“Lovely hotel outside of Amsterdam centre”

Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #92 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Good location, just out of the centre of Amsterdam but close enough. All the staff were very polite and helpful. The views from our room were great, overlooking the views of the city, and the bar on the 17th floor was a lovely treat. The shuttle service from the airport is brilliant, with a free incoming journey and then just 5 euros each for the return trip. The room was lovely and new. Stayed for three nights in September and got a great deal.

2  Thank Melanie W

Reviewed September 29, 2012

OK.

So went to Amsterdam as had a few days free and booked last minute.

This hotel in terms of location is fine, there is a tram stop right into town just a few minutes walk away and assuming you pay attention you won't get lost coming back (ie me) you need to take tram number 13! 17 and 7 go close but 13 is perfect.

So the hotel, I stand waiting to be seen by reception and although there is enough staff, they seem to have their head down and not really paying attention to me. After a few minutes a female manager came to see me. The whole process was devoid of personality and seemed a little smug (Not sure this is word I need but seems fine when I write it) just did not seem overly interested in me. So got my keycard, nothing at all explained about the hotel or breakfast, and pointed to the lifts.

I go into my room and first thing I notice is my bed looks like it has been slept in.. it was made but looked liked someone had been sleeping on the top then I looked at the room closer and realised it was a dirty room, with bin full of rubbish and old coffee cups on table.

So I head down to reception to speak to same woman and she makes me feel like I am lying by telling me the room is clean on her system..ok.. thats all nice and good but its dirty so change it?
Then given an other room and got to room and keycard did not work, so again, all the way back down to see this same woman who by this time was quite sarcastic in her tone in suggesting she would "come with me to make sure" this time, Well her offer was declined and I went back this time all worked. The room was lovely and new, I liked the layout and loved the fact the tv stations were local to me!

The shower room was a bit basic with a few plastic cups and thats it and shampoo was out in shower (both days)

The view from level 17 bar/restaurant is unmissable but the prices are missable and very over the top for what they are.

There is no pool but there is a gym and sunbed room (strange?) and lovely sauna.

So overall...

Hotel gets 4 and half stars, service gets 1 so averaged it out to 3 stars.

How to improve? Hire people who are customer focused. I am a assistant manager in 4 star hotel in Edinburgh and I realise it is the small things not the big things that make the difference.

Oh yeah and airport shuttle was late! and I made my flight by nearly begging staff to let me on and with some amazing luck! So pay attention early morning for shuttle, pre book and book an earlier one just in case as motorway is terrible.

Room Tip: As for room near top? Why not huh! I was on 4th floor and seen trees.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Christopher S
Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Mr. Skene,

I would like to thank you immensely for taking the time to provide us with some very valuable feedback regarding our property, your stay with us, and the level of service you received. As you know, we are still quite new and appreciate any suggestions for areas of improvement. We are disappointed to hear that your stay was not ideal and rest assured that we will address this with the front office staff.

I hope you will come back and see us again in the near future to see the improvements we are already implementing!

Kind regard,
Imre Heijboer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Hotel is newly built just outside Amsterdam centre

Good points:
- price, having just opened this hotel is offering really competitive prices
- Airport shuttle means it is free to get to the hotel and just 5ruro to return. This was both cheap and simple
- Despite being outside the centre, it is just a 15min tram journey out the centre the trams are really frequent and the stop just a few minutes walk away. Recommend getting a 24hr or more pass. They tend to run out of these on the tram but can get from central station (end stop on the team if going into town)
- hotel is clean and modern

Bad points:
- rooms are v small and not much room with luggage. Incidentally it also took me ages to locate the wardrobe in the side of the bed

Overall a pleasant stay at a good price

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joanne055
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Lovely hotel just been renovated so everything is new. Beautiful views especially at night from 17th floor restaurant. Although it is a very expensive place to eat and drink 17.50€ for breakfast per person, for dinner expect to spend 30€ each at least without drink. Overall well located away from main city centre but easy to get to by tram.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Cooksley_10
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed for 6 days, the hotel is new: everything is clean, new and pleasant to touch. We had a corner room on the 13th floor with panoramic windows and a magnificent view. The staff was very polite and helpful. There is a free shuttle from the airport - very convenient, back to the airport they charge 5 Euro per person (still a good deal). The room is small, but very well equipped: small fridge, fan, USB port for charging, free wi-fi, writing desk and a chair, small sitting area with a coffee table, a kettle, an iron and a wardrobe. It's about an hour walk from the Dam, a 15 min ride on a tram. There is a tram stop (# 13) right outside. An hour ride costs 2.7 Euro. The hotel is located in suburbs, near a park. No supermarkets were found nearby. They have a luggage storage room downstairs, with personal lockers.

On the down side: the room was tiny, no bathtub, only a shower that was not very convenient, since it was only party closed and no matter how we tried - the bathroom floor was covered with water. Booked a room with a double bed more than a month in advance. Upon arrival no such rooms were available. Received a room with two joined single beds, but they offered me to check with them tomorrow, since some room might get available. Let's face it, after you unpack - no chance you move a room. The beds were moving and someone always got to sleep between the beds. The blankets were pretty small (we received two single small blankets) and the pillows were rock-hard (pretty bad for my neck). The quality of sleep was not so good.

Overall: we liked this hotel a lot!

2  Thank mariannak387
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Wow! Great find, really reasonable stay & still new. Stayed here for 3 nights with my mother, reception staff really friendly & spoke excellent English. So here goes.

1) please note that the hotel offers free arrival transfer from Schiphol Airport, you can email to check. Then follow signs for Hotel Shuttle Buses from Arrivals hall & look for Ramada Apollo Hotel (to the right hand side). There is a cost for return transfer of 5€ per person & this should be booked at reception & paid for at time of booking.

2) The hotel is on the 13 tram line & is only 20mins from Central Station so very accessible. Taxis can be arranged but so expensive best not to bother.

3) The rooms also have digital safes so you can leave your valuables in the room. I closed door, entered a code of my choosing (I used 3 digits) then pressed # key. Safe then locked! Don't forget your code!

I couldn't fault the service of staff or quality of breakfasts, nothing too much trouble. My only niggle was the pillows & I'm not alone, they are the size of cushions! Most of the guests have commented & the hotel are taking note & hope to resolve this. Don't hesitate to stay here, it's great.

2  Thank Mairi H
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel has been recently refurbished and looks great inside. Very well finished with the bright vibrant schemes you expect from a vibrant city!

The hotel offers a shuttle from the airport which is excellent, and very good value at just €5 per person for the return. (This does not come without it's downside though - see below!)

We arrived at the hotel and were told that no standard rooms were available and that to get a room instantly, we would have to upgrade our room for €15 per night. I decided that it was worth €30 over our two night stay, just to be able to venture out immediately.

We got into our room and it was very standard, two single beds pushed together, a desk in one corner, a makeshift sofa in the other, and not much room to maneuver otherwise. In fact, it appeared very much like a standard room, and I still don't know what the €15 per night upgrade got us. (As I know the hotel manager looks at this site, please can you confirm that room 1124 was not a standard room, and what exactly we got for upgrading?!)

That said, whether the room was standard or not, it was still very clean and tidy, and with a very comfy bed! Again, the rooms were well finished and offered a refreshing stay.

The hotel is a 15 minute tram ride out of the centre. We got a 3 day tram ticket from the office at Centraal Station and this did us proud, very reasonable and definitely recommended, it also gave you access to the buses.

We decided to book the shuttle for the return to the airport for 7pm, this was confirmed and we were given our tickets. When we arrived in reception at (honestly) 6:52pm, we saw the shuttle bus departing the area at the front of the hotel. I asked at reception why the shuttle bus had departed nearly ten minutes early and was told that it was because "there were a lot of people waiting". Great for those who were waiting, not so great for me and my partner who were left in the hotel reception fearing that we would miss our flight. She also told me that the shuttle would be back in 15-20 minutes. Which was a bare-faced lie, as even I know that the airport is 15 minutes away from the hotel, and that including dropping off and picking up, the shuttle would only return in 30-35 minutes. (Imagine my surprise when the bus only showed up again at 7:30!!!).

This was the end of the matter as far as the girl on reception was concerned, telling me that it left early because people were waiting, and further telling me a complete lie about how long it would be to return.

I am confident that in many other hotels around the world. If their privately operated shuttle left early, and left behind passengers who were booked onto, and had tickets for that bus they would have made alternative arrangements to get us to the airport, at their expense and with their most sincere of apologies. This was a monumental slip up on the part of the hotel, and completely ruined my opinion of the place, hence why I have rated it average and the service rating has suffered.

My final "summing up"; By all means, stop at this hotel, on the whole it is lovely and will only get better as time passes and the staff all get used to working in the hotel environment. Don't upgrade your room, because you get nothing for it, and for heavens sake, save yourself the stress and either arrive in reception for the return shuttle 20 minutes early, or sort out your own transfer arrangements!!!

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to anything less than a suite, or you won't even notice the difference!
4  Thank Christopher F