFI THROUGHOUT THE HOTEL, BOTTOM LINE!! It's 10.70 Euro for 24 hours of access in the room, however you can only use that code for your laptop. It won't work for a mobile device if you want that wifi capability as well. They offer free (easy, fast) wifi in 30 minute blocks in the lobby and they are very generous with those access codes, however it can be a pain to go to the lobby to connect your handheld device/phone, etc. to wifi each time. It's 2011 AND WIFI SHOULD BE FREE, FREE, FREE....in every hotel, especially one that's over 200 Euro/night.

Good hotel choice. Walk to tram stop (a few blocks), grocery store, various restaurants, bars, pubs, etc. I'd stay here again without a doubt, but I'd beg for a better price too!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

my wife and i have just spent 2 nights at this hotel,though we didnt eat there,everything else was superb,we got an upgranded room,as our wasnt ready,all the staff were great,from desk to cleaners,always had a smile,and would help at every chance if needed,we will def return

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Typically Priceline doesn't let me down, but I felt a little underwhelmed when I requested a 4-star hotel in Amsterdam for three nights and ended up with the NH Carlton. I live by TripAdvisor ratings and the ratings weren't stellar for this hotel. I see why.

It's not that it's a terrible place, it's just not 4-star quality. I've stayed in several other 4-star hotels in Amsterdam and this place was 3 at best. Bed was rock hard, room was hot and air conditioning ran all night but barely cooled the room. Shower curtain barely hung low enough to keep water off the floor of the bathroom. Bed linens and pillowcases had faint stains on them. Overall the room felt very drab and dated.

I wouldn't be too excited about staying here again, although I would if push came to shove. When you use Priceline as much as I do, sometimes you run into the occasional underwhelming hotel - and this was it for me on this particular business trip.

At least the location was pretty good, just a short walk to the nearest tram stop (Keizersgracht‎, the 4, 16, 24, and 25 run here). Don't miss the fantastic Spanish restaurant nearby the hotel. Walk out the front door, cross Vijzelstraat, and go straight down the adjacent alleyway (Reguliersdwarsstraat). The restaurant is called Castillo and the tapas are out of this world. Best meal I'd had in Amsterdam to that point.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank acegt1
Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I've been to the NH hotels before and there are NH Hotels and NH hotels... To be on the safe side, make sure you always check the reviews.
The location is great! But my exuberance ends there.
It is a rather expensive but average hotel. The breakfast is charged 20 EUR extra. I was familiar with the rate and it was OK, but if you are not in a rush, I would suggest eating similar food at more decent prices in one of the nearby restaurants.
The room I was in was on the top floor and in a serious need of refurbishment. The bed linen was clean, so were the towels, but the carpet has definitely seen better days. Decades ago. It all looked a bit shabby; the curtains, carpet, little yellow chair in the corner, improvised shower cabin in the bathroom...
The staff at the reception desk was very kind and helpful.
Overall, I'd advise you to browse a bit more. Amsterdam is an expensive city, but I am sure you can get more for the price that you'd pay at NH Carlton.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business