“stayed here twice in 2 years for 4 nights each time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Amsterdam

Hilton Amsterdam
Ranked #42 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Diego, California
“stayed here twice in 2 years for 4 nights each time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I am a Hilton Honners gold card member, used points both stays, upgraded free of charge both times to the wonderful executive floors/lounge, and consider this hotel to be the program's best delux value in Europe for points . For others it is lovely place for a room with included breakfast. The hotel does not hold back on the complimentary upgrade unless full in our experience. The breakfast included w/your room is all that you see out and so much more: any barista drink at your table or at the adjoining bar if it is crowded and you wait for a table (only happened once in a total of 8 ), special juice-try carrot w/orange, the friendly chef who is out and about will make you eggs/omelet to order. Be sure to try the little Belgium waffles w/ that marvelous caramelized baked edge. If you are more into view and less into breakfast and have been upgraded take it roof top(2yrs.ago this was available and think it still is), but much less choice available, but also includes barista/open courtesy bar.
Rooms are quiet, comfortable beds, nice decor,average size, tub/shower,complementary water and ,coffee/tea, free WiFi. Beware the tub is high and deep and as a tall senior woman w/arthritis used it w/caution holding on to the nearby sink sink getting in and out. The best: they have a pillow menu and will get you what you need. The front desk, and the young bellman that sometimes works the concierge desk, the wonderful waitress from Italy in Roberto's where breakfast is served, the lounge hostesses, the welcome each day all make for a wonderful stay.

I love the views, the lovely safe very upscale neighborhood on the canal to walk (free bikes and umbrellas). We really enjoy the friendly hotel college interns that staff the lounge, and the fact you can talk to them and learn about their country when they are not busy. We like the quantity and selection of good hot and cold food/drink items available plus the nightly served or help yourself to anything you want to alcoholic or not. I don't think the nightly party is on the weekend. Nice place to go to eat, drink, check email, visit with other guests.

We buy the tram pass pass at the airport, and from the Hilton there are stops in each direction a few blocks away that will get you anywhere you want to go quickly and safely. Buy a transfer to the airport for a reasonable 35 euros I believe, from the Hilton concierge- great big cabs w/vetted Dutch drivers. From the airport take only the official Dutch taxi or the shuttle buses, the latter is cheaper but cramped and will not take you if you have more than one suitcase per person as we did when I made inquiry.

Room Tip: Always include breakfast, try and get upgraded to concierge aka executive lounge,and canal view best...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Linda O,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are delighted to read that our services and facilities met your approval especially the location of Hilton Amsterdam, the Executive Lounge and our Roberto’s restaurant breakfast offerings. Thank you for your compliments and we are very pleased that you had such a wonderful stay with us.

Thank you for your kind words towards our staff, with pleasure I will share all your positive comments to them. Our team takes great pride in service delivery and I am sure they will very much appreciate it.

Our Executive Lounge is a perfect place to work and relax providing a breathtaking 360o view to the Amsterdam city and also offers private check-in and check-out services as well as drinks and hot and cold snacks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All HHonours Gold and Diamond members are entitled to free access to the Executive Lounge, bicycles (upon availability) as well as complimentary in-room internet.

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Amsterdam and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Roberto Payer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very good location..close to public travel modes...quiet and away from city centre to allow for both quiet private relaxation and serious business meetings. Choice of meals at breakfast is good to get you going to early business meeting or a day trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear TL,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are happy to read that our services and facilities met your approval especially the location of the Hilton Amsterdam and our breakfast offerings.

Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night as a stopover on our way back to UK from Portugal. We chose it over Hilton Schipol airport hotel only because the rooms are bigger and it is is more central for the city. We also liked the quieter, more residential tree lined street.
We stayed in a lovely room with great views of the canal & the old houses nearby with views towards the city in the distance.
Our room was comfortable, quite spacious for a city hotel, with a soft bed and plenty of comfy pillows ( a must for me !). Kettle & coffee was nice touch for early morning coffee when we got up.
Super clean bathroom and fluffy towels as expected.
Super food and good choice of wines in the evening.
The bar area was busy but not loud, nautical style decor a bit twee for my liking but fitted the theme of the bar. All the staff we spoke to were helpful and attentive.

Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of different foods to suit most appetites. Good choice of hot food and plenty of fruit, yogurts and breakfast pastries, croissants etc. All fresh and tasty.
Coffee and fruit juice offered at the table by the friendly waitress, so much nicer than self service.

We managed to negotiate the tram system into the city, despite diversions on the line due to rail repairs, thanks to a helpful Dutch student who gave us directions from a map on his phone!
We didn't have much time but managed to squeeze in a trip to the Rijksmuseum - not to be missed.
Overall we enjoyed our brief stay and would happily return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor have better views across the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Wilnstoncat1,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed staying with us and that our services and facilities fully met your approval especially your room overlooking the canal, our award winning Roberto’s Restaurant and the breakfast offerings.

We thank you for your kind words towards our staff as well, with pleasure I will share all your positive comments to the team, especially the breakfast team.

Our breakfast is served every morning in our award winning restaurant Roberto’s from 7.00 – 10.30 on weekdays and 7.00 – 11.00 on weekends. The buffet includes an extensive selection of hot and cold items with local, regional and international options. Dinner is served every day from 18:00 till 22:30 and offers you a classic but modern and inspirational Italian cuisine using the highest quality products as well as wines from Italy.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Peaceful location on the banks of a canal. Far enough out of the city to avoid the hustle and bustle, but an easy bike or tram trip into the city centre. Helpful and friendly staff made us feel welcome from the second we walked in the door to our departure. Spacious and comfortable room. Enjoyed drinks and a casual meal on the terrace but didn't try the restaurant. Breakfasts adequate and efficient rather than inspiring.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that our facilities and services met your approval especially the location of Hilton Amsterdam.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team members, the whole team takes great pride in service delivery and we will gladly share your compliments with them.

We are also glad you enjoyer our Garden Terrace with it’s wonderful view to the Noorder Amstel canal. It is the ideal place to quietly relax, have a business meeting or a reunion with a friend, an extensive appetizer and beverage menu ensures that there is something for everyone.

Hoover
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was very undecided as to where to stay in Amsterdam in early July - it would be my first visit and I was choosing between the Marriott, Renaissance and Doubletree because I had enough points to stay for free. The reviews seemed similar, but when the Hilton had a room for 63,500 points per night, I decided to give it a try.

To put it simply: A GREAT DECISION. This is a property you want to stay at, especially if you are a Diamond or Gold member of the Hilton Honors Program. The executive lounge has a wonderful staff. The free breakfast up there has everything from American-style snack-pack cereals to very Dutch cold cuts and smoked fish, with all of the breakfast breads, fresh fruit, yogurt and fresh-squeezed juices (the grapefruit and orange were excellent) that are rarer and rarer these days.

When I arrived at the property, the front desk clerk who assisted me (Stefan) was friendly and spoke excellent English (in fact, I found that just about every resident I met, other than the Arab immigrants, spoke good or better English). He said he was delighted to tell me that my room was ready (it was about 12:15 p.m., and I had indicated that I was expecting to arrive at noon) and that I had been upgraded to a king with a canal view on the executive floor.

He told me a lot about the hotel, a bit about the neighborhood (very residential, and the hotel sits next to one of the famous canals) and things to do. Stefan also said that I had my choice each day of eating in the Executive Lounge or the Restaurant Breakfast Buffet - both are free for Golds and Diamonds. The conversation was great and made me feel very welcome.

The room was perhaps a bit smaller than typical king-rooms in the USA, but the bed was GREAT, the bathroom amenities were upscale, the flat-screen tv worked fine (with a mix of American, British, French and Dutch channels), the in-room wireless and wired internet were very good, the lighting was great - in short, just what you expect. There were plenty of towels, and the extra pillows I requested were already there, along with two large complimentary bottles of water, one of which was what I call "seltzer" (carbonated).

The concierges were outstanding. The first one I spoke with recommended an evening canal tour with the Blue Canal Tour Company (BCTC), and suggested that I walk there, taking a slight detour through a local park (adds maybe two minutes to the walk). The walk took less than 15 minutes and gave me a feel for the neighborhood. The folks at the BCTC were terrific as well - the captain was friendly and the server even more so. The tour is worth every penny - the hotel has a 10% discount coupon, so be sure to get one - and its 90 minutes that are well spent!

They were also perfect when it came to directions, consistently recommended walking and using the trams rather than wasting money on taxis (which are expensive), knew the right reasonably-priced restaurants and did not hesitate to look something up on the internet or make a phone call when they were not 100% certain about something.

By the way, if you can purchase the National Museum Pass (54 Euros) it is a great investment because you not only get into just about every museum for free, but you avoid the lines. Most of the Museums cost 15 Euros, so visiting three of them and avoiding the lines makes it a very good deal. You can buy it at most of the major museums.

The neighborhood in which the hotel is located is middle class and very clean. There are plenty of shops and restaurants, including the Dutch version of a supermarket (smaller than what we are used to in the USA, but with plenty of variety). The trams stop within two-four blocks of the hotel, depending upon which line you want. You are within walking distance of the Museum Area (Riks Museum - Dutch Masters, including Rembrandt; Van Gogh Museum; and the Museum of Modern Art) and the Concert Hall.

I loved the neighborhood location because you get to mingle with the local folks, who are among the friendliest people I've ever met in my international travels. Houses of worship are also within a few blocks - there are even three synagogues there (two orthodox and one reform), plus several different churches.

Getting to the hotel is not hard - take the train from the airport to the Amsterdam South Station and then use the tram to get to the hotel area. From the tram stop, its about a four block walk. If you have a lot of luggage, you could opt for a taxi from the South Station, but the trams are easy and the walk is great. (Another option is to take the #179 bus from the Airport to the Emmenstraat stop - but you'll need a nice bus driver who will stop there because technically they're supposed to go a few more blocks before stopping. If you can get this worked out, you are two blocks from the hotel.)

I did experience some minor issues:

1) The power went out for most of the outlets in the room. It was caused by a defective electricity converter. The engineering staff was quick to get things turned back on and the front desk immediately replaced the converter - there is no charge for converters at this hotel, which is very helpful to Americans.

2) The toilet kept running, wasting a tremendous amount of water. The engineering staff was unable to fix it, so I just closed the bathroom door at night and it was not an issue. The staff repeatedly offered to move me to another similar room, but I did not feel it was necessary unless they were going to shut the water off in that room, completely - something they said they could not do.

3) A small bottle of Coca Cola was $7.50 US in the hotel bar - that is the most I have ever paid for something like that, and I told the management that I thought it was outrageous. I've never paid that in NY, LA or Paris. Granted, it did come with free salty snacks, so perhaps not quite as outrageous I suppose.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. I have never filled out so many "Catch Me At My Best" cards at one property as I did at this one. As long as you don't mind the walk and extensive use of the trams system, this is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the canal view side - chances are you'll get it, especially if you are an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Nathan S,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are delighted to read that our services and facilities met your approval especially the location of Hilton Amsterdam, the Executive Lounge and our rooms. Thank you for your compliments and we are very pleased that you had such a wonderful stay with us.

Thank you for your kind words towards our staff as well, with pleasure I will share all your positive comments to the team especially to the Concierge, Front Office and Executive Lounge teams. Our team takes great pride in service delivery and I am sure they will very much appreciate it.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the technical problem in your room during your stay. We will share your comments with the team to ensure this not happening in the future.

Our Executive Lounge is a perfect place to work and relax providing a breathtaking 360o view to the Amsterdam city and also offers private check-in and check-out services as well as drinks and hot and cold snacks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All HHonours Gold and Diamond members are entitled to free access to the Executive Lounge as well as complimentary in-room internet.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

A bit out of the city but a great hotel with massive beds
The rooftop breakfast area amazing loved our stay.
You will not find a comphy bed like this in any other Amsterdam hotel it's also the place that John Lennon and yoko had the famous love in and they still have the bed should you want to sleep in the same bed

Only worry is 30 euro taxi ride into town

• Stayed August 2012
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear BangkokBill786,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam.

We are glad to read that our services and facilities met your approval especially our bedding and the Executive Lounge. Thank you for your compliments and we are very pleased that you had such a wonderful stay with us.

Regarding the expensive taxi drive to the old city centre, please note that you can also conveniently take tram 16 which stops just couple of minutes walk away from Hilton Amsterdam.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here for two nights to attend a conference. It is not in the city centre although walkable from Amsterdam South railway station and close to good public transport. I am a Hilton Honours member and frequently stay in Hilton Hotels but this was less good than most. The rooms were smaller and decorated with brown wallpaper which was rather gloomy. The breakfasts were good but expensive. There was, however, (I think the conference organisers had done a deal). I wouldn't stay there again, I would pay the extra to be in the city centre

Room Tip: I didn't get a good room so can't advise here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Barbara 707_12,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

All our guest feedback is of true importance to us as it allows us to constantly improve the level of service we offer to all our guests.

We regret to read that your room did not fully meet your approval. Your comments will be shared for future development.

Thank you for your compliments towards our breakfast offerings. Our breakfast is served every morning in our award winning restaurant Roberto’s from 7.00 – 10.30 on weekdays and 7.00 – 11.00 on weekends. The buffet includes an extensive selection of hot and cold items with local, regional and international options.

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Amsterdam and hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.