“Quick lunch in an average restaurant”
Review of The Mexican

The Mexican
Ranked #959 of 4,190 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed February 13, 2014

For 25 Euros it was a decent lunch but the squid was overcooked and I'm still not convinced it was even squid in the first place but as we were starving and had to eat I didn't bother complaining. By partner had a chicken burrito which was enjoyed very much and he ate every bite of it. The only server was juggling serving food from standing outside touting her restaurant for trade (I think its the only reason why we went in as we felt bad for her) Don't think we would rush back here if we returned to the city but in all honesty, it was not a bad experience and I've had much worse.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We ate here for our first meal in Amsterdam we had the lunch menu which were both advertised & explained to be €8.90 pp! however on receiving the bill they'd charged us near €15 each (excluding drinks)- Not a great amount I know however NOT the point. THE SETTING: basically a cramped Mexican greasy spoon. THE FOOD: nothing special cheap and thrown on the plate. THE STAFF: obnoxious & unhelpful. Would not recommend, keep walking there were plenty of other places along the street that would be more worthy of your cash.

1  Thank Emma804
Reviewed January 6, 2014

On our trip to Amsterdam during Christmas period my fiancee and I stopped into the Mexican for dinner on the first night.
The restaurant is nice and clean if a little small for its location.
for starters my fiancee had soup (not very Mexican i know!!) and i had jalepeno poppers both of which we nice and tasty and hot.
for our main courses we had chicken enchiladas and beef burrito, again the food was nice and we didnt wait long for it either.
I wouldnt say its the best Mexican restaurant i've been to but i couldnt really complain about much either.
the service was good and the food was hot and tasty.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We visited this place after good reviews (despite its proximity to the city centre).
On ordering drinks (3 cocktails and a coke) we were told they don't 'have' tap water.
When the mojitos came, they tasted as if the syrup mixes had contaminated the soda water.

After explaining to the manager that the mojito's were of poor quality (old brown mint included), she informed us that she couldn't take it back as I'd sipped it and she could not sell it on!

Although alarm bells went off then, we stayed with our order, to much disappointment.

All in all the below food for 4 cost €110:

Nachos (poor), 4 tacos (poor, with dry chicken) fajitas for two (poor, chicken over cooked and a lot of brown meat), Mojitos (poor), Margarita (too sweet), Coke (ok), Heineken (fine).

When the best thing on the menu is the sour cream, they are doing something wrong!

3  Thank AD109
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I enjoyed the Mexican breakfast- two eggs, tortilla, chorizo, cheese and my husband had the chicken quesadilla. It was a great meal to begin a day exploring the wonderful city. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. I would definitely return here on my next trip to Amsterdam. It is not very big but luckily we did not have to wait for a table. The table next to us had margaritas with their meals and I will be sampling these next time as they looked very good!!