“Great for short stays - centrally located hotel,”
Review of Hotel The Exchange

Hotel The Exchange
Ranked #120 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 19, 2012

5 minutes walk from central station this modern hotel has different classes of rooms. We went for a 2 star room, which is simply furnished, all in white. Bathroom very new and great (although shower not powerful). Storage in the room is 3 hangers and hooks on the wall, and a safe, so if you don't like living out a case its not for you. The bed was comfortable, the room quiet despite its location so would recommend this hotel if you want somewhere central to explore amsterdam.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for just one night on my way through Amsterdam. The hotel had 5 categories of rooms that they called 1 star through to 5 star rooms. I booked myself into a 3 star room. The location worked perfectly for me as it was so central and was easy walking distance from the central train station. My room was very clean with a funky and cool design offering all the facilities that I needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This is a trendy and quirky small hotel that I can highly recommend.

Room Tip: Book 3 star room or higher. 1 and 2 star rooms are small.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

It was a great stay in Amsterdam at this hotel.The only thing that was missing was a big mirror. The room was shockingly small, but it was enough because we use it just to sleep. Everything was white and clean, the bed was huge and comfortable, the room was well lighted.The entrance however was hard to find due to its narrowness. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room is very small... perhaps 12 sq.m.
no air condition
no mini bar
No lobby or place where you can sit and relax...
there is a cafe attached to the hotel (use different entrance) but only accept card... no cash...

It's such a shame because the hotel has got a lot of potential... but for the size... it's make me feel like being in the backpacker (if you have large suitcase, I don't think you can fit your suitcase in the room)

Location: 5min walk from the main station... plenty of restaurant and shops

Overall: I know for some people size doesn't matter... but for this hotel... perhaps you can less somewhere else to get a much better room similar location... or pay a bit more to get a larger room near the canal.... this room is wayyyy too small for 2 adults... (image you can't walk around the bed...no room)
The picture showing on the website are way too good to be true....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank piya-namwan
Reviewed July 13, 2012

centrally located hotel- simple to find only 2 mins walk from Central station-did walk past first bbut that was our own fault small enterance- heard absolutely no noise at night although room was in back of hotel and as requested fan was provided so did not notice lack of air conditioning only critism would be that it would have been nice to have a cup of coffee available in the room but apart from that could not fault this hotel

Room Tip: ask for a room away from Damark street one to the back of the hotel and ask for a fan to be provided...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had a 20 hour layover in Schiphol and wanted to stay in the heart of the city to maximize time to see Amsterdam, so chose Hotel the Exchange. The location was perfect, and despite having a room on the first floor facing Damrak my room was very quiet, which was great. I enjoyed the quirkiness of the room design, although the lack of closets or drawers for clothing was odd (can't extrapolate to the whole hotel since each room has a different design). Bed was comfortable, bathroom was small, but serviceable, so no complaints on that end.

All that being said, the price was steep, and there weren't a lot of amenities for it. Had I been to Amsterdam before and realized just how accessible it is and how close things are I probably would have booked a less expensive hotel not quite so much in the center of things. That is certainly what I would do next time, since I would have been able to see just as much of the city as staying at Hotel the Exchange. Also, while the staff was friendly, I wouldn't call them knowledgeable about Amsterdam. When I asked them to suggest their favourite places in Amsterdam they just gave the stock tourist book answers. I would also avoid their associated restaurant, which is right next door. Expensive instant machine coffee and slightly stale croissants.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel as I've seen some quirky and stunning photos online. However, I can't say that I was impressed by this hotel at all: the location is central but awfully touristy (the equivalent of staying in Times Square in NYC or Leicester Square in London). The rooms are VERY small- I had to ask for an upgrade from a 2 to a 3 star hotel to be able to stay here at all as the first room reminded me of a tiny hospital room and was blazingly hot with no air-conditioning available. I have been to Amsterdam over ten times and stayed in various locations/ hotels and this is my least favorite by far.

I checked in late (around 10.30pm) and as I arrived I asked for bottle of water as there is no bar in the rooms- this was not possible which I find odd in a hotel with over 60 rooms... It's also worth noting that this hotel is in a very noisy location, I found getting a good night's rest difficult.

I would not recommend this hotel, the lovely LLoyd hotel (a sister hotel I believe) has much more character and is offers much better value for money. In short: The Exchange Hotel is disappointing, inhospitable and over-prized.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business