“Perfect for young couples.”
Review of Hotel The Exchange

Hotel The Exchange
Ranked #110 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Perfect for young couples.”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is in a great location with friendly and helpful staff. We came here for a long weekend as a couple, the bed in our four star room was really comfy and the décor was pretty cool. There was a fan in case you got too hot and although the other reviews are correct in saying there is no shower curtain, we did not find it a problem.

Good points: You are able to drop your bags off when you first arrive, free wifi, in room safe that you can enter your own number into, room service will still leave you fresh towels even if you have a 'do not disturb' sign, there is a touch screen computer in the wall near the lifts which is free and very helpful if you want to quickly look at a map of the city or google a particular place.

We would definitely consider coming back here again :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel is in Damrak, just a short walk from Dam square, the Red lights district and the railway station - a very good "home base" to explore the city.
I stayed in one of the cheaper rooms; the pictures on their website apparently feature more expensive ones, so I was a bit disappointed by the somewhat depressive grey and mint green walls of my room that looked more like the result of art therapy than inventive design. The room is on the second floor; one window faces the wall of the building next door and another opens on the roof, so it was a bit dark; also, there is no ceiling light - just two small lamps on the sides of the bed and another by the door.
I liked the overall design of the hotel with its maze of stairs and creatively furnished common areas.
Breakfast is not included; there is a cafe in a hotel which is not bad but a little expensive and slow, and a couple places on the way from the hotel to Dam where you can get your morning coffee and a snack for a lower price.
The staff is friendly and helpful; no problems with cleanliness either.
On the whole, I believe the stay in this hotel can be an exciting experience if you get along with your room design.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel in the train on our way to Amsterdam. It's a three minute walk from the train station. It's in a artsy hotel in a great location!

The room we are in is _very_ small but it is clean and simple. There is no fridge and no coffee (but that is maybe because we booked a 3 star room, I don't know how the other rooms are). Lots of art on the walls.

We have a baby and we were able to have a crib put into our room.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

There is free wifi.

There are lots of good places to eat nearby.

• Stayed September 2013
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was lucky to stay in this hotel twice - in January and in September. I really like this hotel and I can say without any doubts that this hotel is the best option to stay in Amsterdam for everybody. First of all, the location is so perfect that you can easily get there by train straight from the Schiphol Airport. You can freely explore Amsterdam because the location is really lucky. My partner made an excellent choice - a spacious 5 Star room with a massive bed and balcony with a beautiful view of Amsterdam. Everything was perfectly clean, tidy and comfortable. Moreover our room had a very modern extraordinary design which surprised me a lot. Free Wi-Fi in our room was also very important. Of course we enjoyed staying on the 6th floor, the only disadvantage was the sun that was shining very brightly in the early morning. Although this hotel was situated on the main street, it wasn't noisy during nights.
The hotel staff was always very friendly, helpful and polite. After we checked out they allowed us to leave our baggage for storage and we managed to have one more walk around Amsterdam.
In overall I had a very nice experience with this hotel and I would be glad to stay there again and again. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Portici, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I loved my stay at The Exchange... I stayed in an one star room for 9 nights. It was very comfortable and clean. Hotel staff was very friendly and kind. They also printed my flight boarding pass. The hotel is very close to the railway station and to the main city attractions. I was very satisfied. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013
California
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night. For almost $300 I really was hoping for a lot more. The entrance looks like it has rooms by the hour. They were supposed to have a room with 2 beds but none were available. The room had construction like fabric on the walls. I guess this was part of their boutique hotel feel. It made the room dark and somber. The shower was not separated from the toilet. In fact you could sit on the commode, shower and use the sink at the same time. But the worst part was the day manager who refused to try and improve our stay after not having the correct room available.

• Stayed September 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a professional congress. This "concept" hotel suppose to have rooms graded as 2-5 stars, however, its entrance, the lobby, the elevator, and the 3 stars room which I was unfortunate to occupy through the convention center housing office does not deserve any star at all (noisy, hot, far from being clean). Different people of the staff provided contradicting information about the hotel policies. The hotel's coffee shop did not have soap in it's bathroom, and were surprised when I commented on that. Better to stay away from this hotel. Dr. M.Moriel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business