“great location, nice hotel”

Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #95 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed here with 3 of my girlfriends and we had an amazing time. The hotel was very clean and lovely modern decor. Our room had a lovely view and the bar on the top floor was very chic with amazing views. The location was ideally located a short tram ride to Dam sq with a tram stop right outside the hotel. I got a really decent price when we stayed here as it hadnt long been open, i think it worked out at about £30pp but i have recently priced it up to go again and found the prices have dramatically increased. Although a lovely hotel, i wouldnt be prepared to pay more than £50pppn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear key1982,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us a review online.

I’m very glad to read that you have enjoyed you stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre. The roomrates do indeed change on a daily basis. In case you would like to know our best available rate in case of any future stay, please do contact our reservation office.

It was a pleasure welcoming you as a guest and I do hope to welcome you back any time soon.

There are newer reviews for Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed at the Apollo Ramada with my partner for 5 days in the last week of February. We were celebrating our anniversary and thought Amsterdam would be make an interesting location.

We considered staying within the City Centre but the prices for the flash hotels were out of our budget. We looked at plenty of smaller and independent hotels, but most of those tended to have shared bathrooms. After a lot of searching we found a good deal for our Monday to Friday trip at the Ramada via a travel agency website.

Other reviews were convincing that this was the right place and it was.

However, we were concerned by comments of paying a deposit upon arrival and it was true. When we turned up on the Monday night to check-in we were told we had to pay a £50 deposit. It was a day before pay-day for both of us, but luckily we had an overdraft to use to pay this, otherwise we just had 60 euros in cash between us. I wish that guest were informed of this deposit before arrival.

Despite that, the hotel was phenomenal. We were on the 11th floor which gave us a great view towards Amsterdam City. The room was modern with an ensuite included. It was a nice touch that our name appeared on the Plasma screen welcoming us to the Apollo Hotel. There were plenty of channels to choose from with a handful of English ones.

Our room was clean daily and if we ran out of tea bags, milk or coffee, reception were happy to give us some when asked.

Location is good, there's a small shuttle bus that goes between the hotel and the airport. Upon arrival it is free but we had to pay for the return, which worked out to be 10 Euros each.

As for distance between the City Centre, it's about 10 to 15 minutes on the tram which is located on the main road by the hotel. After 2 days we were well accustomed to using the Trams but I would advise picking up a free tram map.

We spent most days in the City, morning til night so we didn't get to visit the top floor restaurant and bar. The menu that was on our rooms plasma screen was well out of our price range which also put us off visiting it.

If you are going to Amsterdam as a couple, this is an ideal Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Matt_GF

Dear Matt_GF,

Thank you very most fort his most wonderful review on tripadvisor!

The fact that you describe the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre as the ´Nicest Hotel you´ve every stayed at´ is a very big compliment to the whole team.

Regarding the deposit, I indeed would like to inform you that this is a standard polivy in all 4 and 5 star properties in Amsterdam. Please do contact me in person to see whit who you did book the Ramada Apollo Hotel. I will definitely contact this agency.

Again, thank you very much for these wonderful words and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Had a great Easter Weekend stay at this lovely modern hotel. Spotlessly clean and staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Only downside, located 2+km out of city centre. However a No13 tram took you straight into the city and they stop regularly outside hotel.

Would recommend hotel to family and friends.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn W
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Dawn,

Thank you very much fort his most excellent review regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

The hotel is indeed located right next to the city centre of Amsterdam. Tram 13 however, will take each guest to the dam square within just 12 minutes as mentioned in your review.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

A bit of a ways out of town but an easy bike ride or tram ride. It's a big 17 floor building of the type that's impossible to build in Amsterdam proper due to the soft and soggy ground so offers grand views over all of Amsterdam or over the countryside. The rooms are decent size and amenities mostly modern though the plumbing on higher floors is a bit variable. The breakfast is only average but the setting makes it worthwhile -- top floor with the grand views.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank neur14

Dear neur14,

Thank you very much for leaving us such a lovely review on tripadvisor.

I would also like to thank you for providing us with such useful feedback regarding the breakfast and our plumbing. These points will definitely be discussed among all responsible managers.

Again, thank you very much for taking time to leave us a review and I do hope to welcome you back any time soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Having originally booked a central hotel - apollo museum hotel we were told on arrival there was no room for us and had to move. Having booked in February and no mention of any problems in email received a few hours earlier we were somewhat surprised and concerned - I have recently had surgery which affected mobility and had emailed hotel about this asking for room to be accessible via lift etc ...

Anyway it was late and we just wanted to get into a room so I could rest so agreed , had a drink on the house and hotel arranged taxi transfer to the ramada or whatever it is now known and we got checked straight in to room 728 which was lovely , a lot more space than I've experienced in more central hotels in the dam

Positives

Free bottled water in room
Tram very convenient , bought a 72 hr pass and used it a lot as I couldn't walk far
Bar was lovely , €8.50 I think for a mojhito which wasn't too bad - €7.50 for four tiny but tasty chicken skewers less of a bargain
Staff were very pleasant and helpful , shuttle back to airport was complimentary due to us having been moved etc

Negatives

Headboard console very odd and on two consecutive nights I bruised my face from the sharp corners - be careful and ask for additional pillows if needed , one provided was square in shape

Beds not made up or changed once in 3 night stay - first day we had left do not disturb on door but on days 2 and 3 not changed , did manage to get towels from cleaner though

Returning to hotel on the evening of our last stay our hotel door was open , we had noticed it needed a firm push to secure and had left it closed. Our card keys had been cancelled , turned out they didn't realise our stay was 3 nights due to mix up and quickly rectified - I'm assuming housekeeping had entered the room in our absence and not securely closed door , very lucky to have had nothing taken etc. we reported this upon leaving next day and staff were very concerned and said they would get it fixed.

Shower gel should be provided , I know you can get from reception etc but it's a pretty standard provision in a 4 star hotel - yes I know the green reasoning etc but sometimes feel hotels too keen to use this as excuse to be cheap

We would definitely stay again despite the couple of grumbles - but our original hotel would probably have been better location wise when I needed to return to hotel to rest etc

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank HayleyMichelin

Dear HayleyMichelin,

Thank you very much for leaving us such an extended review on tripadvisor!

I do however want to apologize for the inconvenience suffered when changing hotels. On the other side I’m very satisfied to read that you have enjoyed the service provided at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the room, facilities and housekeeping department. These will definitely be discussed to improve our level of service.

The fact that you might be coming back can be seen as a big compliment and I will definitely share this among my team.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Visited Amsterdam to see all of the central attractions. This hotel was perfect - tram access is easy. Tip - when paying for the tram buy 24/48 hour tickets, they are cheaper.

The hotel is clean, modern and comfortable. Shuttle very efficient and useful. Wait just outside the door at Schipol and you will be picked up.

We visited the bar upstairs - be careful, it's expensive. Can't comment on food - we never ate in. There are so many places to eat in town and on the tram ride into town.

Staff were helpful and friendly. Would stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ltwinterz,

Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre!

The fact that you would stay with us again is a big compliment to the whole Ramada team and I will definitely share your comments among them.

Thank you very much for staying at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Arrived with my mother on 15th April 2014 at around 8:30pm. Only 3 staff members manning the reception desks, which would have been okay if not for 2 large Asian tour groups which arrived at about the same time and completely overwhelming the lobby.

I asked if we could be given a twin room. After 10 minutes of waiting (they could not find a twin room in the entire hotel), we were assigned to room 605. Went up there and room was a mess - it had not been made up. Went downstairs with heavy luggage to ask why we were put in a dirty room. Staff replied there had been a mistake, told us to go upstairs to the bar to wait for 30 minutes until room cleaned. We refused as we were tired and hungry and wanted to rest. They then sent us to a "better room" - 905.

It was a disaster, room 905. The pungent smell of sewage hit us when we opened the door. There was obviously something blocked in the toilet/ shower. Manager came to have a look, said he will drain the pipes tomorrow. Could not move us as all rooms full. Really poor sleep quality that night. Also in room 905, no dustbin in the room, kettle does not turn off automatically, and wardrobe light did not come on. TERRIBLE!!!

The next day, we bumped into a housekeeping staff in the morning. Requested for toothbrushes. Also told her of smell in bathroom. She said she will use "chemicals" to solve the problem. Back in the night after a long day of sightseeing. No toothbrushes in the room and sewage problem also still there. Rang reception to ask for room change.

We were moved to 1024 eventually. Finally a room with no smell of poo!

Checked out after 3 nights. We were told to put luggage in locker room in basement as we wanted to go sightseeing about checking out. For a hotel with at least 400 rooms, there were only 40 lockers. When we got there, the room was packed with people and we could not even find a free locker. WHAT A JOKE! We just left our bag in the room on the floor and left. Told reception staff and they said okay, they will "move the bag to a safe place". Lies again, because our bag was right where we left it when we returned that evening to collect.

I am a frequent and experienced traveller. This hotel really just doesn't cut it. It has been a long time since I have been so disappointed. Staff members really lack competency which demonstrates lack of proper training.

I WON'T BE RETURNING!

Room Tip: Don't go to room 905!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Duckfu

Dear Duckfu,

I’m very sorry to read about your rather negative guest experience.
Please do contact me in person so we can discuss this serious matter.