“A word of advice”

Budget Hotel Tourist Inn
Ranked #13 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights in room 44. First off, what is good about this hotel is its location and friendly service. It's 5-10 mins walk from central station and easy to locate. Breakfast was simple affair but good. Every person manning the front desk were friendly and helpful.

Now the bad, my room had a separate toilet. This would not have been a big problem except I was not informed of it when I made the online booking. It was a slight inconvenience for my wife. The worst part is the walls were paper thin and everytime my neighbours closed the doors or talked, the noise woke both of us up. It was an absolute nightmare when the floor was booked by a group of friends who spent the night and returned at 3am with much pomp and fanfare. I had a chat with one of them but the situation didn't improve much. They weren't being particularly insensitive, there were just too many flimsy partition walls on this floors so sound-proofing was non-existent.

So do consider whether you would like to stay in this hotel. If you are intending to spend most of the night out on the streets by all means go with this hotel. Avoid the 4th floor or this hotel at all if sleep is important to you.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Daveze

Reviewed May 26, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jack D
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

The room is not clean enough, lots of dust on the floor, i stayed two nights and feels like my lung gets sick...
When they do the clean, the whole hostel smells so bad, my lung suffered again.
But the location is great, and btw the guy on reception is kinda hot, so..... 3 stars , could not be more.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

It is excellent for the location but expensive for a budget hotel. The staff are helpful. However ther is much to want in this hotel. It is a happy joint because most of the guests are young people. If you want a quiet hotel thisis definitely not for you. The many alleyways leading to dorm type beds could be a fire hazard. The toilets have a smell of spolied urine. The beds are not kept clean. You have to bring your valuables with you because the hotel didnt give an impression that it is safe to leave it there. If I had more money I wouldnt come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Dont choose a room near the street because its always noisy. If you have more money to spare dont st...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I enjoyed a lot this place. I stayed only 3 nights because it was full the other 3 days, so I had to check another place to stay. In this hotel you can only count with the basic things, don't expect nothing more than that! But considering hat you're in Amsterdam, it can be a very good option, specially if you just want to sleep, meet some people and enjoy the environment.
First day I stayed in a four bedroom and I was lucky with the other people who stay in the same room. I was not so lucky in the second day!

Anyway, there are individual rooms (that's really good) and twin rooms... if you book in advance you can get a good room and more private in a very nice hotel.
The staff is very helpfull, the breakfast was really good (considering the price we are paying), everything was in general clean, the bathrooms are a little small but look nice and the decoration of the hotel is very cosy... I think I can say that it's a modern styule, you will enjoy it!

good thins:
- location (very near the center and district light)
- price and comfort
- environment (young and respectful)

bad:
- very small bathrooms

Room Tip: Try to book a single room or twin.. In some cases you can have your own bathroom, which is very good...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank InesPontes
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been travelling now for over 3 years and never had such a bad hostel experience !

We returned to the hostel after a day out to find all are belongings gone. Our lockers (which had been locked) where wide open and new random people on our beds. When we went to reception it was explained to us that they had decided to give the room to someone else. The staff had gone though all our personal belongings (cash, credit cards, passports, dirty underwear etc) and packed our bags for us. They failed to tell us in the morning that we needed to move to another room, never bothered calling or emailing and no note on the door to see reception so we wouldn’t freak out. Just all our belongings dumped in plastic bags at reception.

The situation was made a 100 times worse by staff. This was honestly some of their responses –

“oh didn’t you realise all the hostel’s in Amsterdam are bad”

“I don’t really care I only work here 9-5”

“no I won’t pass on your complaint it’s not my job”

“I would have called but most traveller’s don’t carry a phone so I didn’t bother, Oh maybe I did- must of dialled the wrong number”

“no u can’t speak to a manager”

On top of this the rooms were small, bathrooms dirty, and lots of street noise. The bathrooms were also dirty.

Terrible place that doesn't deserve you money

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

i love this place. cheap, chearful and cental. shower could have had a wee bit of a extra clean n the bedding not to my royal standard but enjoyed myself to much to care. staff are lovely and helpful. thought breakfast would be more but still nice

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends