“Good food, dodgy waitress” 4 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Vlaming
Ranked #25 of 3,722 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Description: A family owned bistro where we serve nice dishes with a good quality - price relation in a friendly atmosphere. Like in "brasserie Vlaming" we serve here also the "worldfamous" (anyway in Amsterdam) Sticky Toffee Pie and home-made Limoncello.
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, dodgy waitress”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This meal overall was really good although one waitress was pretty bad at her job and took the edge off the evening.

For starters my partner had the Meat platter which was a collection of sausage, pâté and salami. It should have been served with a small dish of relish/pickle but the dodgy waitress managed to drop this while serving the plate, spilling it all over the floor.

For starters I had the trio of fish which was a mackerel pâté, gravadlax, and salmon tartare. It was delicious and very fresh.

For my main course I had the special fish dish of the day which was Salmon filet with small potatoes, sugar snap and French beans

My partner opted for the pork rack main course. But again the dodgy waitress brought duck instead. This caused a bit of confusion but she realised her mistake and the correct meal was quickly brought to the table.

We shared the famous sticky toffee pie which was served with roasted almonds. I would recommend sharing this dish unless you are still hungry as it was a very big portion.

The bill in total came to €106 which included a bottle of wine for €27. We didn't leave a tip given the spillage at the start, the mix up with the main course and the generally poor service overall. However I would emphasise that apart from these service-related issues the food was delicious, flavoursome and well worth it.

I would definitely book a table as people were being turned away throughout our meal and it was very busy.

Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write this review. When I see the dishes you mention than I have to tell you that I think you didn't visit "Vlaming eten & drinken" but our other restaurant.
You did not fill in the date of your visit, so unfortunately I can not check who served you that night. But indeed since a short while we have some young girls to help us out during busy nights and we train them to become good waitresses: and yes then sometimes things can go wrong.....I suppose you got a new plate.
I'm happy that you enjoyed your dinner anyway and hope you come back some other time and that you will notice that the waitress improved quite a lot :o))
Best regards, Frans Vlaming

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Simple food done well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

This place is quite small but very popular, so book ahead if you can - it is worth it. The food is relatively simple but very well cooked and very tasty. The service is helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is relaxed and laid- back. The servings are plentiful and you won't leave hungry, but if you can, leave room for the sticky-toffee cos its delicious.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
preston
“A really great treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked for a meal here by e mail in advance and it is obviously a very busy and popular venue. Quite a small place and located a little out from the centre. People were waiting at the bar for tables. Lovely and friendly service, excellent food and a limited choice of dishes ensured that all was really fresh. Goats cheese roll was a good choice. The shared platter looked good (like an afternoon tea served on a 3 tier stand). I had the veg risotto (sublime) and my fellow guest had a delicious angus steak. I tried the home made limoncello liqueur and the sticky toffee was good too. The side dishes big and good value. It's not cheap to dine here, certainly not expensive in Amsterdam standards but well worth every Euro. Thanks for a good night.

Visited November 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A fine place to dine in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I made a reservation based on TA reviews weeks before I left the U.S. and it was well worth it. The host who I assume is one of the owners is a gregarious very friendly fellow who speaks perfect English. My wife had what I believe was a special of the day which was a seared Tuna. I had the Black Angus steak with a blue cheese sauce. Both were excellent. The house wines were good and reasonably priced. For dessert, it was the first time we had what I assume is an Amsterdam/Netherlands specialty: Sticky Toffee Pie. What a great dessert for someone with a “sweet tooth”, which we both have. My only minor complaint was that our server was sort of a shy young lady who didn’t check in with us on a regular basis for more wine or coffee. Several times we had to wave her over, even though we were eating early and the restaurant wasn’t crowded. But I’m sure she’ll get better and I would return to this restaurant in a second the next time we’re in Amsterdam.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
go2sands
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Did not book so expected to be let down, but they allowed us to sit at the bar (which suited us fine). Really well looked after and meal was superb, could not have asked for more. Only a small place but big welcome.

• Visited November 2013