“Beautiful hotel!”

Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #93 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've been to Ramada in October 2012 with my sister & my friend.
It was a really pleasant stay. Beautiful spacious rooms, amazing rooftop for breakfast.
A breathtaking view over all Amsterdam.
It is next to schiphol airport, but a bit far from the center but that was ok we were able to view more of Amsterdam.
The crew was really nice, always smiling. Some of them speak French.
The rooms were really clean, food was great.
You have to visit it!

Room Tip: Any room you may choose is great
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank StephaniedeG

Reviewed November 12, 2012

There are a few things that really confirm what other people have written. I didnt mind the location as the trams are very close and very regular. I stayed in a standard room which is quite small but adequate. The water pressure for the shower is very poor and i didnt feel like i had got a proper wash. Whilst i understand the reasons for paper cups in the room i didnt like it. No headboard for the bed making it uncomfortable if you want to sit up. Not pillows but pretty hard square cushion to lie on. Checking out was a bit laboured too. It was very clean and new and a decent bar with great views on the 17th floor but i would choose a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian P
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in November 2012 after booking a short weekend break, the hotel is only a 15 minute journey from the airport but cost us 35euro in a taxi! The hotel is a bit out of the way and there isnt a supermarket or anything near by but there is a tram stop just outside the hotel were trams to the city centre are every few mins and its a 15 minute journey. After going to the city centre I'm glad we were a little out of the way. The hotel was modern a bit unfinished- they were working on things when we were there. The rooms are small but are well decorated and modern. There is no heating or air con except for in the bathroom. And there are only spotlights so the room is a little dark. Breakfast was ok, mostly continental no fried eggs or sausages or anything like that. Staff in the hotel were ok, helpful when asked but sometimes a little rude. We also were disturbed to check out when we had paid extra for late check out. There is definitely a lack of communication between the staff. Helli on reception was lovely and very helpful. We were also asked to leave a credit card or 150 euro deposit which ive never had before and the staff were very rude when we questioned it. Would probably not return to this hotel as the little finishing touches like breakfast and some reception staff let it down.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My stay at the ramada was perfect for a few days. Although I must say I expected a lot more from this named hotel.

Bad points the showers were terrible was like a trickle if water had no power. The room was serviced as a stay but all they done was fresh towels and made up the bed no bathroom was cleaned so shower was dirty for us the next day and the dust was thick. Room was freezing didn't seem to warm up at all. This was an executive room.

Good points staff very friendly hotel was stunning to anyone would look very clean but working in a 5star relais and chateux property I knew where to check to see if was clean. The view from the 17th floor was amazing Friday night the bar was bouncing. With good music on.

Would consider stating again if I couldn't get anywhere else close to the centre.

Jo

2  Thank Jojohazelm
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Apollo from the 5th November to the 7th. Overall the hotel is great for a short stay. My wife and I got a great deal on this hotel so for what we paid it was good value. The rooms are very modern and the staff at the hotel were amazing. They were extremely helpful. The airport shuttle is brilliant but be careful as it can get quite full. My brother in law and sister in law flew in later that day and had to wait for the shuttle bus to return to the airport as the first shuttle was completely full. Please also be aware that hotel is not central so if its your first time in Amsterdam then it may not be the best hotel for you. As it was my third time in Amsterdam I had no issues with catching the tram and the stop is literally outside the hotel.

There are a few negatives that I think a four star hotel does need to address. First as mentioned on previous reviews is the shower. There is no power at all and it is like a trickle of water. The second negative is that they provide no toiletries at all. For a four star hotel I found that this was quite strange. The third and final negative is that the area surrounding the hotel is not that great. Although we had no trouble it is something to be mindful of. Overall a pleasant stay with brilliant staff and the view from the 17th floor is worth the visit alone.

4  Thank Bb00ssb
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice rooms, great view from the 17th. Floor restaurant, close to center with easy access by tram 13 to city center, very friendly stuff, and finally the room rate also is very competitive.
Mamdouh Saleeb
Egypt

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mamdouh S
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam for 3 nights in November 2012. We had a mixed experience at this hotel, and I think it would be fair to say there is room for improvement.

The plus points of the hotel were:
- location (tramline 13 stops just outside the hotel and it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get to the city centre. We found the trams to be pretty consistent),
- value for money,
- the bar on the 17th floor with lovely panoramic views of Amsterdam,
- the airport shuttle service, and
- the friendly and helpful staff.

The negative aspects of the hotel were:

- the beds (the mattresses were very, very soft to the extent that my friend now needs to see a chiropractioner),
- the lack of choice of pillows/duvets/blankets (there were only very large pillows which tended to give users a neck ache),
- the lack of toileteries in the bathrooms (there was a shower gel/shampoo dispenser in the shower but no conditioner, shower caps, cotton buds, or the usual stuff one would expect to find in the bathroom of a 4 star hotel),
- there was no minibar in the room (again, surprising for a 4 star),
- the misinformation / miscommunication between hotel staff members (we were informed by reception that there were small pillows and blankets but then were informed by housekeeping that such luxuries did not exist),
- the pressure of the water in the showers could have been stronger but I'm just being picky now,
- the inability for guests to control the temperature of the bedrooms (our rooms were freezing and just would not heat up enough so I ended up sleeping under two duvets on the last night),
- the dust in the rooms.

Some of the "negative aspects" might not bother some guests (if for example, they like soft beds and are used to massive pillows) but I just thought I'd flag up these issues to people who have dust allergies and like orthopaedic mattresses.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends