1,358 results
All reviewsstar roomdam squaregreat locationthe cafe downstairsdamrak streetcentral stationwet roomthe red light districtquirky hotelthree starvending machinefresh towelsamsterdam centraalcomfy bedrooms are smallhairdryerluggage
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that my wife and I have stayed in many small hotel rooms all over Europe. Also, having seen previous reviews of this hotel, my wife and I were prepared for a quirky experience at The Exchange. What we got was more than we expected.

The good
Excellent location close to train station, canal boats, tram, restaurants and bars
Comfortable king size bed and pillows
The bathroom is a wet room (no shower enclosure), but it is modern with a good wash basin, toilet and shower.
Flat panel TV
Friendly staff
Not a cookie-cutter North American style hotel
Lots of character

The bad
My first impression upon entering room 201 was claustrophobic. It seemed like a heavily upholstered closet. All of the walls and window space are covered in the same thick brocade upholstery. Reading the information booklet, we learned it is called "The Mattress Room".
The room is about 7 ft wide by 12 ft long, not including the bathroom. We have stayed in hotel rooms not much larger than this, but room 201 is too small for a king size bed. One side of the bed is 6" from the window wall and the foot of the bed is also 6" from the adjacent wall. I had to climb over my wife to get in and out of bed.
To make things worse, there is no storage except for a coat rack. A small table and two wooden chairs take up the remaining wall space beside the bed. A folding side table beside the foot of the bed completed the furnishings. Our two small suitcases, sport bag and two day packs left a path roughly 3 ft by 6 ft between the bed and the bathroom. At least there was nowhere to lose any of our belongings! The decorator definitely put decor above functionality.
Our room is in the center of the building. The tilt out window opens six inches onto a small "courtyard" perhaps 7 ft square. We look across at a brick wall; windows on either side look in on us if we open the drapes more than 6". We can't see the sky and the window offers no air movement to make up for the lack of air conditioning. The room was warm enough and the comforter heavy enough that we had to sleep with no covers.
Contrary to our expectation and what is stated in the information booklet in the room, there is no safe in the room.
The only public space in the hotel is an L-shaped cushioned seating/reclining area wrapping around the elevator. There is no lobby and no restaurant, although the associated cafe next to the narrow hotel entrance has tasty fare. Breakfast is not included in the price of your room, though.

The verdict
This is a well-located hotel with a comfortable bed and well-appointed bathroom (if you can cope with no separate shower enclosure). Unfortunately, because of the price (€200 / night) for what we got, I can't recommend Hotel The Exchange.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hotel location is excellent.

Room so small that door could not fully open because it opened into the bed. No safe or fan in room. Frilly material all over walls in orange was my room's decor. Room and en suite spotlessly clean.

Staff friendly when coming in and out of the hotel,however, it is a shame that the way the hotel chooses to communicate with you is by freezing your key card so you have to go back down to reception to see what the problem is.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My room was a 3* one with 2 windows opening to a brick wall and the roof of another building. It was like a dorm room with a double bed, an IKEA-like rack for hanging about 6 items of clothing and blue carpet on the walls and ceiling. There was a separate room for the bathroom and one for the sink and shower. Mind you, the shower/sink is a wet bath, every where gets wet and it smelled a bit like sweat. I had to pay in advance, which I found was odd, as every other hotel I stayed at, I paid at the end of my stay. If you're looking for a place to crash, this hotel is ok, but if you're planning on staying longer or if you have a lot of luggage, look somewhere else. My 3* room would be too small for two people. It was even too small for one person. There was no central lighting, just a light above the landing at the entrance and 2 bedside lamps. A bit dim.

This hotel is not like a traditional hotel with lobby, or business centre. It's possible to even miss the entrance to this hotel as you just see a door. It is tucked away between the Stock restaurant and a halal restaurant. A narrow hallway leads to the reception in cubicle. The surroundings of the main entrance was a bit crowded, as there were tables and chairs outside, so you sort of have to navigate through whatever space is left.

My room had stairs leading to the door, then stairs leading to the bedroom. So if you have a lot of luggage, even the wheeled luggage won't help you out. On the upside, my room was quiet and clean and I even had a change of towels even though I did not request my room to be cleaned. The location is a plus, as it is a few steps away from Central Station and on the same street as the tram line, it is in the heart of all the tourist attractions.

Yes there was not storage, no closet, no desk or chair (I put my laptop on the bed). And no A/C, just a fan. The website doesn't really reveal much in a way of amenities--check tripadvisor or expedia.

For the same price, it's possible to find a room at a 'traditional' type hotel offering more: a regular bathroom, storage, business centre, table, chairs, mini-fridge, kettle, coffee maker, AC. For my next stay in Amsterdam, I would book somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Hotel The Exchange is closer to a hostel than a hotel.

It is very well-situated -- just a 5-minute walk from the train station -- and reasonably priced.

But the rooms are weird, uncomfortable, and not suited for someone with a suitcase. I paid 50 Euros for early check-in but the 4 rooms they showed me were all drenched in broad daylight. What hotel doesn't have curtains or blinds?

The hotel bills wants to see itself as a designer boutique but the decor is cheap, flimsy and feels very thrown together. There are no amenities whatsoever.

Room Tip: You must ask for a room at the back if you want to sleep at all. It won't be quiet, just not as noisy as the front rooms. Early check-in is 50 Euros and not worth the price because you won't get any sleep. It's too loud and the rooms don't have curtains or blinds to block out sun.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com