“Would stay again”

Ranked #83 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here recently for 3 nights after driving from Calais. Hotel is very easy to find and there is ample parking in the underground car park which is charged at €15 a day. my Mother and Sister shared one room and I shared another with my 17 year old son, we were on the 8th floor.
First impressions are always important and the receptionist was polite and helpful as we were checked in quickly.
The room itself was nice with a 32" flat screen TV on the wall which had loads of British channels. There was a safe and tea/coffee making facilities though storage space was limited. We had a great view of the park and also noticed how quiet it was.
Beds were comfy but the pillows were way too fat for me and I could not use them.
Access to the city centre is easy on the number 13 tram right outside the hotel, just buy a 24hour ticket for €7.50 on board and this will last you all day just make a note of the name of the tram stop for when you return.
We had a short stroll on the first evening looking for somewhere to eat, there aren't that many places around and we ended up in the hotel's restaurant which is expensive. Breakfast in the restaurant is excellent with great choice. In our rooms there was a card which said "Complimentary tea/coffee service on the 17th floor" (picture attached) well we tried this one evening and they did not know what we were talking about and the guy said the only complimentary tea/coffee was at Breakfast...but we paid for breakfast!
All in all though a nice hotel and I would stay again if visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wooler
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Wooler,

With regards to the complimentary tea/coffee service I can tell you that it is free in the hotel room and at the breakfast area. If you would like to have a FULL coffee and tea experience we refer to our Skybar Floor17. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre upon a future visit to Amsterdam.

Kindest regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Have just come back from Amsterdam the hotel pure perfection clean and modern which I love only thing I would say is I'm not a big fan of powdered milk would of liked fresh milk but no bid deal other than that amazing, good location beautiful scenery stayed on 8th floor so lovely. bed sooo comfortable

Recommend to anyone :)

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bella H
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Bella H,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us!

The Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre Team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back during on one of your next trips to Amsterdam.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during the Easter school holidays with a friend and were very impressed. The staff were very helpful and accommodating especially when we decided to stay an extra night, no probs. the room was very clean and the twin bed (2 mattresses on a super king bed) were very comfy. It was a bit far to walk to central Amsterdam but the tram stop was directly outside the building to go to dam square. Lovely view up in the restaurant too

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Kiwitraveller84
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Kiwitraveller84,

I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. We are very happy to get 5 out of 5.

We always try to make every stay a memorable stay! I am so happy to read you are very impressed with the hotel and the staff!

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Warm regards,

Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Recently I had a very early arrival on a visit to the Netherlands and found that the combination of domestic US travel combined with a transatlantic crossing made me hit Schiphol Airport at 6:00 am in the morning. I decided that a few hours of sleep would both do me good and get me on track with local time. I saw the Ramada hotel bus upon exiting the airport building and asked the driver if they offered rooms for a partial day with immediate check-in. The driver contacted the front desk, and they adviced that I could have a room till 4:00pm at a rate of 70 euro. I decided that this was a fair rate and was transported to the hotel, and was able to go to my room immediately. The staff was very helpfull, and although I had the feeling that they did not have a lot of experience with my specific request, they responded admirable.
The room was good and the staff was great. I happily recomment this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 4320abc
Dear 4320abc,

Thank you so much for your nice review.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with a us. We do not have a lot of requests for a day use room. Therefore it is possible that you had the feeling that the receptionists did not have a lot of experience with your request. We always do our utmost to make anyone’s stay and requests as pleasant as possible.

Thank you for recommending our hotel I really appreciate it!

We do hope to get the chance to welcome you back as our guest in the near future and maybe for a longer stay!

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great hotel, great view, great location! We stayed 3 nights from 5 to 8 of January, 2013. Beautiful, clean & modern room, great breakfast, free WIFI, friendly staffs and there are tram stops in front of the hotel. We had a very enjoyable stay and will definitely be back to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Leo W
Dear Leo W,

Thank you so much for your nice review!

It really is pure joy to read that your stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre was great!
I am happy to read that you will definitely come back to our hotel.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future!

Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at the Apollo in Dec 2012 to visit the Xmas Markets, however no Markets....thank you travel company!!! The hotel is clean and comfortable, however you are a tram ride out of town so this was a bit disappointing as there is no where to eat or drink within walking distance of the hotel. Our room was comfortable but on the small side, the hotel is not very attractive from the outside as it looks like a 70's office block, I was expecting the staff to be wearing roll necks and slacks but they where all smartly dressed and very helpful....shame!! On the plus side they do run an airport shuttle service which makes life easier, however for the price I would have preferd to stay more central and in walking distance to all the bars and restuarants of Amsterdam Central.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear MPound,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

I'm sorry to read that you had some difficulties with our location. I can emphasize that the hotel is at 10 minutes distance from the heart of the city, but with the ease of Tram 13 it is nice to come back to a peaceful location away from the noise.
When you exit the hotel to the main road 'Jan Evertsenstraat' take a right (Centraal Station direction) and walk about 5 minutes. You will find all the restaurants, fast foods and even a large supermarket.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 for four nights. We (couple and one child) had an "Executive Large King Bed" room on the 10th floor (1016). By looking at the escape plan on the back of the door, it appears that only two rooms (per floor?) are larger than the rest - and we were not disappointed by the size of the room. I paid €406 for the four nights. There was ample room for the three of us, a large, probably Queen Size bed, a large bathroom with shower, bath and twin sinks. My young son had a fold out bed which he was comfortable on.

The hotel is a refurbishment of an old building into a modern hotel, which took place in August 2012, I believe. Therefore the rooms and corridors are generally still very new looking and still have that new carpet aroma.

LOCATION - located about fifteen to twenty minutes from the city center by tram. A tram stop is right outside and runs regularly (number 13). I think a single journey is €2.80, therefore we bought a 72 hour ticket for all travel at the cost of €16.50, but made the mistake of not buying it at the airport. Therefore, we had to travel in to the city to buy it at the main station. So the tip is to get them at the airport so that you are ready to go when you first venture out.

TRANSFER - the hotel runs a minibus transfer from Schipol Airport. We squeezed on to the bus and thankfully left no-one behind, but I could see how others would have to wait for the next bus if it were full. Still worth the wait though as a taxi would have been costly. On returning to the airport, the Ramada charges €5 per person - still worth it - and you can reserve your seat.

OTHER POSITIVES - Beautiful views - didn't close the curtains at night so we got the city lights all around. Not noisy - never heard another guest and the road noise was not noticeable from the 10th floor. Free luggage lockers in the basement were ideal for after checkout as we had a late flight. Received a discount for a boat tour - see the barcode on the Ramada city map from reception. Free WiFi at 20Mbps speed. Large TV with UK channels. Free large safe in room, iron and board, and hairdryer. Fantastic 17th floor bar and restaurant - great views - great cocktails - nice bar. Bakery and supermarket two blocks away in the neighbouring square.

NEGATIVES - no sink plugs (minor detail) but had the chain reattached to the bath plug without fuss! Only supplied two paper cups for drinks, despite there being three of us - rectified after I left a note. I was not too worried about there being paper cups - I could see the benefits in supplying fresh ones each day. Restaurant too expensive to use really - the hotel is well priced for its location, but then seems to be out pricing itself on its food - therefore we never ate there and enjoyed the restaurants in the city instead. Biggest negative for me was the price of the breakfast - again, we would have used it more, but at €17.50 per person (worked out at 15GBP) it was too expensive for the three of us (maybe the exchange rate doesn't help?). We ate there for two mornings out of the four, for convenience and a treat as the breakfast was really nice - but if it was more reasonably priced around the €12.00 mark we would have used it four times! This is the only reason that I rate the hotel four, and not five out of five.

Overall I would definitely recommend the hotel, with the tip to use the bakery in the neighbouring square for a budget breakfast or instead venture into the city for the cafe lifestyle.

Final tip - book your Anne Frank house tickets in advance on-line. Massive queues otherwise!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner that overlooks the city if you are going for one of the two executive rooms per f...