“Simple but really great - and amazing wine”
Review of Restaurant Vlaming

Restaurant Vlaming
Ranked #27 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Description: A family owned bistro where we serve nice dishes with a good quality - price relation in a friendly atmosphere. We serve here the "worldfamous" (anyway in Amsterdam) Sticky Toffee Pie and home-made Limoncello.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

really amazing hands on service - genuine homecooked food and super menu. superb amsterdam style of dining - small restaurant great ambience etc etc..... there are 2 x locations we ate in the second smaller one, large groups should go to the other one.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Charming staff, simple high quality well-cooked grub, fair prices. This small neighbourhood restaurant does a great job. It's not haute cuisine but it's very enjoyable cuisine.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Having been before in February we came again having once again booked in advance. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. The "bites" shared starter was really good and our friends who weren't having starters were given a sample of the soup to taste. They really enjoyed it as did we along with rest of the "bites". Three of us had the Angus steak and one had the burger royale and again we weren't disappointed. The sticky toffee pudding rounded off a really nice meal. We had the house wine which was nice and good value. Having been here twice now I can really recommend it for good food, good wine, value for money and very good, friendly staff who made us feel like good friends rather than just another four customers. You need to try it.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This meal overall was really good although one waitress was pretty bad at her job and took the edge off the evening.

For starters my partner had the Meat platter which was a collection of sausage, pâté and salami. It should have been served with a small dish of relish/pickle but the dodgy waitress managed to drop this while serving the plate, spilling it all over the floor.

For starters I had the trio of fish which was a mackerel pâté, gravadlax, and salmon tartare. It was delicious and very fresh.

For my main course I had the special fish dish of the day which was Salmon filet with small potatoes, sugar snap and French beans

My partner opted for the pork rack main course. But again the dodgy waitress brought duck instead. This caused a bit of confusion but she realised her mistake and the correct meal was quickly brought to the table.

We shared the famous sticky toffee pie which was served with roasted almonds. I would recommend sharing this dish unless you are still hungry as it was a very big portion.

The bill in total came to €106 which included a bottle of wine for €27. We didn't leave a tip given the spillage at the start, the mix up with the main course and the generally poor service overall. However I would emphasise that apart from these service-related issues the food was delicious, flavoursome and well worth it.

I would definitely book a table as people were being turned away throughout our meal and it was very busy.

Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write this review. When I see the dishes you mention than I have to tell you that I think you didn't visit "Vlaming eten & drinken" but our other restaurant.
You did not fill in the date of your visit, so unfortunately I can not check who served you that night. But indeed since a short while we have some young girls to help us out during busy nights and we train them to become good waitresses: and yes then sometimes things can go wrong.....I suppose you got a new plate.
I'm happy that you enjoyed your dinner anyway and hope you come back some other time and that you will notice that the waitress improved quite a lot :o))
Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This place is quite small but very popular, so book ahead if you can - it is worth it. The food is relatively simple but very well cooked and very tasty. The service is helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is relaxed and laid- back. The servings are plentiful and you won't leave hungry, but if you can, leave room for the sticky-toffee cos its delicious.