“much better than i was expecting”

Rancho Argentinian Grill
Ranked #487 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed February 4, 2014

usual hawkers trying to get you in so we decided to give it a go as it wasn't dead but wasn't too busy either. Steaks were lovely...quite pricey. I thought it would be pretty rubbish but it turned out to be better than expected. Steaks very tender and my medium rare was cooked perfectly.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Relatively lowly ranked on Tripadvisor, this was not my choice for the evening as I had planned to go to the nearby and highly rated Alberto's la Forge but my wife decided she wanted Fajitas. Albertos' didn't have them so El Rancho got the nod. The fact that it was less than a third fall didn't fill me with high expectations either but anything in life always seems better when expectations are exceeded and so it was here.

In fact, we both had the Fajitas - beef and chicken - and a very pleasant Argentinian red wine for a very reasonable price. The beef was particularly good and while rare but perfectly seared when the Fajitas were served it got a little overcooked on the hot plate as the meal progressed. The chicken was dry, however, and might have been cooked earlier and then sliced and reheated on the fajitas hot plate.

Other reviewers have discounted this restaurant as serving tourist fare and that maybe the case but while there are bland elements - the guacamole wasn't great parts were very good tourist fare and very reasonably priced. After our wine was finished we had a few beers and a couple of Gin and Tonics but didn't realise how good the prices were until having a few more of the same beverages costing over 50% more in the Aran pub just a few blocks away.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had the best ribs - great atmosphere, quick service. Can recommend the restaurant. The fajitas were also great.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

If you want a good meal at average price this is the place. If you want Michelin star then it i definitely not. Part of a franchise similar to Zizzi or ASK in the UK.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We went here because my boyfriend saw the 'unlimited ribs for 15 euros' on the restaurant window as we passed. He said they were very nice. I had the nachos to start with (which is a bag of Doritos and a dip.... Not what we were expecting for 5 euros) and the salmon for dinner (which was fine) ... The service was very very slow and the 'couples tables' are far too close together...almost back to back!! Not really worth a visit but great (my boyfriend says) if you fancy some ribs!